Author Topic: 5th stud mod  (Read 1632 times)

fasterspider

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
5th stud mod
« on: May 12, 2022, 07:27:33 AM »
I was up on the John Bull trail last month and broke my steering coming out if a hole because I neglected to go over and retorque all of the hardware on the knuckle. 3 studs snapped and the 4th was pulling the threads. It sucked bad being up @ 8000' elevation and not being able to breathe with badly dropped blood pressure, I was incapacitated for 5 hours, I couldn't move.
I was stuck in the way for 3 hours and was finally able to roll out of the way with ratchet straps.
My friend Tony went home to get his good rig and trail welder so his 17yr old daughter could weld steel to iron and have it hold long enough to get me off the mountain and into Big Bear City.
AAA was supposed to have a flatbed to pick me up @ 02:25hrs but, the driver said no rejecting the call. I had no choice and drove the 135 miles home and the steering held all the way into my driveway @ 06:02hrs.
I am finally attacking the failure and since I can't afford 6 shooter knuckles I am doing the 5th stud mod.
Have any of you done this less expensive mod and have anything to say about it good or bad.
fasterspider, now older and slower.

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,521
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Re: 5th stud mod
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 01:11:00 PM »
I was up on the John Bull trail last month and broke my steering coming out if a hole because I neglected to go over and retorque all of the hardware on the knuckle. 3 studs snapped and the 4th was pulling the threads. It sucked bad being up @ 8000' elevation and not being able to breathe with badly dropped blood pressure, I was incapacitated for 5 hours, I couldn't move.
I was stuck in the way for 3 hours and was finally able to roll out of the way with ratchet straps.
My friend Tony went home to get his good rig and trail welder so his 17yr old daughter could weld steel to iron and have it hold long enough to get me off the mountain and into Big Bear City.
AAA was supposed to have a flatbed to pick me up @ 02:25hrs but, the driver said no rejecting the call. I had no choice and drove the 135 miles home and the steering held all the way into my driveway @ 06:02hrs.
I am finally attacking the failure and since I can't afford 6 shooter knuckles I am doing the 5th stud mod.
Have any of you done this less expensive mod and have anything to say about it good or bad.

Have you seen these. https://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/keyed-steering-arms-normal/
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 03:06:12 PM »
No I have not and that looks pretty cool but, it is out of my reach for now.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 05:52:57 AM »
I had ARP studs and made sure they were torqued after every trip. I never broke a stud. I really don't see a need for the 5th stud with preventative maintenance.
Time to go wheelin!

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 01:18:41 PM »
I had ARP studs and made sure they were torqued after every trip. I never broke a stud. I really don't see a need for the 5th stud with preventative maintenance.
My neglecting to perform preventive maintenance is why it broke, I got over confident and complacent but, I am doing the 5th stud just because now.
I did drain & fills in the rear diff and transmission, changed the engine oil& filter then adjusted the valves but, I have not gone under the truck to do any maintenance since way back when I rebuilt the left side knuckle 2 years ago. I did check u bolts but, I did just put new Fail Gear springs up front so that was part of the program.

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2022, 10:32:31 PM »
Not too impressed with the kit but, I have to rebuild my knuckle and fix the steering so this kit will be installed.

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2022, 01:08:29 PM »

I don't know how efficient the 5th stud is going to be and my welding does not look even half professional but, it was good enough.
The front end is tight again and she feels good, I just need gas to get home from a trail to try her out.