Author Topic: Cam shaft dowel pin shearing  (Read 1356 times)

90weight

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 468
  • Male Posts: 29
  • Member since Mar '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Cam shaft dowel pin shearing
« on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:07:36 AM »
Hey all,

My son has an 85 Toyota pickup with a 22r and has sheared the camshaft dowel pin twice now :headscratch:. I am wondering what some causes for this might be? Any help would be appreciated. Here's what I know, he bought the motor 80% in Sacramento, private party, been runnin it for couple years now and all the sudden.. bam!  I told my son I would take this matter to the forum for some feedback. Thank you in advance!
84 runner with all kinds of cool things and stuff.. all installed or fabricated by yours truly.. definitely built not bought.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,228
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Cam shaft dowel pin shearing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:30:04 AM »
Hey 90…

I’ve never heard of this failure.

I assume the first cam shaft what was sheered off was replaced with a new camshaft.

Was the replacement cam a different cam or the same part?

After installing the camshaft into the head, it should spin freely with almost zero resistance before installing the rocker rack.

In order to sheer that dowel pin it would take incredibly unusual instantaneous rotational force by the timing chain and sprocket caused by the engine.

The dowel pin in the camshaft could be defective, not properly pressed in, or bad metallurgy.

There would have to be a very high resistance in the camshaft bearings and journal saddles in the head.

What is the timing sprocket being torqued to?

The bolt for distributor gear to the sprocket is factory spec’d at 58 ft. llbs.

What does the mating slot in the sprocket look like?

I would mic the dowel pin and the mating slot on the sprocket and replace the sprocket if it is too large for tight fit with the dowel.

Gnarls. :usa:
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2022, 05:38:48 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

arlindsay1992

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 418
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2022, 06:05:28 AM »
The dowel is not designed to see any load under operation. It is used for alignment of the cam and cam sprocket during assembly. During operation, all the torque is transferred from the cam sprocket to the cam through the friction caused by the clamping force of the cam bolt.

If that bolt isn't tightened properly, the dowel is the only thing left to transfer all the torque required to drive the cam and it's getting hammered back and forth the whole time.

I'd guess the cam sprocket bolt wasn't tightened properly. It might have backed off, but I've never seen that happen.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 535
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2022, 09:34:35 AM »
The dowel is not designed to see any load under operation. It is used for alignment of the cam and cam sprocket during assembly. During operation, all the torque is transferred from the cam sprocket to the cam through the friction caused by the clamping force of the cam bolt.

If that bolt isn't tightened properly, the dowel is the only thing left to transfer all the torque required to drive the cam and it's getting hammered back and forth the whole time.

I'd guess the cam sprocket bolt wasn't tightened properly. It might have backed off, but I've never seen that happen.

+2 on this.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

90weight [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2022, 12:08:54 PM »
Hey all!

Ok, so the first time it happened he was a little hush hush about it with me cause he knew if he brought his truck to my shop it would be down for a bit and torn apart till it was corrected right! ( hates how long it takes me to do stuff on my truck but hasn't had to drag ME out yet)  So he went about it himself and just replaced the dowel pin.. reassembled and ran it last couple months. Now when it broke Saturday we were wheelin together and now it's at my shop and We will get to the bottom of it. I asked him about the torque on that bolt and he swore he torqued it correctly. Gnarls when I get it tore apart I will photograph and post. My guess is that dowel pin hole is compromised now or was the first time and theres somethin up with that bolt backing out.. thank all you guys for the replies.. I will be back to report.
84 runner with all kinds of cool things and stuff.. all installed or fabricated by yours truly.. definitely built not bought.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,228
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2022, 01:37:49 PM »
Hey 90...

As it was mentioned the dowel is used for locating the sprocket to the cam… cam timing and ignition timing.

That pin fitting into the slot on the sprocket is a VERY tight as I remember.  So.. although it is designed to locate the sprocket to camshaft, it will prevent any slippage and the sprocket to rotate, even if the bolt is torqued to 58 lbs. – like other “pins”.

How did he “just replaced the dowel pin”??  :dunno:

One thing I did not mentioned is where are the sheared off down pins?  :dunno:

Did they drop into oil pan?  Is there any evidence of metal wear and possible tiny metal pieces getting into the crankcase oil?   :yikes:

And.. if the pin has been sheared because the bolt has become loose, did the sprocket rotate out of clock with the camshaft?  What happened to the ignition timing and the cam timing?  :dunno:

Gnarls. :usa:
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2022, 01:38:22 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2022, 04:28:43 PM »
If the camshaft bolt is too long, you would reach the torque reading on the torque wrench before you had sufficient clamping load.

Or a low grade replacement bolt was used and it stretches so you don't get the clamping load.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,727
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:03:14 AM »
If the camshaft bolt is too long, you would reach the torque reading on the torque wrench before you had sufficient clamping load.

Or a low grade replacement bolt was used and it stretches so you don't get the clamping load.

Or if the washer was left off?
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 535
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2022, 04:36:45 PM »
Now, inspect the pin holes in the sprocket and the cam. Might need to replace them if the holes are wallered out. The beating associated with the  cam bolt being loose and the back and forth on the pin will pound the holes out of round and cause a mushrooming on the mating surfaces. If the mating surfaces are not flat the cam sprocket will wobble and wear out the chain and the guides post haste. With that wobble will come an issue with keeping the bolt tight as well.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

90weight [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2022, 07:10:05 AM »
Will do, I was just getting ready to start my exo cage so now the plate is really full. Thank you all. Will report back with photos as we are disassembling if anyone is interested.