Author Topic: ‘82 22R engine white smoke  (Read 10783 times)

Groundpounder17

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 99
  • Member since Oct '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
‘82 22R engine white smoke
« on: Jan 10, 2021, 09:56:55 AM »
I bought an ‘82 pickup 4wd last spring from California and had it shipped to me in Kentucky.  It was in good shape and kept in storage. Supposedly the po was going to restore for his daughter but she wanted something else. He bought it from an old man that mostly pulled it behind an RV for camping trips. When I got it there was around 113,000 miles on it.  It now has about 117,000 miles

It runs reliably and well. It’s my daily driver.  But it does have some issues.   When I first start it up it has white smoke but after running for a while the smoke goes away.  I’ve also noticed it burns about a quart of oil every 1000 miles.  The oil looks good and I don’t see any water in the oil, but over the past couple months I’ve noticed the radiator level has dropped about an inch. I see no leaking oil on the concrete, but where the mechanical fuel pump is located it looks oily. I think my fuel pump needs replacing but it might be leaking oil in that area where the head meets the block.  I need to further investigate. 

I want to do a compression check and want a good made in the USA kit. Anyone have a recommendation?  I see that GSI Industries makes a made in the USA kit. Anyone have experience with them?

I’ve also noticed my truck has been idling very high lately.  I suspect a vacuum leak is causing it. I hate that floor mount gas pedal too. It seems to attract dirt and grime causing that to get sticky at the hinge.  My dipstick is so loose that it could cause a vacuum leak. I see Jim at 22RE performance has a new tube and dipstick for the 85-95, but I don’t think that will fit my 82.

So I plan to check my compression and do a leak down test.  Figure out where my engine stands and source my problem.  I’m hoping it’s not a blown head gasket.

I’m hoping I don’t need a rebuild just yet, but if I do should I rebuild this block or get an 85 or newer block?  I know that a lot of things are different with the old blocks like mine and you can’t get new heads for the older ones. 

Any recommendations?

‘82 Toyota RN38, mostly stock

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
Re: ‘82 22R engine white smoke
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2021, 10:18:45 AM »
How does it start? Does it fire after a couple of cranks at most, or does it have to crank for 5-20 seconds?

Groundpounder17 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2021, 10:20:45 AM »
How does it start? Does it fire after a couple of cranks at most, or does it have to crank for 5-20 seconds?

Starts reliably within 5 seconds

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2021, 10:42:35 AM »
Hey G….

You should have some good input from some very experienced guys on this forum.

Getting info from Jim at 22RE Performance is a good idea.

The compression check and leakdown tests should tell you what’s going on with your engine.

From your description I have a bad feeling it’s got head gasket issues, and a quart of oil in 1,000 miles is excessive and you will probably get some low compression numbers.

Before you decide to rebuild the engine, I highly recommend you do lots and lots of research and get lots of opinions from some experts and those suppliers of parts. In my limited experience, there seems to be DIYers out there that can do a rebuild very successfully and those who have problems.

If you choose to buy a long block as an option to rebuilding the block from scratch, I highly suggest you do lots of research into who’s long block will work best for your budget and desired quality level.

I believe that to rebuild one of these early Toyota engines takes a lot more skills, knowledge, time, and money if you want it to go 200K or 300K miles, than some guys have claimed.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Groundpounder17 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2021, 10:53:51 AM »
Hey G….

You should have some good input from some very experienced guys on this forum.

Getting info from Jim at 22RE Performance is a good idea.

The compression check and leakdown tests should tell you what’s going on with your engine.

From your description I have a bad feeling it’s got head gasket issues, and a quart of oil in 1,000 miles is excessive and you will probably get some low compression numbers.

Before you decide to rebuild the engine, I highly recommend you do lots and lots of research and get lots of opinions from some experts and those suppliers of parts. In my limited experience, there seems to be DIYers out there that can do a rebuild very successfully and those who have problems.

If you choose to buy a long block as an option to rebuilding the block from scratch, I highly suggest you do lots of research into who’s long block will work best for your budget and desired quality level.

I believe that to rebuild one of these early Toyota engines takes a lot more skills, knowledge, time, and money if you want it to go 200K or 300K miles, than some guys have claimed.

Gnarls.

I suspect I will soon need a rebuild. This engine feels tired so am guessing I’ll have some low compression numbers.  I’d like to wait on the engine if I can because I was wanting to pull my bed and have it dustless blasted and work on it before tackling the engine.

Do you have a recommendation on a good compression tester? Preferably American made?   If I do have bad numbers and have to rebuild I would either get Jim to build me one or I could try to rebuild mine.  If I get a newer block I’d have Jim build it.  Jim won’t rebuild the old blocks.

I guess I’m wondering really if I should rebuild this block or just get the newer (85+) block

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2021, 11:01:26 AM »
Another question: Do you use synthetic oil? I seem to remember hearing tales of synthetic oil leaving white smoke when it burned.

A leak down test will tell you more than a compression test and more than I ever can from the other end of an internet connection.

Groundpounder17 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2021, 11:06:35 AM »
Another question: Do you use synthetic oil? I seem to remember hearing tales of synthetic oil leaving white smoke when it burned.

A leak down test will tell you more than a compression test and more than I ever can from the other end of an internet connection.

When I changed the oil I put in amsoil synthetic.  I think the po had Castrol synthetic in before

Groundpounder17 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2021, 11:15:10 AM »

I have never had a 2 gauge leak down kit. I have found a made in the USA leak down kit and a compression kit from GSI.  Would I need both?

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2021, 12:18:21 PM »
I have never had a 2 gauge leak down kit. I have found a made in the USA leak down kit and a compression kit from GSI.  Would I need both?

Here's my latest purchase:...

https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3612-Compression-Tester-Piece/dp/B000EVU89I/ref=pd_di_sccai_1/142-5226433-2262460?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000EVU89I&pd_rd_r=dd9b712e-b547-4df7-82d9-0e55b0d1d819&pd_rd_w=QKOx5&pd_rd_wg=3Y6WX&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=3T3MH40QVFW5JKGXP9V4&psc=1&refRID=3T3MH40QVFW5JKGXP9V4

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-5609-Cylinder-Leakage-Tester/dp/B0030EVL60/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=leakdown+test+kit&qid=1610309998&sr=8-12

There are lots of choices and prices range.

White smoke at start up is typically steam/coolant from cracked head or blown head gasket.  White smoke after normal op can be synthetic oil burning.  Oil burning should be seen during hard acceleration.  Have you pulled the spark plugs?

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Groundpounder17 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2021, 12:45:26 PM »
Here's my latest purchase:...

https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3612-Compression-Tester-Piece/dp/B000EVU89I/ref=pd_di_sccai_1/142-5226433-2262460?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000EVU89I&pd_rd_r=dd9b712e-b547-4df7-82d9-0e55b0d1d819&pd_rd_w=QKOx5&pd_rd_wg=3Y6WX&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=3T3MH40QVFW5JKGXP9V4&psc=1&refRID=3T3MH40QVFW5JKGXP9V4

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-5609-Cylinder-Leakage-Tester/dp/B0030EVL60/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=leakdown+test+kit&qid=1610309998&sr=8-12

There are lots of choices and prices range.

White smoke at start up is typically steam/coolant from cracked head or blown head gasket.  White smoke after normal op can be synthetic oil burning.  Oil burning should be seen during hard acceleration.  Have you pulled the spark plugs?

Gnarls.

I was going to this weekend but it’s too cold.  I might do that today

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2021, 06:53:12 PM »
Your truck is exhibiting many symptoms of coolant leaking into one or more cylinders, whether by a blown head gasket or a cracked head or block. A distant second would be burning synthetic oil.

Oil burning at start up can happen if you park your truck facing uphill and a pool of oil stays under the valve cover and drips past the valve guides and seals into cylinder #4; mine has done this on a few occasions.

My experience with blown headgaskets is rather limited, but the one vehicle I had with a bad head gasket had to crank for about 20 seconds before it could clear the moisture out of the cylinders and fire.

If you have unlimited budget, I would get both the compression tester and leak down tester. If I had only one, my personal preference would be the leak down tester.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2021, 07:06:43 PM »
Release the pressure of the radiator as soon as you can after shutdown (wait until it won't boil over with release of pressure).

This will prevent the cooling system pressure from forcing coolant into the engine as it cools overnight.

See what happens next day.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Groundpounder17 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2021, 10:46:21 PM »
Your truck is exhibiting many symptoms of coolant leaking into one or more cylinders, whether by a blown head gasket or a cracked head or block. A distant second would be burning synthetic oil.

Oil burning at start up can happen if you park your truck facing uphill and a pool of oil stays under the valve cover and drips past the valve guides and seals into cylinder #4; mine has done this on a few occasions.

My experience with blown headgaskets is rather limited, but the one vehicle I had with a bad head gasket had to crank for about 20 seconds before it could clear the moisture out of the cylinders and fire.

If you have unlimited budget, I would get both the compression tester and leak down tester. If I had only one, my personal preference would be the leak down tester.

I’d like to get both.  Do you have a preference on a good American made one?

Groundpounder17 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2021, 10:46:55 PM »
Release the pressure of the radiator as soon as you can after shutdown (wait until it won't boil over with release of pressure).

This will prevent the cooling system pressure from forcing coolant into the engine as it cools overnight.

See what happens next day.

I’ll try this tomorrow

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2021, 11:23:00 PM »
A leak down tester requires compressed air.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2021, 01:57:14 AM »
This looks like a nice compression tester for the money.

https://www.amazon.com/Shankly-Compression-Professional-Compatible-Domestic/dp/B01M0UQXBF/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&keywords=SHANKY+COMPRESSION+TESTER&qid=1610358874&sr=8-25

It looks like it's American made, but I find it difficult to verify where things are actually made.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2021, 02:06:53 AM by Gnarly4X »

Groundpounder17 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2021, 06:53:00 AM »
A leak down tester requires compressed air.

I have a compressor

Groundpounder17 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2021, 01:25:18 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have a blown head gasket and I am afraid I have a cracked head.   So I am thinking that while I am at it is a good time to rebuild or to do an engine swap.  I really want reliability and a little increased hp and tq.   I have been seriously considering a 3rz swap.  Finding a reliable donor vehicle has proved difficult, but I have only been looking for a few weeks.  What is most the consensus here? Rebuild or 3rz swap?  I figure that cost wise it won't be much difference.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2021, 11:07:18 PM »
What are your plans for it, restore and drive as a nice old daily, or build it for trail use and daily driving? 
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Groundpounder17 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2021, 11:08:00 PM »
What are your plans for it, restore and drive as a nice old daily, or build it for trail use and daily driving?

Trail use and daily driving.  I’ve got a line on an R151f transmission and transfer case.  I would like to put my case behind the case on the R151f. I also have acquired a power steering gear box and other items for a p/s upgrade.  I plan to go high steer.  My plan is to put some 4.88s in it with either air lockers or elockers.  I’ve got 31s on it now but woukd like to run 33-34” tires

Groundpounder17 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2021, 07:44:39 AM »
Anyone?

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,500
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2021, 08:09:35 AM »
Here's the dipstick. Read towards the bottom
https://209yota1.com/products/dipstick-oem-22r-re-rte-85-95/
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Groundpounder17 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2021, 10:21:10 AM »
Here's the dipstick. Read towards the bottom
https://209yota1.com/products/dipstick-oem-22r-re-rte-85-95/

Thanks. I had actually found this after a conversation with Jim at 22reperformance.  I’m going to hold off until I figure out if I am going to rebuild or do a 3rz swap.  Can anyone tell me a downside to doing the swap as opposed to the rebuild?  If I rebuild I will likely need a newer block

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2021, 11:43:16 AM »
  Can anyone tell me a downside to doing the swap as opposed to the rebuild?  If I rebuild I will likely need a newer block

Hey G...

I have not done a 3RZ swap, so I can only comment on my years of being an automotive enthusiast.

The Pros and Cons should be more or less obvious.

Rebuilding an engine means you can blueprint it and if done right, should go 200,000+ miles.  It can be built the way you want it.

Swaps can be risky if you are swapping a used “donor” engine.

Swaps are almost always more time consuming and out-of-pocket than predicted.

Although the 3RZ is a awesome engine at 150HP and 177 lb-ft of torque with a reliability factor that is legendary, a 22RE stroker can be a beautiful rebuild at 130HP and 160 lb-ft of torqued.

Keeping the vehicle “stock-like” is always a plus.

Gnarls – that’s just my opinion – it may be worthless.

Groundpounder17 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2021, 12:24:43 PM »
Hey G...

I have not done a 3RZ swap, so I can only comment on my years of being an automotive enthusiast.

The Pros and Cons should be more or less obvious.

Rebuilding an engine means you can blueprint it and if done right, should go 200,000+ miles.  It can be built the way you want it.

Swaps can be risky if you are swapping a used “donor” engine.

Swaps are almost always more time consuming and out-of-pocket than predicted.

Although the 3RZ is a awesome engine at 150HP and 177 lb-ft of torque with a reliability factor that is legendary, a 22RE stroker can be a beautiful rebuild at 130HP and 160 lb-ft of torqued.

Keeping the vehicle “stock-like” is always a plus.

Gnarls – that’s just my opinion – it may be worthless.

You would go stroker?  If I have an engine built I’ll get Jim to build it for me.

What’s your thoughts on pairing it with the R151f?

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2021, 12:50:43 PM »
You would go stroker?  If I have an engine built I’ll get Jim to build it for me.

What’s your thoughts on pairing it with the R151f?

It can't hurt, when was the last time you heard somebody say "Oh crap, I busted my tranny!" ??

Toyota trannies are pretty much bullet proof for the average daily driver and week-end wheelers.

I've always wanted a 22 stroker, but I will most likely ask Jim to build my next engine for my 1986 XtraCab.

Gnarls.

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2021, 08:59:03 PM »
Trail use and daily driving.  I’ve got a line on an R151f transmission and transfer case.  I would like to put my case behind the case on the R151f. I also have acquired a power steering gear box and other items for a p/s upgrade.  I plan to go high steer.  My plan is to put some 4.88s in it with either air lockers or elockers.  I’ve got 31s on it now but woukd like to run 33-34” tires

Thanks. I had actually found this after a conversation with Jim at 22reperformance.  I’m going to hold off until I figure out if I am going to rebuild or do a 3rz swap.  Can anyone tell me a downside to doing the swap as opposed to the rebuild?  If I rebuild I will likely need a newer block
Here are my thoughts on this.

If you're already considering 34s, go 35s and 5.29s.

I think the down side to a 3rz is finding one. Having driven a 3rz in a taco, power wise, the 22re isnt even comparable to a 3rz. I dont think there is anything you could do to a 22re to compete with a 3rz power wise. If you are wheeling in the mountains (steep hills) the efi alone is worth it. That said, the 22r/re is a legend, and a great motor.  Neither a rebuild or a swap are with out risk. Things outside your control can go south with both.

If you do a swap make sure to document the vin # from the doner and if wiring isnt your thing buy a harnes from ORS or toyonly swaps. Then if you ever have issues you are working with a known system.

ETA: My 22re swapped 1980 will get a 3rz... if I can ever find one.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2021, 09:06:50 PM by toyodaaddict »
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #27 on: Feb 15, 2021, 04:17:30 AM »
Just another perspective on “power”.

I have driven my 3 early Toy pickups close to 500,000 all together.

My 1st 86 was automatic longbed, 22RE 116 HP.  My 85 short bed was a 22R 5-speed 96HP, and my current 1986 Xtracab is a 22RE 5-speed.  Therew were many times I would have loved to another 50 or 60 HP -- in the Glamis sand dunes and in the Cinders in Northern AZ. When on an overnighter or trip to Mexico, loaded down with camping gear, food, water, and fuel, crossing the big sand dunes in Sonora Mexico was hard.  With a bed full of gear, climbing long steep grades on the freeway meant getting in 3rd gear sometimes and 4,000 RPM, and slowing down 45 MPH, being passed by a semi sucked.

BUT in all my times driving my trucks as daily driver, and rockcrawling every other weekend, the little engines did just fine.  My 22R got 20 MPH all day long.  My 1st 86 22RE got 25 MPH with a SnugTop on it.

It’s a little pickup and was designed and built to go 200K or 300K miles.  And it is arguably practically indestructible.  I have wheeled with all kinds of 4x4s, and the number of times a Toyota broke on a trail was 1/100th of the times a Jeep, Bronco, Blazer, Hummer, or some other vehicle would break.

Of course, I’d give my left testicle to have a little 1UR-FSE or GM L99 in it.

If I ever do a conversion, it ain't going to be for a 30 HP!

Gnarls.

Groundpounder17 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2021, 09:16:39 AM »
Here are my thoughts on this.

If you're already considering 34s, go 35s and 5.29s.

I think the down side to a 3rz is finding one. Having driven a 3rz in a taco, power wise, the 22re isnt even comparable to a 3rz. I dont think there is anything you could do to a 22re to compete with a 3rz power wise. If you are wheeling in the mountains (steep hills) the efi alone is worth it. That said, the 22r/re is a legend, and a great motor.  Neither a rebuild or a swap are with out risk. Things outside your control can go south with both.

If you do a swap make sure to document the vin # from the doner and if wiring isnt your thing buy a harnes from ORS or toyonly swaps. Then if you ever have issues you are working with a known system.

ETA: My 22re swapped 1980 will get a 3rz... if I can ever find one.

Right you are!  I can’t find one

Groundpounder17 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2021, 09:19:48 AM »
Just another perspective on “power”.

I have driven my 3 early Toy pickups close to 500,000 all together.

My 1st 86 was automatic longbed, 22RE 116 HP.  My 85 short bed was a 22R 5-speed 96HP, and my current 1986 Xtracab is a 22RE 5-speed.  Therew were many times I would have loved to another 50 or 60 HP -- in the Glamis sand dunes and in the Cinders in Northern AZ. When on an overnighter or trip to Mexico, loaded down with camping gear, food, water, and fuel, crossing the big sand dunes in Sonora Mexico was hard.  With a bed full of gear, climbing long steep grades on the freeway meant getting in 3rd gear sometimes and 4,000 RPM, and slowing down 45 MPH, being passed by a semi sucked.

BUT in all my times driving my trucks as daily driver, and rockcrawling every other weekend, the little engines did just fine.  My 22R got 20 MPH all day long.  My 1st 86 22RE got 25 MPH with a SnugTop on it.

It’s a little pickup and was designed and built to go 200K or 300K miles.  And it is arguably practically indestructible.  I have wheeled with all kinds of 4x4s, and the number of times a Toyota broke on a trail was 1/100th of the times a Jeep, Bronco, Blazer, Hummer, or some other vehicle would break.

Of course, I’d give my left testicle to have a little 1UR-FSE or GM L99 in it.

If I ever do a conversion, it ain't going to be for a 30 HP!

Gnarls.

I’m not looking for a huge gain in power.   I’m starting to think that a rebuilt engine is in my future.  I will need a newer block though.  I know that DOA actually has new blocks.  I wonder if it’s worth buying one of those to have Jim build me an engine.