Author Topic: 22R cylinder head  (Read 892 times)

wireguy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
22R cylinder head
« on: Nov 17, 2020, 05:37:20 PM »
I need a new head for my 22R. Not a hot rodder, just looking for a quality complete head (or without cam) for a daily driver. Not afraid to spend some money to get a well built head that is going to last. That's my biggest issue, I want it to last. A year or so ago I bought one of those Evergreen heads from Amazon. The cam self destructed in about a week so I set that head aside. I took another look at it today and the valve springs look like they are not robust. Rather buy another complete head. I wore one out that came from that place in Oregon but I can't find them.
There are a lot of heads out there all proclaiming quality but none of them offer any information about where they came from, what the parts are made of etc. etc.
Hoping some of you know via experience.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,238
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: 22R cylinder head
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2020, 06:52:13 PM »
Hey wireguy,

You can call Jim or Jerry at 22RE Performance.  Jim is an early Toyota engine guru!!

I bought my last head at Phoenix Cylinder Head Service.  John knows more about cylinder heads than anyone I know. 

He and his partner have over 75 years of combined knowledge and his shop is busy selling, rebuilding heads for all the dealerships in the Phoenix area.

John Willis - 623.915.2666

I believe you will want to know what year your 22R block is?

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

wireguy [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2020, 05:56:00 AM »
Phoenix would be good. I'm 1 1/2 hours south of there so I will give them a call. Thank you.
 I don't know precisely what year the used block I installed is but it's not the early block with the different deck height. The head I have on there now is the one I bought from that place in Oregon that seems to be deceased. I had it gone through by a local "best shop in the area" machine shop. The engine makes zero power at idle on cylinder number 3. I've been turning wrenches for a long time and I spent hours trying to discover why. Bright long blue spark from the MSD ignition. Swapped plugs and wires around. Did every vacuum leak test known to man looking for that possibility. Even built a smoker and that intake system is tight. Only thing I can think of is when they went through the head they didn't complete some part of the work on 3. Like unfinished seat cutting or uncompleted valve guide work and one or both of the valves are wobbling around at idle but tend to self center at speed. But in any case there is a distinct miss and I can pull the wire off #3 and the rpm's don't change. Compression is a bit low but not terrible. Leak down test indicates the cylinder is not sealing. This is far from the only thing this shop screwed up so I won't take it back to them.
If anyone knows of a reliable automotive machine or cylinder head shop in Tucson I would appreciate you telling me about that.
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2020, 06:28:18 AM by wireguy »

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,238
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2020, 06:05:44 AM »
Phoenix would be good. I'm 1 1/2 hours south of there so I will give them a call. Thank you.

You're welcome!  :beerchug:

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein