Author Topic: Rear transfer case shifter stuck  (Read 65 times)

Grumpyoldman

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Rear transfer case shifter stuck
« on: Sep 14, 2020, 11:14:18 AM »
Hi guys first post. I have a 1985 SR5 pickup with dual transfer cases. The last few weeks Iíve had an issue with my rear transfer case getting stuck like locked between N and 4H. When this happens my transmission shifter will still operate and run trough the gears as normal and my front transfer case will still move front to back between low and high but the rear transfer case being stuck wonít allow me to drive. Itís basically in neutral. I then unbolt the shift rod on the rear case and can manually shift the transfer case with a screwdriver no issues. I bolt the shift rod back up and everything works normal for a few days until the whole thing starts over. Any ideas? Also Iíd really like to get a new shift knob for my front transfer case that is engraved with low high and ideas where to find one? Thanks! Facebook has not helped me at all people seem to not even have a clue when I mention dual transfercases.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1173
  • Male Posts: 4,922
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Rear transfer case shifter stuck
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2020, 12:18:04 PM »
Marlin Crawler should sell shifter knobs if you call them.  I donít know if they are available individually on the website.

I canít really be of any use with the shifting issue. Have you tried to swap the front and rear shifters to see if itís the shifter or t-case?  I think the shifters are likely to swap if you donít have a twin stick on the rear case.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Grumpyoldman [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Rear transfer case shifter stuck
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2020, 12:55:49 PM »
Thanks for the info on the shift knobs. As far as the shifter it is two individual sticks not a twin stick but I might try switching the shifters between transfercases.