Author Topic: Rear transfer case shifter stuck  (Read 2034 times)

Grumpyoldman

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Rear transfer case shifter stuck
« on: Sep 14, 2020, 11:14:18 AM »
Hi guys first post. I have a 1985 SR5 pickup with dual transfer cases. The last few weeks I’ve had an issue with my rear transfer case getting stuck like locked between N and 4H. When this happens my transmission shifter will still operate and run trough the gears as normal and my front transfer case will still move front to back between low and high but the rear transfer case being stuck won’t allow me to drive. It’s basically in neutral. I then unbolt the shift rod on the rear case and can manually shift the transfer case with a screwdriver no issues. I bolt the shift rod back up and everything works normal for a few days until the whole thing starts over. Any ideas? Also I’d really like to get a new shift knob for my front transfer case that is engraved with low high and ideas where to find one? Thanks! Facebook has not helped me at all people seem to not even have a clue when I mention dual transfercases.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Rear transfer case shifter stuck
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2020, 12:18:04 PM »
Marlin Crawler should sell shifter knobs if you call them.  I don’t know if they are available individually on the website.

I can’t really be of any use with the shifting issue. Have you tried to swap the front and rear shifters to see if it’s the shifter or t-case?  I think the shifters are likely to swap if you don’t have a twin stick on the rear case.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Grumpyoldman [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2020, 12:55:49 PM »
Thanks for the info on the shift knobs. As far as the shifter it is two individual sticks not a twin stick but I might try switching the shifters between transfercases.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2020, 05:36:07 PM »
Worn shifter seat maybe the issue, not a Toyota but I have had that issue in a Samurai and had to pull the shifter at times and finish shifting with a screwdriver.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2020, 07:48:41 PM »
when are you having it happen (out wheeling, driving to the store, etc)? can you recreate it on demand? I'd like to know a little more about when it happens to try to ID the cause.

did you build the duals or buy the truck built? I'm not too sure what you mean by 'I then unbolt the shift rod on the rear case and can manually shift the transfer case'. Do you mean you remove the shifter base? the only shift rods are internal and held in place with roll pins.

mahaffay

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2020, 11:01:46 PM »
Hello !!!   first post here....i have the exact same issue!!!! with my 85 Toyota.....gets stuck in low and neutral .....we managed to use a screw driver to get it back out......please tell me ...what was your solution to fix this ??    Can you please share how you fixed this problem?

Grumpyoldman [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2021, 10:34:02 AM »
Hello !!!   first post here....i have the exact same issue!!!! with my 85 Toyota.....gets stuck in low and neutral .....we managed to use a screw driver to get it back out......please tell me ...what was your solution to fix this ??    Can you please share how you fixed this problem?
I forgot I had a post on this already. I am unable to recreate this issue it just happens sometimes out of the blue after seeming to work flawlessly for a period of time. I swapped shifters between the front and rear transfercases no help. If I pull the shifter off the rear transfer case and look down into the transfercase I’m able to align the forks up with each other and put it back together so that it works again without issue for awhile but it always seems to get stuck again. I have yet to find a solution. Thanks

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2021, 06:44:49 PM »
Are you using a standard shifter or a twin stick?  If you’re using a standard shifter is there any chance the pin was removed that gets removed for twin sticks?  I don’t know what the result would be but it seems that at a minimum things would be able to misalign.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Grumpyoldman [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2021, 07:06:26 AM »
Are you using a standard shifter or a twin stick?  If you’re using a standard shifter is there any chance the pin was removed that gets removed for twin sticks?  I don’t know what the result would be but it seems that at a minimum things would be able to misalign.
I’m using the standard shifter. I’m not sure what pin gets removed for a twin stick if you can point me in the direction on how to check I will definitely take a look to see. Thanks.

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 09, 2021, 05:55:04 PM »
To check to see if the tic-tac type pin that keeps the shjfter rails from engaging at the same time, pull the shifter base like you did to unlock the transfer case then try to shift both rails into a gear at the same time or at least with one in gear and shift the other in as well.  If they both go into a gear the you have to disassemble the trenfer case and get a pin to put in there.  You can get to the 2 outside balls via the allen head sockets on either side of the case, but the center pin that prevents both rails from moving at the same time is only accessable with at least one of the rails out.  Good luck from another '85 X-tra Cab.  :driving:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 10, 2021, 09:43:31 PM »
I’m using the standard shifter. I’m not sure what pin gets removed for a twin stick if you can point me in the direction on how to check I will definitely take a look to see. Thanks.

The only way I’d know to check would be to install twin sticks and see what if it worked correctly.