Author Topic: cough cough, too much smoke  (Read 3151 times)

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 534
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
cough cough, too much smoke
« on: Sep 07, 2020, 01:41:07 PM »
Cali needs to fall into the ocean! Put these fires out. This latest is quite close to home, the Creek fire. Seems to have doubled it's size overnight.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

hytenor

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
Re: cough cough, too much smoke
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2020, 02:07:00 PM »
I hope no one is left on the Shaver area trails by now.  If you do know of anyone in the Red Lk area they are trapped there with no way out at the moment.  Fire is past Bald Mt and China Peak.  If anyone on Dusy they need to head south to Cortright and then make their way to Pineflat res as the area around Shaver is fully engulfed...no way to go on hwy 168.  the only way out of the general area in via Pine flat.  If you know of anyone in the Red Lks area they will need to be air evacuated...if possible.   130 flown out of Edison Lake this morning starting 3am while good air up there.  small crew stayed to help hikers still heading to them.  This is the fire the locals have feared for 40yrs :(

camhays556

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 498
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2020, 02:57:37 PM »
We barley got out before the fire got to the 168. We were on Dusy camped at Thompson lake. We have 3 buddies still stuck out there and have not heard from them since Saturday. Hoping they have enough fuel to get back to courtright

hytenor

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2020, 09:41:27 AM »
there is a spot fire near Cortright, haven't looked to see how close it is to the trail.  Do they have any way to communicate with you?  You need to report this to the county sheriff up there so they can add these guys to the list.  If they can turn around and head to Kaiser pass they can then go to Edison Lake and be safe.

hytenor

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2020, 09:42:26 AM »
Edison is still the staging area for that section of the Sierra since they have a helopad.  over 150 were airlifted yesterday.  Edison crew still there to help others as they arrive.

hytenor

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2020, 09:50:22 AM »
Ok, the fire near Cortright is away from the trail for now.  So, if there they can get out via Ross Crossing road all the way to Pine Flat Res.  They cannot get out through Shaver.  If the Cortright fire blocks them their only option is to head to Kaiser Pass and Edison Lk.  Rigs can be parked on the lake bed and be ok.  They can be flown out if necessary.

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.29918,-119.07806&z=11&b=mbt&a=c%2Csma%2Cmodis_mp%2Cwxd_wspd-01

https://www.sfchronicle.com/projects/california-fire-map/?fbclid=IwAR1A6CUc4jPXGi0YHAjjjJcqVlmZnmlLBUywyeLu1w3g6E91fX7kUrgs5z0
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2020, 10:10:54 AM by hytenor »

hytenor

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2020, 10:18:22 AM »
Fire is getting closer to the Red Mt trails.  That group of trails is completely cut off.  If anyone knows of wheelers up there you need to contact the Co Sheriff NOW!  They will need air evac.  Same goes for Brewer Lk.  The north side of Bald Mt trail was overrun yesterday and fire still growing there.

Get the word out!!

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2020, 02:12:19 PM »
Washington is on fire as well. the Evan's Canyon fire was right in our backyard and now their are a couple others. Last I heard their wa around 300,000 acres burnt throughout Washington.

hytenor

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2020, 02:20:18 PM »
Washington is on fire as well. the Evan's Canyon fire was right in our backyard and now their are a couple others. Last I heard their wa around 300,000 acres burnt throughout Washington.

Saw that on the news.  Looks like it is mostly contained.  My dad used to live in Ellensburg so pretty close.

hytenor

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 09, 2020, 05:47:26 PM »
Spot fire near Courtright has diminished in size so good news for any wheelers trying to go south end of trail.  North end of trail is still clear to Kaiser...just turn right and head to Edison Lk.  you cannot go down to Huntington!

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2020, 05:51:12 PM »

A friend of mine nearly lost his house (did lose a SUV Jeep and some out buildings) and three neighbors lost their houses in Eastern WA.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

sirdeuce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2020, 02:16:05 PM »
A group of hikers got cut off, now they're making their way to 395.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

camhays556

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 498
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2020, 03:24:32 PM »
Our buddies backtracked and made it out the courtright side so they are ok

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #13 on: Sep 10, 2020, 05:14:36 PM »
Saw that on the news.  Looks like it is mostly contained.  My dad used to live in Ellensburg so pretty close.

yeah it has burned almost to Ellensburg at this point.
here is a video I shot last Friday:
https://i.imgur.com/ccphv6J.mp4

It was crazy looking at night too:

Glad they fought it hard Friday and Saturday so when the wind hit Monday we were safe. if they didn't we would have been in a lot more danger.

hytenor

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 11, 2020, 12:21:27 AM »
Our buddies backtracked and made it out the courtright side so they are ok

awesome!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 12, 2020, 02:44:44 PM »
I just had to evacuate here on the Oregon Coast.  These photos are from the fire near my house.  Oregon is bad too!  The whole west coast is on fire.  They have caught alot of individuals setting fires.   

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

hytenor

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 12, 2020, 06:45:16 PM »
wow, yea, just read about the 4 arrested...so far...a lot more have been seen that haven't been caught yet.  Stay safe!

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 13, 2020, 10:33:08 AM »
Should be a public hanging for those who purposely start fires, even for those who do it out of stupidity, like the idiot here a few weeks ago who had a burn pile going on a 105* day, then clamed he didn't know that the burn ban was in effect.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,222
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #18 on: Sep 13, 2020, 03:52:54 PM »
Should be a public hanging for those who purposely start fires, even for those who do it out of stupidity, like the idiot here a few weeks ago who had a burn pile going on a 105* day, then clamed he didn't know that the burn ban was in effect.

I agree.  The punishment for causing this degree of devastation, loss of life (human and animal), and Earth destruction should be so severe that it would be a huge deterrent.

Public hangings would be very effective, however that punishment would be barbaric for any civilized society. :yikes:

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2020, 05:52:34 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #19 on: Sep 13, 2020, 03:57:12 PM »
Could these horrific fires have been avoided, prevented, or lessened with scientific ecological application of known actions to the forests, ground, terrain, etc.??

If so, why were the actions NOT taken?  Who is responsible for NOT doing what could have been done?

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

sirdeuce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 13, 2020, 05:39:15 PM »
Could these horrific fires have been avoided, prevented, or lessened with scientific ecological application of known actions to the forests, ground, terrain, etc.??

If so, why were the actions NOT taken?  Who is responsible for NOT doing what could have been done?

Gnarls.

The tree huggers.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 30, 2020, 04:15:19 PM »
I agree.  The punishment for causing this degree of devastation, loss of life (human and animal), and Earth destruction should be so severe that it would be a huge deterrent.

Public hangings would be very effective, however that punishment would be barbaric for any civilized society. :yikes:

Gnarls.

"Civilized Society" is just a myth, humans are no more civilized today than our cave dwelling counterparts 200k yrs ago were, the only real difference between them and us, is our level of technology.  We have been witnessing just how uncivilized modern humans are all summer long.

Gnarls.

The extent of the fires is caused by human stupidity, from land owners to loggers, tree huggers to government, and compounded by 100yrs of fighting forest fires.  When we started fighting fires 100+yrs ago, we didn't understand the benefit they were to the ecosystem, or how small fires actually prevent the infernos we have today, and unfortunately since learning the value that fires serve, have done nothing to replace them.  Since we can't allow them to burn, as doing so threatens where we live, work and play, we have to take up the job small fires once served, something 50% or more of land owners, forest industry, and government refused to do.

Since wildland/forest fires happen by acts of nature as well as acts of man, the only thing we can do is reduce their potential intensity/impact once started, and that starts with the land owner.  I spend a few 100 hours from spring thru fall mowing, weed eating, raking/shoveling tree litter(average about 20 cubic yrds a year), and several hundred dollars in additional electricity in irrigating fields to reduce as much of the fire danger to my property as possible, as do most of my immediate neighbors, unfortunately, all it takes is for a fire to get started on unmaintained land, which the majority is, and all my work is for not if fire gets out of hand.  As much as I hate "There ought to be a law" response to social issues, when it comes to having your land prepared for fire season, there should be.  A simple law, requiring property owners to have their property cleared of ladder fuels and tall grass for 300' from their property lines, would go a long way to reducing the impact of a fire, instead we have a 100' recommendation of clearance around your home, which is pointless with a wind driven fire, as the heat generated by fire can set ablaze a home surrounded by green grass.   
However the preparedness doesn't end with homeowners, industry and the government needs to do their part, logging companies should be required to remove diseased trees and drop the dead trees that are of no value to them, in any area they are harvesting before they start their commercial harvest, as well as required to process the slash where it is, and not pile it up to burn at a later date, which from what I have seen is not always done.  Would also require power companies to have to replace their lines at set intervals, not just as the line fails, PG&E lines started 3 fires so far this season about a mile(crow mile) from me, and falling branches nor human error were the cause, just line failure, or bury them, just as is done in cities and suburbs.  This crap about turning off power to avoid their failing equipment from starting fires has gone on long enough, time to put in the money that should have gone into updating their systems, rather than lining the pockets of investors and employees.

As with residential property, State and Fed lands should be maintained the same way, either with control burns when conditions allow, or by humans when conditions don't.  We currently pay federal and state firefighters to sit idle during the off season, time which would be better spent with them in the field, limbing/falling dead trees, clearing/chipping brush, and cutting grass land in the spring/summer, reducing the amount of fuel.

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #22 on: Oct 01, 2020, 07:18:06 AM »
Snowtoy,

I see your points and they seem logical and more or less common sense.

I'm sure most rational USA citizens today would say we are way more “civilized” than in our history.  The violent chaos is being done by a very small group of psychopathic moronic haters of everything.

The blame for such horrific fires can be spread around, but the private landowners may not have many options for what can be done on their property. 

If there are authorities outside of the private sector, then the voting public needs to do some research and find out who they are voting for.  If they are not voting then they can just complain and suffer the consequences.

Trump has done more to stop this gawd-awful waste of our tax-payers money than any President in history!

Instead of blowing $4 Trillion on dumb wars and rebuilding some other country that hates America, the money could be spent on USA forest/land management that would help to prevent our lesson the horrible devastation.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2020, 06:57:13 PM by Gnarly4X »

hytenor

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 01, 2020, 01:44:01 PM »
Snowtoy,

I see your points and they seem logical and more or less common sense.

I sure most rational USA citizens today would say we are way more “civilized” than in our history.  The violent chaos is being done by a very small group of psychopathic moronic haters of everything.

The blame for such horrific fires can be spread around, but the private landowners may not have many options for what can be done on their property. 

If there are authorities outside of the private sector, then the voting public needs to do some research and find out who they are voting for.  If they are not voting then they can just complain and suffer the consequences.

Trump has done more to stop this gawd-awful waste of our tax-payers money than any President in history!

Instead of blowing $4 Trillion on dumb wars and rebuilding some other country that hates America, the money could be spent on USA forest/land management that would help to prevent our lesson the horrible devastation.

Gnarls.

Only those who know nothing of US history would think that, sorry.   or, know only what Howard Zinn, a Communist, has taught them through use of his textbook for the last 30yrs. 

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #24 on: Oct 01, 2020, 07:22:03 PM »
Snowtoy said... "Civilized Society" is just a myth, humans are no more civilized today than our cave dwelling counterparts 200k yrs ago were, the only real difference between them and us, is our level of technology.  We have been witnessing just how uncivilized modern humans are all summer long.

Please define civilized and society :inthedark:  And which "humans" are you referring to? :dunno:

Gnarls.

Russ86

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 13
  • Member since Oct '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 05, 2020, 09:59:58 PM »
Really bummed me out that nobody stopped and said anything to us as we were sitting up on the logging trail camping.  Wasn't till I went up for service in the afternoon that I realized why all the rigs were heading out.  :think:

trigrate

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 21, 2020, 05:04:38 AM »
I think the wildfire in Cali has been already contained.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #27 on: Oct 21, 2020, 05:29:27 AM »

You must be watching one of those fake news channels!

https://news.yahoo.com/california-wildfires-many-fires-near-222555525.html

Gnarls.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Oct 21, 2020, 12:40:18 PM »

There are currently 8 fires burning in Ca in size from 125k acres to over 1 million acres, that have not been contained, let alone extinguished .  The one million acres complex fire is just 90% contained, while the next largest at 350k is just 60% contained, the rest are from 70-95% containment.

sirdeuce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 23, 2020, 11:50:47 AM »
Contained? Nope! Still get choked out every morning at work.