Author Topic: Crossbow  (Read 1137 times)

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
Crossbow
« on: Jul 31, 2020, 03:39:24 PM »
Anyone here hunt with one?  I was looking at them on Cabela's  website.
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16509
  • Male Posts: 1,017
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Crossbow
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2020, 05:07:28 PM »
bro in law has one that he picked up at a pawn shop but no idea on the specs.  his family has a farm in Wisconsin and took a few deer with it.

i was looking at the barnett jackal. its entry level and reviews are good. but in az to hunt with a crossbow you need to be a disabled hunter unless they changed the law. i think if you qualify you can use a crossbow fer archery hunts.

RUGER :usa: :beer: :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2020, 06:07:25 PM »
I want a semi-auto crossbow.......

:yupyup:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2020, 07:58:56 PM »
A guy invented a self loading one, called the RX Adder, just have to figure out how to adapt a gear/crank mechanism that fires and redraws the bow with each turn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2WhUu15B5E

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2020, 08:22:11 PM »
Do crossbow bolts wobble/wallow because there's only 2 fins rather than 3?

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Hickory Nut

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 359
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2020, 08:07:50 AM »
I have been bowhunting for 30 years and purchased an Excalibur Crossbow several years ago. Crossbows offer shooters that don't have time to practice, have health issues, or young hunters an easy way to get into the field with precision accuracy. They are a bit cumbersome in the blind or treestand for me. It now sits in its case in my closet and I switched back to a compound bow. It will however shootout to 60-70 yards with no problem. There are several manufacturers on the market that claim 1" groups at 100 yards. I just prefer the compound bow since it's easier to use in the field for me.

As for the bolts for most use 3 vanes in a helical configuration that helps stabilize the bolt with spin. The only one I've seen that uses (2) vanes is the pistol type that is not used for hunting. The two guys I hunt with use crossbows and have killed several deer with them over the years. They are powerful and all deer that have been shot you get complete pass through the animal. This usually means the blood trail is short and easy to follow.

If you do buy one make sure there are parts available and someone in your area can work on them. These things have at least 150-250# of stored energy. If they come apart bad things happen quick so making sure the strings are waxed and in good working order. Oh yea make sure to keep all your fingers on the grip while shooting it. These things would do major damage to your fingers if they get hit by the string.

Lwilliams

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Sep '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2020, 08:26:33 AM »
If you know someone who has one try and borrow it to shoot and possibly hunt with.  I bought a tenpoint carbon phantom rcx and tried to hunt with it, but it was not for me.  Very cumbersome.  I went back to a compound and traded my crossbow to a buddy who has shoulder issues and can no longer hunt with a bow.