Author Topic: slip yoke ????  (Read 6626 times)

idahank

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 219
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
slip yoke ????
« on: Jul 10, 2020, 12:29:47 PM »
Does any one out there know if the Rear drive shaft slip yoke from 84-95 Toyota 4x4 Pickup, 4Runner will fit on the drive shaft of a 79-83 Toyota 4x4 Pickup rear drive shaft?
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2020, 12:56:21 PM by idahank »
1980 body,1983 running gear with 4.11 Detroit Truetracs front and rear, New Marlin Transmission & T-Case with 4.7 gears, 30x9.5 R15 Cooper Discoverer STT LT, custom front & rear bumpers.

RUGER

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16574
  • Male Posts: 1,017
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: slip yoke ????
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2020, 12:42:41 PM »
i prefer a double cardan on the t-case flange.  the bolt holes on the 79-83 flange are a smaller diameter than 84 and up. the spline count on the slip joint should be the same.

RUGER :usa: :beer: :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

idahank [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2020, 03:51:35 PM »
 My problem is I just got a new M/C, T/Case and when I go to bolt the rear drive shaft in the upper left and lower right bolts are in the upper right and lower left are about half a hole off or when the upper right and lower left bolts are in the upper left and lower right are off by half a hole. That is why I was wondering if the slip yoke from a 84-94 drive shaft will fit my 80 drive shaft. A good and easy fix if it works.
1980 body,1983 running gear with 4.11 Detroit Truetracs front and rear, New Marlin Transmission & T-Case with 4.7 gears, 30x9.5 R15 Cooper Discoverer STT LT, custom front & rear bumpers.

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26852
  • Male Posts: 3,506
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2020, 05:19:10 PM »
My problem is I just got a new M/C, T/Case and when I go to bolt the rear drive shaft in the upper left and lower right bolts are in the upper right and lower left are about half a hole off or when the upper right and lower left bolts are in the upper left and lower right are off by half a hole. That is why I was wondering if the slip yoke from a 84-94 drive shaft will fit my 80 drive shaft. A good and easy fix if it works.

What flange are you using..marlin makes a triple flange.. should bolt to most driveshafts..
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2020, 05:21:32 PM »
My bad.. its a 4 pattern..
https://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/parts-upgrade/misc-hardware/four-pattern-30-spline-flange
I may have a couple lying around if you need one

idahank [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2020, 11:55:01 PM »
My bad.. its a 4 pattern..
https://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/parts-upgrade/misc-hardware/four-pattern-30-spline-flange

I believe that is the flange that the T/Case has on it and it does not line up.  That is why I am looking to find out if the 84-95 Toyota 4x4 Pickup, 4Runner slip yoke will fit my drive shaft so it is a bit of an upgrade from the 8mm bolts to the 10mm bolt.
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2020, 12:20:23 AM by idahank »

liveoak

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2020, 06:42:19 PM »
as ruger says, it's considered a slip joint, a slip yoke is something different(slides into the t-case or trans) , in most cases you can pull off the flange, and drill it yourself with the pattern needed offset of the original pattern of course. mixing driveshaft pieces will put you out of balance so you would need to get the driveshaft balanced afterwards
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2020, 10:25:58 PM by liveoak »

liveoak

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2020, 06:51:47 PM »
I switched to a non CV front shaft recently and had to redrill my front transfer case flange. It wasn't too difficult as the driveshaft centers itself in the flange.

or just take up Dave on his offer
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2020, 10:28:12 PM by liveoak »

RUGER

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16574
  • Male Posts: 1,017
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2020, 02:45:56 AM »
also if you pull the slip yoke apart remember to put it back together at that exact spline, keep it 'in phase' since the drive shaft is balanced. a paint pen or piece of ducktape marking both sides of the slip yoke could save you hassle later on. if you just slap it back together any ole way you might experience a vibration.

RUGER :usa: :beer: :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,225
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2020, 05:08:35 AM »
I switched to a non CV front shaft recently and had to redrill my front transfer case flange. It wasn't too difficult as the driveshaft centers itself in the flange. or just take up Dave on his offer

Why did you switch?

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

liveoak

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 16, 2020, 11:59:45 AM »
Why did you switch?

Gnarls.

When you lift these trucks, it changes the factory driveshaft angles and becomes almost necessary to change to a CV rear driveshaft and aim the rear axle pinion to the transfer case for proper driveshaft operation.
 When you have a lifted straight front axle and do not switch to a high pinion or do a cut and turn on the knuckles, the pinion angle is no longer appropriate for a CV shaft unless you want driveshaft vibration and/or negative caster and sloppy steering. It is different for everyone depending on front hangers and shackle length, for me, a non-CV front/CV rear shaft was the solution. Basically opposite of the stock setup.
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2020, 01:38:37 PM by liveoak »

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2020, 12:08:01 PM »
I got rid of mine when I went high pinion.. :usa:

cbeers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4347
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 16, 2020, 02:29:37 PM »
same here HP/non cv
I will say the long travel ag spline setup doesn't like to go above about 45-50 though.
which is probably fine.

you guys have similar results?

The DL guy first suggested Trail Gear but I said no.   Then he says probably a good call as he had seen some quality issues but since a lot of previous customers had gone with TG he offered it up.

CB

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,225
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Jul 16, 2020, 06:48:18 PM »
When you lift these trucks, it changes the factory driveshaft angles

OK... very informative description!!  I understand.  On my 85 shortbed, I only lifted it about 4" and didn't have any issues with the slip joint or any vibrations, running 33s. :crossed:

But... You guys are heavy-duty-rooty-tooty rockcrawling terrain terrorists!!  :willynilly:

Gnarls. :gap:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

liveoak

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 17, 2020, 07:28:34 AM »
same here HP/non cv
I will say the long travel ag spline setup doesn't like to go above about 45-50 though.
which is probably fine.

you guys have similar results?

The DL guy first suggested Trail Gear but I said no.   Then he says probably a good call as he had seen some quality issues but since a lot of previous customers had gone with TG he offered it up.

CB

I went with the 8 inch Japanese factory style piece. it's more of a mid travel as opposed to long travel. I haven't had a chance to see if I have any vibes in 4-hi but I don't expect to.
https://www.yotamasters.com/shop/driveshaft/8-driveshaft-long-spline-kit-oem-style/

cbeers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 17, 2020, 01:16:35 PM »
me likey!

I think I'll have him make my spare with that and swap out my existing for this.
I was breaking in my new front diff which is why I was driving at higher speeds ;)

sorry for the threadjack

CB

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 17, 2020, 04:28:57 PM »
I went with the 8 inch Japanese factory style piece. it's more of a mid travel as opposed to long travel. I haven't had a chance to see if I have any vibes in 4-hi but I don't expect to.
https://www.yotamasters.com/shop/driveshaft/8-driveshaft-long-spline-kit-oem-style/
me likey!

I think I'll have him make my spare with that and swap out my existing for this.
I was breaking in my new front diff which is why I was driving at higher speeds ;)

sorry for the threadjack

CB

What springs are you guys running? I thought 10-12" of slip was required with flexy springs.

I have been running a non cv front shaft with duals and low pinion. My front shaft is only good for about 35mph and is only good for 10 mph in 2wd with hubs locked. I plan to go high pinion and have another shaft made. I was going to try a cv but maybe I need to re think that. I'd be happy to get 50 mph out of my front shaft.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

cbeers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 17, 2020, 04:54:19 PM »
I am running the Sky springs but only the 2F version.
I should check my build to be sure.
 :beer:

I think Dingman is the one who suggested non cv for the front since I'm HP and dual cases. he knows more than I ever will.

CB

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 17, 2020, 05:55:18 PM »
What springs are you guys running? I thought 10-12" of slip was required with flexy springs.

I have been running a non cv front shaft with duals and low pinion. My front shaft is only good for about 35mph and is only good for 10 mph in 2wd with hubs locked. I plan to go high pinion and have another shaft made. I was going to try a cv but maybe I need to re think that. I'd be happy to get 50 mph out of my front shaft.

I'm running a set of homemade RUFs..the main springs are from IIRC a 81 2wd..there the springs that have the most offset on pin..moved axle forward..then just stacking the rest..i cut most of the springs after the main, to give me 6" until the next one..have been good for the last 6 or 7 years.. sit really low too...which is a plus for me..

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 17, 2020, 06:39:09 PM »
I'm running a set of homemade RUFs..the main springs are from IIRC a 81 2wd..there the springs that have the most offset on pin..moved axle forward..then just stacking the rest..i cut most of the springs after the main, to give me 6" until the next one..have been good for the last 6 or 7 years.. sit really low too...which is a plus for me..

My setup is pretty similar. 79-83 4x4 pickup ruf (6 leaf).  I dont think the 8" spline liveoak posted would be enough with rears up front.  I planned to add a cv when I go high pinion but seeing you and others have success with HP and no cv has me second guessing.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

liveoak

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 17, 2020, 10:04:31 PM »

I think you are right about that. I don't have extreme travel. I am running some old 3 or 4 inch all pro springs with the bottom leaf removed and a standard pinion with just a bit longer than stock shackles. I am trying to build a more all around truck than dedicated crawler so my setup tends to be a bit different. I have been concentrating on my caster angle lately so my steering would more comfortably self center on the highway since I tend to drive long distances to reach a destination. I ended up having to add 6 degree shims on the front which moved the pinion flange down and prompted the driveshaft change from CV to non CV. It drives so much better on the road now.
For the caster adjustment, I used Roger Browns specs as a base point and got as close as I could with what I had to work with. This is what he recommends. I think you end up with somewhere around 1-3 deg positive caster

"On the Toyota front axle, an angle of approx. 6° up (front of perch higher than the back) on the spring perch provides a decent caster angle (Note: this measurement is related to but not the actual caster angle). At this caster angle, the stock front pinion angle will be tipped up ~5° from horizontal (or 85° from vertical). So every degree you tip the pinion up/down will result in the same caster angle change"
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2020, 10:28:17 PM by liveoak »

cbeers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 18, 2020, 06:31:52 AM »

dang. ok sticking with the ag spline then. thanks for the info toyodaaddict  :beerchug:

CB

idahank [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 25, 2020, 11:34:27 PM »
I switched to a non CV front shaft recently and had to redrill my front transfer case flange. It wasn't too difficult as the driveshaft centers itself in the flange.

Thanks for the info Liveoak
That’s what I did, I took the rear T/Case flange off and had a friend weld the holes up then redrilled the flange to match the driveshaft slip yoke. Turned out great.