Author Topic: CLEANERS, WAXES, AND PROTECTANTS  (Read 1208 times)

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,225
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
CLEANERS, WAXES, AND PROTECTANTS
« on: Jun 07, 2020, 07:58:58 PM »
I'm interested getting some feedback, opinions, and experiences with cleaners, waxes, and protectants.

My first interest is in cement driveway cleaning of oil and grease.

What's works to remove the stain as much as possible?

My 2nd interest is what is the best cleaner/restorer for the plastic lens cover on the headlights on my Corolla and Camry?

I'm sure there are lots of uses, applications, and products.  I'm curious what is the most popular and why.

Over the years I've used and tried a bunch.  I like paint thinner for degreasing parts.  I like the can degreaser from Walmart.  I use Simple Green and a towel to clean my hands while working in the garage.

I've used several different solvents including carb cleaner, brake cleaner, lacquer thinner, methyl ethyl ketone, and rubbing alcohol.

For polish I mostly use Turtle Wax, Turtle Wax Chrome cleaner.

Lately I use Meguiar's PlastX for headlight covers.

I use silicon spray for removing tape mastic and label sticky, and Resolve for upholstery.

For windows I typically use a blue Windex type spray, but I have mixed my own auto window formula and it has worked well.

And of course Amor All for tires!!

There are others, but that's a starter for now.

Any comments on what works best for you or your favorite will be appreciated.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2020, 08:06:05 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

KauriJ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 125
  • Female Posts: 32
  • Member since Oct '17
    • View Profile
    • Kauri's vacation photos
Re: CLEANERS, WAXES, AND PROTECTANTS
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2020, 09:52:04 AM »
I’ve always had great success with 303 aerospace protectant for the interior and exterior plastic trim. The trick is to use a lot and really rub it in. It’s kept the interior of my 3rd gen 4Runner looking brand new. I can’t get it in stores in the SF Bay Area (probably some crazy rules about the ingredients) so I always pick some up at an automotive store when I travel. (Disclaimer: I have no association with the company.)

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 535
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2020, 05:47:47 PM »
For the oil in the driveway, water. best cleaner for the driveway is a string of storms. Get a piece of plastic sheet and cover the driveway with it. Run water under the plastic to soak the cement and let it sit in the sun. The plastic is to keep the water from evaporating. If you have some towels you can throw away put them under the plastic to capture the oil. Takes time, but it does a good job removing oil. Chances are there will be a stain though.

As for wax, might as well talk religion and or politics. I used to do the Turtle Wax thing, then I got lazy and went to an easier method. Now I have this spray on rinse off stuff that does well enough for someone that doesn't want to put the effort in.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,225
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2020, 04:01:49 AM »
While doing research on concrete cleaners, came across this....

https://www.awebtoknow.com/reviews/best-concrete-cleaners/

I like the GP66 Miracle Cleaner product... made in America, biodegradable, NSF approved, and no animal testing.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2020, 04:10:29 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2020, 05:30:28 AM »
Muriatic acid does a god job on concrete.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck