• Turtle Points: 3950
  • Male Posts: 3,425
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Marlin and I slid "The Sluice" Martinez Canyon
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: AR15
« Reply #30 on: Jun 12, 2020, 02:46:51 AM »
So is there some doubt about the ability of a barrel to fire a specific round even if the roll mark is on the barrel?

From what I’ve seen and read, it appears that the roll mark on the barrel indicates what round can be fired through it.  And, it is known that a 556 roll mark means it can handle 556 and 223 - with the 223 round not being quite as accurate when fired through a barrel roll marked 556?

So from what know so far, I should get an AR-15 with a Wylde barrel.

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~26,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

Wainiha [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 705
  • Male Posts: 946
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jun 12, 2020, 06:10:59 AM »
Gnarly4x buy that question is why was confused and started this thread.
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

Gnarly4X

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #32 on: Jun 12, 2020, 08:30:57 PM »
Gnarly4x buy that question is why was confused and started this thread.

So I'm confused too.... so even if a barrel is roll marked 556 it may not be the right quality level to safely shoot 556?  Other than say the Wylde barrel?

Kinda like a DNJ head gasket for 22RE?

Gnarls. :inthedark:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~26,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

RUGER

• Online Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5401
  • Male Posts: 748
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #33 on: Jun 13, 2020, 09:32:48 AM »
So I'm confused too.... so even if a barrel is roll marked 556 it may not be the right quality level to safely shoot 556?  Other than say the Wylde barrel?

Thats got me puzzled to

RUGER :usa: :beer: :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS

USN SEABEE 2008-1012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

Hickory Nut

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 258
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jun 14, 2020, 11:09:18 AM »
From everything I've read and been told over the years. If your barrel is stamped 556 you can shoot .223 safely. Also, if it stamped .223 Wylde it is safe to shoot both. If it just stamped .223 then stick with that.

So, If your Barrel is stamped 556 shoot whatever bullet you want and feel confident in doing so. A lot of people use the numbers 223/556 interchangeably but the pressure is higher in the 556 than the 223...

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #35 on: Jun 29, 2020, 03:13:56 AM »
From everything I've read and been told over the years. If your barrel is stamped 556 you can shoot .223 safely. Also, if it stamped .223 Wylde it is safe to shoot both. If it just stamped .223 then stick with that.

So, If your Barrel is stamped 556 shoot whatever bullet you want and feel confident in doing so. A lot of people use the numbers 223/556 interchangeably but the pressure is higher in the 556 than the 223...

I just confirmed that with my CCW Class instructor.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #36 on: Jun 29, 2020, 03:18:13 AM »
Wainiha, not to get off your interesting AR thread, what are your favorite 9mm pistols and why?

I've been asking questions and gathering opinions.

So far I'm leaning heavily to a Glock 17.

Any other thoughts or experiences?

RUGER

• Online Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #37 on: Jun 29, 2020, 08:08:45 AM »
Wainiha, not to get off your interesting AR thread, what are your favorite 9mm pistols and why?

gnarls

favorite is subjective. the 17 is my issued duty pistol, the 19 i edc and theyre various gens along the way with glocks. ive always been a fan of the cz75, and cz makes a few newer ones like the p10 and 07(something like that) and i feel that cz is under rated.
id go to a few gun shops and handle a bunch and see which ones you like the best. if they have a range and those few in rentals even better, dont worry to much about accuracy but how they run and how comfortable you are with it.

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS

NRA life member

Wainiha [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jun 30, 2020, 03:50:56 AM »

Yes. I have 2 Glock 17s  They seem to fire and last longer in the conditions where live. I'm no murder but if people use semi autos you better load your clips with gloves or pick up your casings.  Or use a revolver.
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2020, 04:03:33 AM by Wainiha »
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #39 on: Jun 30, 2020, 06:53:01 AM »
Yes. I have 2 Glock 17s  They seem to fire and last longer in the conditions where live. I'm no murder but if people use semi autos you better load your clips with gloves or pick up your casings.  Or use a revolver.

Hi Wainiha…

I assume your comment is referring to leaving evidence?

I don’t know anything about your fire arm laws or discharging a fire arm laws where you live, but I do know something about the laws here in AZ.  In any case where you have to discharge a fire arm, or shoot someone in self-defense, doing anything other than calling 911 and leaving everything at the scene untouched, and not doing anything to your fire arm other than holstering the fire arm, or safety check it, is highly advisable by criminal defense attorneys. You DO NOT want to have the weapon in your hand when the police arrive.  Disturbing or hiding ANY evidence can be construed in court as an act of guilt.  If you become a defendant in a shooting, you will need every possible piece of justification in your defense.  Why? Because in most shootings or brandishing a fire arm, in Arizona you will have committed 3 for 4 crimes – felonies.

In a shooting incident most likely the police will be at the scene, and the MOST important thing to remember if you are the defendant is NOT SAY ANYTHING - NOT EVEN A WORD (Miranda Rights).  You will most likely be arrested and will need to speak to your attorney before making any statements to anyone.  This is EXTREMELY critical for your defense.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2020, 05:17:53 AM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #40 on: Jun 30, 2020, 07:11:45 AM »
Yes. I have 2 Glock 17s  They seem to fire and last longer in the conditions where live.

Yes, the Glock17 seems to be a very popular choice and as I understand it is very accurate, reliable, and has desirable ammo capacity, and probably other reasons. 

I believe the 9mm is considered as deadly as most other rounds as a defense weapon in close encounters.

Gnarls.

RUGER

• Online Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #41 on: Jun 30, 2020, 07:46:31 AM »
gnarls

the 17 gen 4 and 5 has removable back straps so you can play with the grip size and dovetail. if all you want is firepower the glock 18 magazine holds 30+ rds, of course it sticks down way past the grip. glock mags are interchangeable if they fit in the magwell, hence why i keep a 17 mag in my pocket when i carry my 19 so i get 2 more rds if need be but it does stick down a little bit.

shot placement is important to. i usually hunt with a muzzle loader so i get 1 shot and need to make it count.

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2020, 08:00:55 AM by RUGER »

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS

NRA life member

Hickory Nut

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jun 30, 2020, 09:04:53 PM »
The G17 is a workhorse of a Pistol. I keep one in the Tundra with 1- 30 round mag and 4-5 17 rounders. It fits well in in my hands and has plenty of capacity. It is the very simple to disassemble and it will shoot most ammo you load into it. I have never had mine fail to function. I think mine is a GEN2 with the rail bit no removable backstrap. If you get one, it should do everything you have mentioned and be very reliable.

If however you are looking for shear Knockdown power look at the Glock G40 10mm MOS (not for Every Day Carry). It has 6" barrel and allows you to add a holographic red dot. It's a good bit bigger in the hand due to the longer length/diameter in cartridge. The 10MM is basically a Longer .40 Caliber. It has 15 round magazine and is one of the most powerful autoloaders in a pistol. I think its is similar in ballistics to the 41 MAGNUM that is Usually only seen in revolvers. I think there is a G20 (my dad has one) that has 15 round capacity and the same barrel length as the G17. I got my G40 to try and kill a deer/pig within 50 yards, but I haven't hunted with it yet.

The 26 is a subcompact double stack 9mm but will accept the G17, magazine. They make an adapter that will cover up the gap while using a 17 round mag. It does help with the extra length of the Magazine but is kind of awkward and too loose for my liking. 

Wainiha [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jul 01, 2020, 12:12:16 AM »
I know my rights and the laws of firearms where I live.  My comment about picking up your brass, well....take it as u will.  I'm not scared for the police to see someone I may have killed.  IF and ONLY IF I had arrived at my mothers home and found someone hurting her.  She in danger I'll do what I have to, but I do not hunt people.  I too believe people who harm innocents have a mental issue and would be likely to kill with a fork just as much as with a rifle.

Anyone been to prison?  Can make anything a weapon.  Even our Toyotas.  Maybe we should outlaw all hammers, screwdrivers and silverware. :smack:
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #44 on: Jul 01, 2020, 05:53:24 AM »
....  Maybe we should outlaw all hammers, screwdrivers and silverware. :smack:

Well....  a hammer is for pounding in nails, screwdrivers are for screwing in screws, and silverware is for eating food ---- a gun is used in warfare, self-defense, or to kill something.

You didn't mention knives.  The Federal Bureau of Investigation released crime statistics for 2018, indicating knives were more than five times as likely to be used as murder than rifles were.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2020, 07:06:26 AM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #45 on: Jul 01, 2020, 05:58:31 AM »
The G17 is a workhorse of a Pistol. I keep one in the Tundra with 1- 30 round mag and 4-5 17 rounders. It fits well in in my hands and has plenty of capacity. It is the very simple to disassemble and it will shoot most ammo you load into it. I have never had mine fail to function. I think mine is a GEN2 with the rail bit no removable backstrap. If you get one, it should do everything you have mentioned and be very reliable.

If however you are looking for shear Knockdown power look at the Glock G40 10mm MOS (not for Every Day Carry). It has 6" barrel and allows you to add a holographic red dot. It's a good bit bigger in the hand due to the longer length/diameter in cartridge. The 10MM is basically a Longer .40 Caliber. It has 15 round magazine and is one of the most powerful autoloaders in a pistol. I think its is similar in ballistics to the 41 MAGNUM that is Usually only seen in revolvers. I think there is a G20 (my dad has one) that has 15 round capacity and the same barrel length as the G17. I got my G40 to try and kill a deer/pig within 50 yards, but I haven't hunted with it yet.

The 26 is a subcompact double stack 9mm but will accept the G17, magazine. They make an adapter that will cover up the gap while using a 17 round mag. It does help with the extra length of the Magazine but is kind of awkward and too loose for my liking. 

Very good information!!  How does a Colt Mark IV Model 70 do vs. a 40mm?

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #46 on: Jul 01, 2020, 07:04:44 AM »
I really appreciate the input and Wainiha for starting a timely thread.

So for those who may or may not conceal carry on your person, and assuming a G17 is the fire arm, what holster style do your prefer and why?

Gnarls. :gap:

Hickory Nut

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Jul 01, 2020, 09:02:35 AM »
That Colt Model 70 45 ACP is an awesome pistol. I have several 1911's. They can be a bit finicky on what ammo to use with them and you must grip them firmly. Once you get them dialed in with what they like they are as good and reliable as you can get. The 70 has a different safety mechanism than the newer 80 series from Colt. I think the 80 series is supposed to be safer somehow.

As as far as a .40 cal it is a good round but I've never seen one in the 1911 style pistol. I'm sure someone makes one but I don't have any experience with it. Typically you see the .40 in some sort of Double Stacked Magazine from Glock, SIG, or Springfield. All of those mentioned are great but I personally have never owned anything but Glock in those mentioned above. I don't own a .40 but it is a powerful round and will do a lot of damage. Shot placement is key with everything.

In my opinion if you are going to conceal carry the G17 is a bit large. The G26 would fit the bill. You would really just need to find what pistol you like then take it to an indoor range that sells Holsters and see what is most comfortable to you. I know people that carry a 1911 inside their waistband holster. The 1911 is a heavy pistol and if you want to do it right you have to carry it cocked and locked (Hammer Cocked and Safety Locked). Otherwise it is just a really good hammer until you pull back the hammer.

RUGER

• Online Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #48 on: Jul 01, 2020, 09:32:55 AM »
I used to have a cz75 in 40cal(my first pistol) and it shot great but it was stolen and ill another one someday. I replaced it with a s&w sigma and it was crap, long hard dao trigger pull without a crisp break or reset and I could only shoot a box threw it since it hurt my hands. I sold it and the guy seems happy with it. i think the 40 has a jumpy recoil and ill stick to 9mm and 45.

i agree that the 17 and 1911 are both heavy and not suited fer most fer concealed carry.
the 1911 will need to be cocked to fire. in a :pokinit: hit the fan situation you might not time to draw and chamber a round.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS

NRA life member

toyodaaddict

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 410
  • Male Posts: 912
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Jul 01, 2020, 01:39:43 PM »
I really appreciate the input and Wainiha for starting a timely thread.

So for those who may or may not conceal carry on your person, and assuming a G17 is the fire arm, what holster style do your prefer and why?

Gnarly, the G17 is a great pistol but for concealed  carry I would suggest looking at G43, G43x, or m&p shield (9 or 45). These will be MUCH more comfortable for concealed carry and I think you will be more likely to carry more often. If capacity is a concern, the G43x holds 15 +1 with shield arms mags.  :twocents:
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 5762
  • Male Posts: 3,453
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #50 on: Jul 01, 2020, 07:04:26 PM »
Availability / Cost of the pistol rounds ???
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #51 on: Jul 02, 2020, 02:00:35 AM »
Availability / Cost of the pistol rounds ???

I have not purchased ammo for awhile.  I don't know the cost or availability of 9mm, but I was told that its readily available and less expensive that other pistol rounds.

The availability of the ammo would be very important for me - the cost per round is not, since I will not be firing the weapon very often.

Regarding the weapon itself, I'm prepared to spend whatever dollars provides me the security and piece of mind of a very high quality, accurate, and reliable weapon.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2020, 02:10:02 AM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #52 on: Jul 02, 2020, 02:05:00 AM »
So... what I'm understanding is I need to go to a gun shop and hold and try out some Glocks and see which one "feels" good, and go with a smaller frame size for a  more comfortable conceal carry. :thumbs:

And... while I'm there, I need to find out about purchasing an AR15. :thumbs:

« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2020, 06:47:55 AM by Gnarly4X »

RUGER

• Online Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #53 on: Jul 02, 2020, 06:41:15 AM »
If you need bulk ammo check out sg ammo.

being that yer in the pxh area you should be able to find ammo since there are a lot of shops. tombstone tactical is a place you should check out.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS

NRA life member

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee

RUGER

• Online Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #55 on: Jul 02, 2020, 08:11:01 PM »
havent been to any shops up here but from i hear stores are looking bare country wide.
might need to swing by a few when im out running errands tomorrow.

edit: yep shelves are looking bare.

« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2020, 12:11:59 PM by RUGER »

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS

NRA life member

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #56 on: Jul 16, 2020, 05:05:42 AM »
UPDATE:  7-16-2020

I've been doing more research.  I like the looks and videos of the Smith & Wesson 9mm M&P Shield 2.0.

Any experiences or comments on that weapon?

This Saturday I will be visiting some gun shops to look at 9mm for conceal carry and an AR15.

RUGER

• Online Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #57 on: Jul 16, 2020, 06:15:43 AM »
gnarls

my father in law competes in IDPA with m&p shields, hes had a few of them over the years in different barrel lengths. hes done a few mods to them like an apex trigger and skateboard tape grips but that is his personal preference.

ive shot them a few times and I have no complaints. the trigger reset is awesome.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS

NRA life member

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #58 on: Jul 16, 2020, 07:16:11 AM »
I think this is a very enlightening comparison between two top choices when it comes to CCWs.

https://gunnewsdaily.com/glock-43-vs-mp-shield/

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #59 on: Jul 17, 2020, 03:47:48 AM »
Subject ammunition:

From my research, I see that ammo can be extremely important to matching with peculiarities of the firearm with consistent reliability.  And there may be other factors that make one ammo better over another.

I will appreciate any comments on what ammo (brand, type, etc) you use and why.

Thank you! :beerchug: