Author Topic: Online Ordering and Customer Service  (Read 2694 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,209
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Online Ordering and Customer Service
« on: Jun 01, 2020, 06:47:45 AM »
SUBJECT:  ROCKAUTO.COM

I have rarely had any customer service issues with ordering parts online.  I order from Amazon Prime almost weekly.

I’m curious if anyone has had issues with ordering parts from RockAuto.com and NOT getting customer service or a reasonable resolution to a purchasing or parts issue?

I ordered a power steering gear box and a steering coupler and RockAuto who then sent me a notice that the product is not available and I could cancel order or select alternate parts.  I cancelled the order.  Now, after 9 days, my credit card is still not showing a refund for $388.90.

On their site, there is no information about how deal with an order that is cancelled because of unavailability of product and never shipped.

For the only telephone number when calling RockAuto in Madison, WI, I got a voice announcement that “customer service is not provide by telephone”.  Selecting the option to speak to a receptionist – “no one available to take your call”.  There is no Chat and no other options for contacting RockAuto.

I have entered a dispute with my credit card company today.

If this is the way RockAuto deals with this kind of issue, I will consider other sources for my automotive parts from now on.

Up to this point, I have had good to excellent service from RockAuto online ordering over several years.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Online Ordering and Customer Service
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2020, 05:29:11 PM »
I hope this is a fluke...…..

Maybe it is Covid-19 related.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

arlindsay1992

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 418
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2020, 07:47:48 PM »
I too find it very frustrating when I have a problem and there is no avenue to talk to a person. Unfortunately, having people manning phones costs money. That money would have to come from somewhere and their prices would reflect that.

I'd venture a guess that I've made 200-300 purchases from RockAuto. I certainly have the magnets to prove it. I only recall one or two returns and they went smoothly. It's super frustrating when it happens to you, but problems are bound to happen to somebody at some point.

Chances are you're going to get your money back one way or the other. Just remember that it's unlikely anyone is actually out to get you, sometimes things just fall through the cracks. They are generally a great place to buy from and very often have the lowest prices by a large margin. Hopefully the odds are in your favor in the future and it doesn't happen again to you.

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2020, 07:53:27 PM »
I too have had nothing but good experiences with RockAuto. Sorry yours was more of a hassle.

RUGER

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16096
  • Male Posts: 1,013
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2020, 08:03:39 PM »
never done business with rockauto.  dang near all the time i get parts from napa and if they dont have it in stock i have them order it.

hope rockauto makes it right

RUGER :usa: :beer: :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

Djencee

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 260
  • Member since Apr '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2020, 10:55:25 PM »
I recently discovered that rockauto has terrible customer support. Their system is entirely automated and they make it a hassle to get a refund or return after one attempt. They sent me the wrong brake caliper twice and it became a fiasco resulting in me keeping the wrong part.

I ended up buying the correct part somewhere else and try to avoid using their site if I can avoid it. After this happened, I did some research and found out they are notorious for having poor customer service. You’d only ever figure this out if you have an issue.. people complain but it stays the same. They just don’t care in my opinion.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2020, 01:51:22 AM »
I recently discovered that rockauto has terrible customer support. Their system is entirely automated and they make it a hassle to get a refund or return after one attempt. They sent me the wrong brake caliper twice and it became a fiasco resulting in me keeping the wrong part.

I ended up buying the correct part somewhere else and try to avoid using their site if I can avoid it. After this happened, I did some research and found out they are notorious for having poor customer service. You’d only ever figure this out if you have an issue.. people complain but it stays the same. They just don’t care in my opinion.

Hi D…

I appreciate your comments.

Based upon my experience spending 45 minutes trying to figure out how to contact them regarding my un-refunded charge - and your experience - it backs up what looks like a real problem for RockAuto.

I will use their site to look at parts options, but if I cannot get the charge on my card reversed by RockAuto’s procedure, or by my bank’s policy on invalid charges, I will use all of my legal rights to pursue my refund, including, but not limited to, contacting the Secretary of State in Wisconsin.

I didn’t realize their reputation or their lack of customer service: 

https://www.resellerratings.com/store/RockAuto

https://www.bbb.org/us/wi/madison/profile/new-auto-parts/rockauto-llc-0694-36000240/complaints

It’s a real a shame they don’t understand that the customer experience involves a high level of customer service because their site does provide lots of information about the variety of products they offer.  A lower price means nothing to me when I have to spend time and stress to get a unsatisfactory purchasing transaction resolved.

For the average DIYer and consumer, typically auto parts are needed now, so availability and delivery is critical.  We don’t order a part before it needs to be replaced.

There is no logical reason for a company in today’s online commerce, selling into one of THE largest consumer markets on the planet, NOT to have high level Customer Service firmly implemented in their business model. 

Reputation is critical today.

Amazon has recently become more aggressive about their product offering in auto parts. They want to compete with the top 4 companies – Autozone, Genuine Parts, O’Reilly’s, and Advance Auto.

I am very impressed with the level of customer service I’ve experienced from Amazon Prime – they have figured out and have implemented an extraordinary response time to any issue regarding my orders.  I’ve been a member since 2005.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2020, 01:59:02 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Jun 02, 2020, 02:08:39 AM »
I wonder when their customer service went to hell.

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2020, 02:30:39 AM »
UPDATE:  JUNE 2 @ 2:30AM.

I just read my emails from last night. 

At 8:26pm, RockAuto emailed me with a Credit Issued on my Order.

"We have issued you credit for RockAuto Order # 141430547

MasterCard
Amount (USD): $388.90

Refunded Items
Misc: Overpayment Refund: $388.90 = Total: $388.90

Credit card payments will receive credit to the same card used to place the order. Please allow 2-3 business days for this transaction to post to your account. "

So.... I am satisfied with getting a notice that my refund is pending.  It's still not on my credit card yet.

I am very happy I don't have to go through any legal processes.

I'm very curious if my registering a complaint on my credit card bank about the this transaction prompted RockAuto to quickly issue my refund?

Or.... did they issue my refund notice as part of their normal process?

Capital One has not responded to my online complaint.

I realize that not every purchasing or financial transaction will be perfect.  I cannot count the number of times I have bought auto parts from an auto parts store and it was the wrong part, and had to go back to store and hassle getting the right part.... you all probably have been there and done that.

At this point, I will continue to do business with RockAuto.  However, I would really like to see their website have a contact page and information on customer service processing, AND be able to actually call and speak to someone in their non-existent Customer Service Department, or see a Chat option on their site.  I won't hold my breath.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2020, 02:48:09 AM by Gnarly4X »

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2020, 03:27:51 AM »
google search

'rockauto customer service'

this comes up under 'People also ask'

How do I speak to someone at RockAuto?

While 866-762-5288 is Rockauto's best toll-free number, there are 3 total ways to get in touch with them. The next best way to talk to their customer support team, according to other Rockauto customers, is by calling their 608-661-1376 phone number for their International Customer Service department.   Apr 30, 2020

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2020, 03:34:09 AM »
google search

'rockauto customer service'

this comes up under 'People also ask'

How do I speak to someone at RockAuto?

While 866-762-5288 is Rockauto's best toll-free number, there are 3 total ways to get in touch with them. The next best way to talk to their customer support team, according to other Rockauto customers, is by calling their 608-661-1376 phone number for their International Customer Service department.   Apr 30, 2020

Hi e....

Did you dial those numbers?

Yeah, I called that number.  The announcement says it's RockAuto Corporate headquarters.  Then you have 1 option - if you know your party's extension, dial it.  "Customer Service is not provided by telephone"!!

There are ZERO ways to get in touch with them!!

Their customer service sucks.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Jun 02, 2020, 07:52:27 PM »
UPDATE:  June 2

I received my credit on my Capital One card today.  :thumbs:

Gnarls. :gap:

RUGER

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16096
  • Male Posts: 1,013
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: Jun 02, 2020, 07:56:32 PM »
great news gnarls

RUGER :usa: :beer: :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #13 on: Jun 02, 2020, 08:01:35 PM »
Gnarly,  let me make sure the credit was processed correctly.

I need the card number

the expiration date

and the 3 digit code on the back

:D

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #14 on: Jun 03, 2020, 01:26:09 AM »
Gnarly,  let me make sure the credit was processed correctly.

I need the card number

the expiration date

and the 3 digit code on the back
 :D

Thank you e....

Name on the card: Gnarls B Badass

4321-5678-9876-0123

Expiration Date:  2031

3-digit verification code:  007

Amount to credit:  $3,888,900.00

If my refund doesn't go through, there will be 4th way to contact RockAuto! :gap:

Gnarls.  :biggthumpup:

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26735
  • Male Posts: 3,496
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 03, 2020, 08:07:02 AM »
UPDATE:  June 2

I received my credit on my Capital One card today.  :thumbs:

Gnarls. :gap:

I'm think in a weeks time, you'll get an email with 5% off next purchase..
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 534
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 03, 2020, 06:29:22 PM »
I wonder when their customer service went to hell.

Just like any other business that gets big......
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #17 on: Jun 04, 2020, 06:52:11 AM »
Just like any other business that gets big......

I guess it depends...

Amazon Prime has been incredibly good about their customer service, especially when needing to change, correct, or return an order.

Gnarls.