Author Topic: 82 Pickup Transfer Case Sound in Reverse -- Video  (Read 1967 times)

bpwilliams

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Member since May '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
82 Pickup Transfer Case Sound in Reverse -- Video
« on: May 13, 2020, 06:53:47 AM »
Hey guys, in the middle of restoring an 82 pickup. I have rebuilt the transmission and transfer, and mounted back on the truck. The rear driveshaft is installed, but not the front.The engine is currently not installed.

Currently the transmission and transfer are not filled with gear oil, just a smattering.

When I roll the chassis backwards out of the garage, there is a distinct ``clicky" gear sound that seems very pronounced. It is worst in 2Hi and nonexistent in 4Neutral between 4Hi and 4Low on the shifter. Check out the videos to hear the sound. So, is the normal? Adding gear oil would of course dampen this sound, but I didnt want to do that yet in case its not right and I have to disassemble.Thanks.

2Hi, 4hi, 4low:
4N:

Team_Jake

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 569
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
The videos aren't displaying, says they are "private".
My '99 4Runner - (thread)

bpwilliams [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Sorry. Should be public now.

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Sounds like something in the gear reduction section. Did you do 4.7s?
hold this. . .

bpwilliams [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I bought the truck January 2019 and started restoring it In March 2019. To my knowledge everything is stock. Do you have to clearance the inside of the transfer case to change the gearing? There is no evidence of clearancing inside the transfer case.

Team_Jake

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 569
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I bought the truck January 2019 and started restoring it In March 2019. To my knowledge everything is stock. Do you have to clearance the inside of the transfer case to change the gearing? There is no evidence of clearancing inside the transfer case.

Yes, the transfer case needs to be clearanced...look at step 56 of the 4.7 gear install guide here -->https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/guide/4701-gear-install. It should be pretty easy to check if it has 4.7 gears, with the transmission in 4th gear, shift the transfer case into 4-low. Roll the chassis so the driveshaft rotates 10 times, and get a buddy to count how many times the input shaft of the transmission rotates. If it's 47 times, you have 4.7 gears, if it's just under 23 times, you have 2.28 gears.

But back to the issue at hand, do you know exactly where the clicking sound is coming from? Can you narrow it down to the transfer case or could it be coming from the transmission possibly?
My '99 4Runner - (thread)

bpwilliams [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Yes, I am confident it is originating in the transfer.

When I put the transfer together, but before I attached it to my L52 transmission, I tried ``testing it". I shifted from 4Hi to 2Hi and it pushed the front transfer bearings out. It would then make a similar clicking sound. I assumed that this was simply because the bearings were not retained, but perhaps I caused something to become unmeshed? Is this a no-no?

bpwilliams [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
In the transfer case, I installed the transfer gear clutch hub backwards. I flipped it the right way, and its buttery smooth. Thanks for the replies.