Author Topic: e-locker actuator stuck  (Read 1493 times)

RabidSmurf

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
e-locker actuator stuck
« on: May 09, 2020, 03:23:41 PM »
I have a factory e-locker that I have retrofitted into an 84 axle housing. I am using low range off-roads "ultimate" wiring harness.

The actuator was working fine in the truck, actuated 20-30 times without issues.

I took the actuator out of the differential to bench test the harness, and create problems for myself I guess.  :hammerhead:

I actuated it on the bench, using the wiring harness and a car battery (same way as in the truck), and I think it may have gone past the limits or something and jammed it. The matchmark is about 15 degrees right of center, I believe in the locked position. When i press the button to unlock I hear a click in the motor housing but no movement, when I press the button to lock I hear nothing.

I think I screwed up the actuator and I am not sure how fix it, anyone run into this before?

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: e-locker actuator stuck
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 04:02:52 PM »
Do you have the axle off the ground so you can turn the inner axles?
If the spider isnt lining up with the gear it wont oush itself in necessity.
Try to turn the inner when its not "engaging"
hold this. . .

RabidSmurf [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 04:10:52 PM »
Yeah it's off the ground, I can lock and unlock the differential with a screw driver no problem, very little resistance.

The problem seems to be the actuator itself, which is not in the truck at the moment, I think I actuated it too far when bench testing and now it's jammed.

RabidSmurf [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 08:08:23 PM »
I fixed it.

In the FSM it shows the procedure for "indexing" the motor, it turns out if you so much as touch the limits on other end of the actuator range, the whole thing binds up and won't move anymore. Not sure what prevents it form doing that when it's in the truck, magic or more likely limited range of the locker fork movement.

So I found this guys thread:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/e-locker-actuator-motor-install.466058/

He runs into the same problem and was able to unbind his by repeatedly "bumping" it with the 9v battery. Did not work for me, I had to take the gear off (c-clip), two screws, gently pry off back plate, and then lift the spindle/spring/plastic gear assembly out in one piece, rotate it slightly so that it is within it's correct range and reinsert it.

Now applying power via AA battery allows it to rotate in either direction based on polarity, just need to index it correctly as per the manual and reinstall.

Of course I wrecked the o-ring cracking the case open  :smack: but once I find a new one, I should be good to go.