Author Topic: advice on repainting hilux with rustoleum?  (Read 1268 times)

KauriJ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 125
  • Female Posts: 32
  • Member since Oct '17
    • View Profile
    • Kauri's vacation photos
advice on repainting hilux with rustoleum?
« on: Apr 25, 2020, 08:38:14 AM »
I’ve been reading some great posts here by folks who have successfully used rustoleum products to do a budget repainting of their trucks that actually looks very (!) good. I’ve been hoping to get my mom’s hilux repainted soon, since it has some rust spots (but no “flaky” rust yet, thankfully!), the paint is peeling in some places, and when we wash it the driveway turns white from the paint that comes off… But financially that just isn’t going to happen right away, so I’m thinking of trying to repaint at least the worst spots myself, to hopefully prevent the rust spots from getting any bigger (and I’m thinking it’d be a fun “quarantine” project). I’m not terribly worried about messing up the paint at this point, it already looks bad (and I’m feeling guilty about not having done anything with it sooner).

I’m currently thinking of using the rustoleum “stops rust” automotive primer first, then their “automotive enamel”, but I’m not sure if this is a good choice and if I should then do a clear coat of some sort on top of this.

Also, I’m wondering if folks here have any recommendations about how using the gloss versus semi-gloss versus flat paints works out, and any experience with rustoleum’s “automotive enamel” versus their “acrylic enamel 2x.”

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

And if, in my searching of this forum, I missed a post that answers these questions, I apologize.

Thanks!

Kauri

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: advice on repainting hilux with rustoleum?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2020, 11:56:56 AM »
Would recommend savoring the edges of the original paint smooth to remove any that had started to separate.  Also chase the rust to clean metal, the amount of rust you actually see, is never the actual amount of rust you have.

Flat paint w one tiger stripe as easily as gloss/semi gloss, so overlapping of the spray pattern isn't as much of an issue, though with white, tiger striping isn't as much of an issue.

Would get one of the trigger units for spray paint cans, it will save on finger fatigue.

A busy did a Bronco with the Rust-Oleum about 10yrs ago in flat white and flat powder blue, and it turned out really well.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2020, 08:02:55 AM »
I would second the trigger units for the spray cans being essential. the amount of trigger time it takes to do a whole truck will kill your thumb if you don't.

I did my 84 with a satin finish and it was good from 5 feet away. key is prep. I primered the entire car with rustolium primer and then wet sanded. My dad always said the top coat will only ever be as good as the prepped surface you paint it on.

KauriJ [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 125
  • Female Posts: 32
  • Member since Oct '17
    • View Profile
    • Kauri's vacation photos
« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2020, 09:34:32 AM »
Thank you both for all the advice!

I will definitely get a trigger unit; thanks for the suggestion! And it’ll probably also help me to do a more even coating of the paint.

I’m thinking of trying the rustoleum “rust reformer” on the worst rust spots, which are on the truck bed, mainly because I’m concerned I’m not going to be able to get all the rust out by sanding it. And I am for sure going to use the rustoleum primer on everything before I apply any paint.

I’ll post photos of how the project turns out. Thanks again for all the advice!