Author Topic: Is a bearing retainer clip necessary?  (Read 2612 times)

Reckless

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 3
  • Member since Apr '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Is a bearing retainer clip necessary?
« on: Apr 23, 2020, 07:58:44 PM »
Hi, I removed the stock rf1a from my 88' pickup today and I noticed it has a bearing retainer clip preventing the input shaft and counter shaft from pushing "out".

However...my dual cases (both reduction units), do not have this clip, or any provision for it. Is this going to be an issue down the line, or is that retainer clip not providing that much extra insurance? In my crawl box, I can pull the input gear and counter shaft out quite far. Definitely at least 3/8"

The case out of my truck:

My duals:

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: Is a bearing retainer clip necessary?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2020, 09:26:42 PM »
They showed up at some point. Maybe ifs or something.  The machine work on the back of trans or adapter plate holds those where they need to be
hold this. . .

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,222
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2020, 01:28:06 AM »
.... I noticed it has a bearing retainer clip preventing the input shaft and counter shaft from pushing "out".

My guess is that clip was originally a factory manufacturing assembly part.  Most likely added to prevent the bearings from slipping.  During assembly the case was probably moved around in different axes.

Of course once the unit is mounted, the shaft and bearings are going anywhere.

My 1968 Chevy truck had rivets the kept the brake drums from slipping off the axle housing as they went down the assembly line.

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

D3vilduck

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 26
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2022, 05:49:17 PM »
I am rebuilding my dual cases right now and wondered the same thing. My clip lets the bearings move 1/4" or so but figured it was fine when all together. I thought it might be something hold it together during manufacturing - I think someone said that already.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2023, 02:20:28 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the question.

When Toyota introduced the 4cyl t/case for the 1979 model year (MY), it came with what we call "Noisy" gear sets. These were just ordinary helical gears with no bells attached (because that would be even more noisy :laugh:).

Starting with the 1984 MY vehicles, Toyota altered the low speed and counter shaft gears to include a new gear the thickness of a thin plate that is mounted right next each main gear with a shimmed fit that resists movement. This thin plate gear is designed with one less tooth count, so as the main gears mesh the thin plate spins at a different angular velocity. This difference of speed puts a load to the shimed gear which keeps a preload on all teeth resulting in what we call "Run Quiet" gears as it prevents gear chatter during the unloaded state between drive and coast.

Here are pics from the Repair Manual for reference:

While this reduced gear chatter noise, it introduced a new problem during assembly in that as you gentlemen noted both low speed and counter shaft gears are able to move and slide out the front of the t/case. The problem with this is that if they are (1) allowed to slide out which disengages the thin metal gears, then (2) rotated and meshed some, and then (3) pushed back in, then it is likely that the thin plates are no longer in mesh with the main gear.

In such case, when the t/case is mated to the transmission while the thin plates are out of mesh, then when the vehicle is driven the teeth on both thin plate gears will be worn down and bent over, throwing metal into the gear oil and eventually thin gear teeth snapping off and then moving through the box causing havoc.

To prevent this, for the 1985 MY Toyota added a Bearing Retainer Clip that is supposed to hold the bearings to the housing prior to being mated to the transmission. Once mated, the machined face of the transmission tail housing keeps the bearing race in place :thumbs:

If you look at our Transfer Case Bible, you'll see that from August of 1983 until April of 1984, Run Quiet gears were used on housings that did not have a Retainer Clip. Possibly either this was during a crossover period until inventory was consumed, or it took a while until dealerships were doing warranties where the issue of the thin gear plate not being in mesh were discovered.

On our own 4.70:1 gear sets, we omitted the Run Quiet plates for simplicity and maximum gear tooth strength as each tooth is the full maximum width that can fit into the housing.

Regards,
BigMike

Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

D3vilduck

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 26
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2023, 03:44:37 PM »
Thank for the history tech lesson, Big Mike!