Author Topic: Sorcerer  (Read 2550 times)

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 534
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Sorcerer
« on: Apr 06, 2020, 04:29:15 PM »
Going through the vinyl pile I came across a soundtrack to a movie called "Sorcerer". Might be a movie this crowd would enjoy. Now if I can find the disc.....
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

sirdeuce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Re: Sorcerer
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2020, 07:10:54 PM »
Arrghh, 4000 DVDs, 1000 Bluerays, not in there, 3000 Laserdiscs and it's in there! Laserdisc player needs a new drive belt. Murphy needs to go somewhere else, anywhere but here.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,219
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2020, 04:05:14 AM »
Going through the vinyl pile I came across a soundtrack to a movie called "Sorcerer". Might be a movie this crowd would enjoy. Now if I can find the disc.....

Duecie…

Don't fret, I got your back.  :therethere:

https://www.amazon.com/Sorcerer-Roy-Scheider/dp/B00MFVPW4Q

Gnarls.  :thumbs:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

sirdeuce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2020, 11:33:28 AM »
Actually, thinking of fixing the laserdisc player, there's a few laserdisc offerings that are not yet available on DVD or blueray and some movies that are available on laserdisc aren't edited to death, so I've heard. Might be worth holding onto the lot.

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2020, 11:42:40 AM »
Wtf is a laser disc :flipoff2:
hold this. . .

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2020, 02:27:13 PM »
Wtf is a laser disc :flipoff2:
Come on, your not that young, they were around almost as long as VHS machines, and in the mid '80's you could rent them and movies, just like you could do with VHS machines.

Didn't realize they were around long enough to acquire a collection of movies like sirdeuce has.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2020, 03:28:13 PM »
Im pretty sure ive never actually seen a laserdisc in real life.  I dont remember knowing anyone either.
We went from vhs to dvd.
But yes i absolutely know what an ld is, hence the non working emoji
hold this. . .

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2020, 03:30:18 PM »
hold this. . .

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2020, 03:40:11 PM »
Im pretty sure ive never actually seen a laserdisc in real life.  I dont remember knowing anyone either.
We went from vhs to dvd.
But yes i absolutely know what an ld is, hence the non working emoji
:smack:, bitten by the damn internet irony bug again, thought your post just had the proofread virus :laugh:

When you used to rent one, it came in a suitcase, and as I recall, they were front loading machines, and the discs were in a hard sleeve that you inserted into it.  My parents used to rent either one before they bought our first VHS machine in 1985, which meant we could afford to rent movies every other weekend, rather then once a month. :laugh:  Ah, the arguments my siblings and I had over what 3 movies to rent, and trying to sneak an R rated movie past the folks, simpler times.
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2020, 04:13:52 PM by Snowtoy »
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2020, 04:17:00 PM »
I feel that.
hold this. . .

sirdeuce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2020, 06:02:55 PM »
:smack:, bitten by the damn internet irony bug again, thought your post just had the proofread virus :laugh:

When you used to rent one, it came in a suitcase, and as I recall, they were front loading machines, and the discs were in a hard sleeve that you inserted into it. 
You're thinking of the 'CD' floppy type disc, which was a failed attempt. The laserdisc looks like a 12" DVD that was printed both sides. They came in a (mostly) cardboard sleeve like a vinyl record of the time. Some say the picture is better than DVD since the compression rate wasn't so great.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2020, 06:07:14 PM »
You're thinking of the 'CD' floppy type disc, which was a failed attempt. The laserdisc looks like a 12" DVD that was printed both sides. They came in a (mostly) cardboard sleeve like a vinyl record of the time. Some say the picture is better than DVD since the compression rate wasn't so great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaserDisc

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2020, 06:11:45 PM »
Laser Disc & Player

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 07, 2020, 08:09:09 PM »

I know what the laser disc had become by the mid 90's, just always figured that it had evolved from what the family rented in the early 80's, and the plastic sleeve protected the disc, due what they are both called.

So I am guessing what I remember renting, was disc version of the VHS then?

sirdeuce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 07, 2020, 08:20:24 PM »
Ok, I was a bit off, it was called a CED video disc, used capacitance instead of magnetism. Just another move to make a better recording media. I actually had one of those players and a couple boxes of discs. They had a lot of the same issues tape had. Time took it's toll on them.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 08, 2020, 02:10:43 PM »
Thanks for the info, I remember them being different than the first floppy discs, but with them being rentals, never would have had the notion to pull one apart.

IIRC, wasn't LD just analog signals laid down on a disc?  Might be why people feel the picture quality is better than DVD, i.e., analog signal being played on an analog TV, where DVD is a digital signal converted to an analog signal, before S-video came along.