Author Topic: '68 FJ40 WTF?? this will take a lifetime build  (Read 7167 times)

zidaro

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 480
  • Male Posts: 526
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
'68 FJ40 WTF?? this will take a lifetime build
« on: Apr 01, 2020, 08:48:48 AM »
Scored this thing.   
1968 FJ40 (early production- 11/67)
mostly stock
1F motor- original
spring green OG color with overpainted Ronald McDonald schema going on
runs and stops perfect, most electrical works.  aside from needing bulbs, etc...
Clean of any real rust
registered

now WTH am I gonna do with it??

get it safe, somewhat sealed up,  and reliable is the first steps.
resto?  i think not, i don't have the patience and i wanna wheel it a bit

And....... this will give this totally dead section of the forum?? something to look at
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

http://www.4wheelunderground.com/
TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
Re: '68 FJ40 WTF?? this will take a lifetime build
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2020, 10:16:14 AM »
Hey!   thought id do a lil update for TurkeyDay Covid Edition

haven't done much wild stuff, busy Summer working way too much for way too little.😅    cleaning things up, acquiring parts for bigger things.   

Picked up a Fr/Rr axle set off the FJ80.   

Rear full floater/disk axle for a wicked good price, but has tons of rust on it.... big cleanup required, thank god for Evaporust and grinders😂😂  It cleaned up well, OEM brackets all cleaned off and axle housing is now treated with Rust converter (VHT)!!

the FJ80 front- super clean.  Now i just need to pick up the Hellfire Knuckles and grind off a bunch of OEM brackets.
Once i have that dialed, then i swap in Full Hydro Steering to ditch the manual non.   Still figuring that one out, as i have 3 not eh tree trans shifting, and when i swap to PS i will possibly have to swap out the Steering column.
Still deciding if its getting linked or Shackle reversal using FJ60 springs.   Regardless i will be stretching the WB out as far as possible while still retaining my stock rear taillight location. (cuz i like its vintage look)

in process

Winter has arrived here in the Sierra.  Got snow on the ground and its cold as F***!
Been working on straightening up the body and getting weatherproof.  Behind schedule a bit but..... have a fresh and straight windshield frame, windshield, Hood, front Apron/grill almost set to reinstall.  As well as some other goods.

Got a bit jiggy on the yellow paint once i started exploring the idea of exposing the OG Spring Green that was covered by a few layers of other colors-- Fugly Yellow being my least fav!!.  Realized  the condition was dire, and removing any bondo i began building a CAMO pattern that almost looked good, and certainly FUNKY.   Kinda liking it and may leave the tub in camo till i can afford the time/money to do something better (which includes replacement Heavy plate rear Quarter panels- not diamond plate scab plates :shake:)

Also replacing these sweet seats with a set of Mastercraft Baja RS reclining seats in front.  Heated of course  :biggthumpup:   and swapping in a rear bench bc the jump seats are just not practical or safe for actual wheeling or touring.  As sad as that may be!!! :dunno:

these are VERY cool though!!

pic of my addiction  :ha_ha:  :yikes:  the struggle is real

'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

camhays556

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 498
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2020, 01:36:07 PM »
if you need any fj40 parts let me know, my father in law has the hook up.

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2020, 07:32:37 AM »
if you need any fj40 parts let me know, my father in law has the hook up.

Wow, thanks.   
that sounds like an offer i may not be able to pass up!!
Ill hit u up in a PM and see what's up. 
these things are hard sourcing some parts for, but here in Mammoth its the knowledge base i have zero help with.   Literally every day i drive tit around town someone approaches me and has tons of questions (that i barely have answers for😂) or they are huge 40 gurus on vacation - and shed tons of knowledge, but no one from my area to actually help out.😅
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

Dooner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 217
  • Male Posts: 769
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Invest in precious metal
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2020, 05:12:26 PM »
Updates! Updates I say! Looks like you are off to a great start, and sounds like you have a really good plan, modernizing its heart while retaining its soul!
"Project Land Cruzah" In Land Cruiser Section
71 FJ40 327/465/ 4.7 Mini T/c, Trussed, Armored Mini Axles w/ High Cross Over, Aussie Lockers & 30 spline Longs.  p/s 35's, SOA, , .  86 Burb D-60 14 bolt 350/400/205 37's.  02 F350 Tow Barge, Toyo 38's, Banks 5" Wicked wheel turbo, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, Blah Blah Blah

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2021, 11:21:29 AM »
New windshield frame and new glass!!   And a sexy fresh coat of Spring Green

Not gonna lie, installing that glass solo kinda sucked.  😂😂

Now just need to clean up the wiper assembly and reinstall.   Top and doors might actually fit with a straight windshield frame😎
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2021, 05:25:07 PM »
How she's sitting now.    Been a mellow Winter so far, minimal snow, so been busting out on some repair/refine bits.
Running good, i drive it around town daily.  But till its got a windshield and hood completely installed that's as far as it goes😳

Cleaning up the electrical a lil so it works better, replaced all the front lighting and cleaned up any evidence of corrosion on the front.
Windshield Frame and new glass, Aprons, Hood, Grill and bezel are fresh, no bond. even pops for professional paint- a first in my life 😂.
IPF headlights, Sylvania H4 pro? bulbs and Painless High Amp Headlight harness.  A start.
Slapped on some better wheels and tires.  Nothing special but honestly 33's just make me feel better 😎😂😂  Tight fit in the rear, but the suspension is so stiff there is no rubbing😂
Few other things too, ill update later. 👹
Still wrapping this stuff up, before winter hits😅

'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2021, 09:33:49 AM »
While i have the front body torn down- swapped out the sketchy steel 4blade fan for a 6blade upgrade, so IF it breaks it doesn't become a throwing knife!  pulled the radiator out and cleaned it up, straightened the radiator support bracket, cleaned it all up, replaced all the hardware and gaskets/seals with new.  all bolts turned!  (2/10 that i turn seem to break and need a drill/tap  :smack: :hammer:)  Feels good when its done

Broke down some hinges i picked up to replace the bent hinges from the flop it had 40 years ago.  The "new"ones were frozen too, dripped out the pins and cleaned up the hinges for paint.  Replaced the pins with SMG Fab SS/bronze pins for a tight long lasting hinge with fresh anti seize to lat forever!

Hardwired in the new Painless Headlight Harness, cleaned up a bunch of front wiring and replaced the wiring distribution blocks on the fenders.   the new Hella H4 100/55 bulbs in the IPF housings are BRIGHT  :biggthumpup:  like most newer vehicles

Time to button the front clip up (for now) and bust out the Windshield frame install and get the top dialed and weather-sealed for the first time in 40years since it flopped in a driveway mudslide.   Then it will be ready for EasternSierra Winter- If it ever arrives!!  Only logged a few days in the backcountry on the sticks this season  :shocking:

'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2021, 04:03:49 PM »
Some progress pics before the snow starts flying here!   Crazy looking at pics from last season today, and today.   We've got no snow in the Sierras!!  Gonna be a crazy summer if we don't have a Miracle March

Before-  Notice the household door hinges welded to outside 😂 and the bent frame in both pics.  roof didn't seat/seal, doors didn't align.  40 years like that  :yikes: :yikes:

After-  or mid?, maybe someday i paint the tub after some things change 👹

New dash pad from FJ40dash.com    and some bling billet windshield knobs to shine in the sun.   Pad soft, supple, and not rotten  :drooling:

old-   

new

front engine bay somewhat cleaned up

More to come  :beerchug:

'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2021, 01:40:09 PM »
subscribed!! great work!!!

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
Paint preppin the splitHood.   Picked this mostly strain survivor up down in SD offf a guy buying up everything around him on the web to build his 40 piece by piece.
Original hood had the metal 4blade fan blade rip thru it, and it suffered some damage when this slipped off a driveway in a mudslide in the 70s.  So im told.

'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
Hoods drying!  took her for a local spin.   Stock 53 year old springs are a bit ROUGH 😂😂
Thin impenetrable slab snow layer

that headliner glue sure looks shitay in pics (and in person)!

then that snow started flyin!   windshield wipers workin pretty good, defrost has an affect.  Not bad for a '68

need that hood on before this 6' storm hits tonight!!!

'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
finally getting to instal on a pair of sliders i purchased from Metal Tech
removed the stock side steps and trimmed the rocker panel up 2"

snagged a Muncie SM465 transmission to be installed at a later date.   Bolts up to the 3sp. bell housing and the stick t-case with an AA adapter.  stays short.  Has a granny gear.

installed a newer starter, as mine was a slug in the cold weather of the Sierra Winters.  HUGE difference with the High torque, and weight /size difference is at least half of the OG.  Made new wiring too.

Scored a Diamond Housing for this ride too!!
FJ80 outer balls, 9.5" FJ80 third, 67"wms.... nice n wide= stable

Got a trip on the Con planned for Early June.  Stock suspension , manual steering, drum brakes x4, open and stock axle gearing and transfer case gearing.  Top and doors off obviously.😂       Gonna HURT!!!!  but what a blast to run an OG ride thru the Con.😎

Then game on!!!  axle/brake/gearing/transmission/steering upgrades over next year.
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
trimmed 1.5" off length of front frame horns.
Mounted up a @red line landcruiser front bumper.  beautiful piece of work!
threw on a Smittybuilt 10.5 xO2 winch that i had laying around for my 08 T4R.   Need to be able to drag this thing across the Con 😂😂😂

finished burning in the Sliders.  added a 3rd frame to slider bar and gusseted them all.  Not certain why MetalTech doesn't include of suggest this for real wheeling.  2 bars not enough.

Found a cheap waterproof cover for a Jeep on amazon that fits great.  should work nicely in the Eastern Sierra when it can snow any time of the year.   Keep those seats dry and the Bears from sniffing around and putting their paws on everything when the top is off.

next up is stout trans skid and rebuild the exhaust to fit above the frame instead of 4" below it 😂

and put some comfy seats in!!!!
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
More progress! 
comforts for the creatures.  Mastercraft Baja RS seats HEATED!!!!!  got the DS installed, PS happening.  MAJOR difference in comfort and retainment.  side bolsters keep you in the seat much unlike the old duct-tape covered upside down snow discs in here before.😂
Still lap-belt only for now.  Need to get the cage and 28gal tank in before it all is settled and ready for harnesses.

Scored a set of TrailReady Beadlocks in a 17" flavor.  This will make 31" tires much more capable crawling.  and in place for the future👹.  now just need some tires to mount up😂 with tread on them for the con in a few weeks.   17x8 3.5"BS +25mm offset

Hitting the trail on the 10th, be there a few days.  Anyone plan to be on the Con that weekend?  June 10-15th

Cruisin the 40 life 😍   Picking the Kid up at school, soaking up the Vit D

« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 09:39:23 AM by zidaro »
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
Scored a set of lightly used almost 32" Toyo MTs on Thurs.   Amazing they popped up considering i live in a very sparsely populated area, not much happening around here in the off-road world.  Unless you consider the thousands of overlanders that pass thru daily😂😂
Mounting em up on the Trailreadys.   
Cleaned up the mount surface on the wheels,
chiseled grip grooves into the backside bead surface for added bead holding traction (an old trick i learned from a crusty grizzly old Baja Racemaster Dog) ,
8oz Ceramic BBs dumped in to balance.

Mounted, they are offset out a lil more which is great- more stable!  sticking out of wheel well about an inch.

'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
Finished tearing out old PS seat, cut off the hoopty seat mounts someone welded  on and cleaned up the cage.
Fit up the Mastercraft seat  and Tuffy console with a simple angle iron mounts.  Solid and secure.  No sliders yet.  But they recline and HEATED!! Luxury😍, and mandatory in the Sierras.
That will do till i can acquiesce a LRA 28gal underseat fuel tank and then ill need to fab up an entire new seat mount incorporated into a cage.

All this cool stuff ive been doing but i do have a real issue.   One that will prevent me from going on the Con if not addressed.
My clutch is slipping like a MoFo!!
It was very mild a few weeks ago.  I though i would just flush my MC/Slave, then got crazy and just ordered a NEW MC upgrade kit from CCOT that brings the old uncommon fittings  and components up to snuff with current '74+ Toyotas.  Kit arrived and was planning on the swap.  TURNS OUT, the CCOT complete kit is not.   It lacks the 90* banjo fitting and includes an inferior rubber line.  So i ordered the banjo, washers, and bolt, and a slick SS line from SOR.  They RULE BTW!  Specter consistently has EVERYTHING and its always top shelf.  I buy from other shops too, but they're TOPS!
So.... before i got to the MC upgrade install, by clutch starts slipping BAD!!  2 weeks ago i could drop the clutch in 1st and it would accelerate rapidly.  Now it revs high, stays high rpm, then slowly accelerates.  same slipping in 2nd/3rd.

I ordered a full clutch kit for SOR.
Now just gotta get at that trans cover so i can pull the trans.  get the flywheel resurfaced and slip in the new goodies.  Hope it goes smooth and no bolts are frozen😂😂

'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

Dooner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 217
  • Male Posts: 769
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Invest in precious metal
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Your gonna love the granny gear in that 465! Super short, mine was like 32" or so, with a topshift T case, and reliable as a block of iron. Digging the progress so far, its really coming together nicely!
"Project Land Cruzah" In Land Cruiser Section
71 FJ40 327/465/ 4.7 Mini T/c, Trussed, Armored Mini Axles w/ High Cross Over, Aussie Lockers & 30 spline Longs.  p/s 35's, SOA, , .  86 Burb D-60 14 bolt 350/400/205 37's.  02 F350 Tow Barge, Toyo 38's, Banks 5" Wicked wheel turbo, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, Blah Blah Blah

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
Your gonna love the granny gear in that 465! Super short, mine was like 32" or so, with a topshift T case, and reliable as a block of iron. Digging the progress so far, its really coming together nicely!

great to hear!   im really looking forward to that LOW gear.  Kinda scared of running the con unlocked with no granny😳  we shall see😂
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
took a nice spin thru the forest here in the Sierras.   Gorgeous out as everything begins to wake from Winter.   
Discovered my paint scheme is quite the Spring Chameleon  Full Camo mode😂, ya hardly know im there if it wasn't for those bling Trailreadys!

The it snowed overnight     Brrrr!!  not Summer yet 🥶🥶

'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
Fabbed up and burned in these lil babes yesterday.   Beefy tail light guards. 1/4" thick, should protect the lights and reflectors from "most" obstacles😂, and help protect the rear rocker a bit better than nothing

'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
Just getting this trans cover off was a pregnant dog!!

How the heck do i pull the trans out to replace the flywheel/clutch?   looks like the bell housing cant be removed around the fly like a 22re?   Do i pull the trans and leave the bell attached to motor?    also- can i do this without separating the t-case from trans, and leaving the  parking brake attached still.   And... can i just detach the 4wd low vacuum lines from the tcase without any worry.  or do i need to do something special to reattach ??

So perplexed by this old tech stuff😂😂  Feeling like an idiot.
Just hit till i have to replace the points in my dizzy😳

I did rebuild my exhaust though, and mounted my Downey OR transfer case skid!!   Had lots of time since i couldn't figure out how to pull the trans😢😢

'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
what a pregnant dog!!   i am.   Had to really put a lot of baggage in my purse to get enough leverage to yank this thing out😂😂
felt like i need to get to the gym a bit....not.   
so, it was a pregnant dog.  lot was frozen to the input, wouldn't pass the TO bearing assembly so was stuck till i got aggressive.   Then out she came.

Fly and clutch disk look like they could have used some love a few years ago.  But it still was worthy driving around town.
anyone need a flywheel?  perfect aside from a need of resurfacing.  Also have the complete 3finger clutch basket.  Disk is in the trash.

Cleaned up the rear tcase parking brake, installed a fresh rear output seal.   Maybe one less puddle of evidence at each spot i park at👹👹
Fresh rear crank mainseal and pilot are in, rear of engine mostly cleaned up, ready for a fresh fly and clutch!!

Got serious about electrical issues. 
Pulled the alternator.  that sucked too.  lower bolt frozen so had to air hammer it out after noKroil.  Which required removing the exhaust.
as i was hammering it out, realized bolt was going to, and did, contact the radiator fan shroud before releasing.  Think the sonovabitch was put in backwards, with nut on back of engine!!  If the nut would have been flipped to front, would just slip out.  but this way the only way to remove alt. is to pull the radiator shroud.  So... i did that too💩

new alt from @Cityracer and a fresh oem toyota regulator from FJparts.com   and a new 10mm x1.25 4.5" bolt😂

then, while in there under the hood.  Cuz most of my time lately has been spent with my head in the trans cowl.   I got a lil crazy and wired in an aux fuse panel with a master fuse switch, some fresh ground wires.   Wired in my seat heaters, aux/usb plugs for rear power supply at the center console, and cleaned up a bit of misc. wiring mess. 🤙

time to get busy and install the clutch!   also would like to scrape 10lbs of old grease and dirt off that trans before reinstall. 
Might even have the seats back in by mid-week!!!
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/zidarophoto/a/d770e87e-93dd-4ba9-9c8d-5834dfde5dcc/p/d8d63a0e-1fc9-49ac-8a70-c4ea32660582][/URL]

Got it all dialed.  clutch in and working, trans all buttoned up, charges now, seat heaters working😂😎. Downey skid plate on.   Then my Buddies we were hitting the Con with had a setback so we cancelled.   Went out with my Bro for a 5 day backpacking tour in my backyard instead.  It was epic.
Might sign up and Run the Roundup in Sept.   Does that run req. lockers?  :smack:

'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

bordain

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Looks like you guys had an awesome trip. Nice pictures!

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
I like those windshield hinges.  Of course your over all build make me green.
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
your over all build make me green.

thanks.......😁 greening too
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
finally went through this,
hoping there is more you just havent posted,
thanks for taking the time to share

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
finally went through this,
hoping there is more you just havent posted,
thanks for taking the time to share

Winter hit early in the Sierra 😂.  Never got on the Con, but luckily its still stock drivetrain, so maybe a springtime run.    i am cruising around in it all the time, just snowy roads though.
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes