Author Topic: '68 FJ40 WTF?? this will take a lifetime build  (Read 990 times)

zidaro

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 356
  • Male Posts: 501
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
'68 FJ40 WTF?? this will take a lifetime build
« on: Apr 01, 2020, 08:48:48 AM »
Scored this thing.   
1968 FJ40 (early production- 11/67)
mostly stock
1F motor- original
spring green OG color with overpainted Ronald McDonald schema going on
runs and stops perfect, most electrical works.  aside from needing bulbs, etc...
Clean of any real rust
registered

now WTH am I gonna do with it??

get it safe, somewhat sealed up,  and reliable is the first steps.
resto?  i think not, i don't have the patience and i wanna wheel it a bit

And....... this will give this totally dead section of the forum?? something to look at
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

http://www.4wheelunderground.com/
TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
Re: '68 FJ40 WTF?? this will take a lifetime build
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2020, 10:16:14 AM »
Hey!   thought id do a lil update for TurkeyDay Covid Edition

haven't done much wild stuff, busy Summer working way too much for way too little.😅    cleaning things up, acquiring parts for bigger things.   

Picked up a Fr/Rr axle set off the FJ80.   

Rear full floater/disk axle for a wicked good price, but has tons of rust on it.... big cleanup required, thank god for Evaporust and grinders😂😂  It cleaned up well, OEM brackets all cleaned off and axle housing is now treated with Rust converter (VHT)!!

the FJ80 front- super clean.  Now i just need to pick up the Hellfire Knuckles and grind off a bunch of OEM brackets.
Once i have that dialed, then i swap in Full Hydro Steering to ditch the manual non.   Still figuring that one out, as i have 3 not eh tree trans shifting, and when i swap to PS i will possibly have to swap out the Steering column.
Still deciding if its getting linked or Shackle reversal using FJ60 springs.   Regardless i will be stretching the WB out as far as possible while still retaining my stock rear taillight location. (cuz i like its vintage look)

in process

Winter has arrived here in the Sierra.  Got snow on the ground and its cold as F***!
Been working on straightening up the body and getting weatherproof.  Behind schedule a bit but..... have a fresh and straight windshield frame, windshield, Hood, front Apron/grill almost set to reinstall.  As well as some other goods.

Got a bit jiggy on the yellow paint once i started exploring the idea of exposing the OG Spring Green that was covered by a few layers of other colors-- Fugly Yellow being my least fav!!.  Realized  the condition was dire, and removing any bondo i began building a CAMO pattern that almost looked good, and certainly FUNKY.   Kinda liking it and may leave the tub in camo till i can afford the time/money to do something better (which includes replacement Heavy plate rear Quarter panels- not diamond plate scab plates :shake:)

Also replacing these sweet seats with a set of Mastercraft Baja RS reclining seats in front.  Heated of course  :biggthumpup:   and swapping in a rear bench bc the jump seats are just not practical or safe for actual wheeling or touring.  As sad as that may be!!! :dunno:

these are VERY cool though!!

pic of my addiction  :ha_ha:  :yikes:  the struggle is real

'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

camhays556

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 320
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2020, 01:36:07 PM »
if you need any fj40 parts let me know, my father in law has the hook up.

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2020, 07:32:37 AM »
if you need any fj40 parts let me know, my father in law has the hook up.

Wow, thanks.   
that sounds like an offer i may not be able to pass up!!
Ill hit u up in a PM and see what's up. 
these things are hard sourcing some parts for, but here in Mammoth its the knowledge base i have zero help with.   Literally every day i drive tit around town someone approaches me and has tons of questions (that i barely have answers for😂) or they are huge 40 gurus on vacation - and shed tons of knowledge, but no one from my area to actually help out.😅
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

Dooner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 227
  • Male Posts: 768
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Invest in precious metal
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2020, 05:12:26 PM »
Updates! Updates I say! Looks like you are off to a great start, and sounds like you have a really good plan, modernizing its heart while retaining its soul!
"Project Land Cruzah" In Land Cruiser Section
71 FJ40 327/465/ 4.7 Mini T/c, Trussed, Armored Mini Axles w/ High Cross Over, Aussie Lockers & 30 spline Longs.  p/s 35's, SOA, , .  86 Burb D-60 14 bolt 350/400/205 37's.  02 F350 Tow Barge, Toyo 38's, Banks 5" Wicked wheel turbo, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, Blah Blah Blah

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2021, 11:21:29 AM »
New windshield frame and new glass!!   And a sexy fresh coat of Spring Green

Not gonna lie, installing that glass solo kinda sucked.  😂😂

Now just need to clean up the wiper assembly and reinstall.   Top and doors might actually fit with a straight windshield frame😎
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2021, 05:25:07 PM »
How she's sitting now.    Been a mellow Winter so far, minimal snow, so been busting out on some repair/refine bits.
Running good, i drive it around town daily.  But till its got a windshield and hood completely installed that's as far as it goes😳

Cleaning up the electrical a lil so it works better, replaced all the front lighting and cleaned up any evidence of corrosion on the front.
Windshield Frame and new glass, Aprons, Hood, Grill and bezel are fresh, no bond. even pops for professional paint- a first in my life 😂.
IPF headlights, Sylvania H4 pro? bulbs and Painless High Amp Headlight harness.  A start.
Slapped on some better wheels and tires.  Nothing special but honestly 33's just make me feel better 😎😂😂  Tight fit in the rear, but the suspension is so stiff there is no rubbing😂
Few other things too, ill update later. 👹
Still wrapping this stuff up, before winter hits😅

'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2021, 09:33:49 AM »
While i have the front body torn down- swapped out the sketchy steel 4blade fan for a 6blade upgrade, so IF it breaks it doesn't become a throwing knife!  pulled the radiator out and cleaned it up, straightened the radiator support bracket, cleaned it all up, replaced all the hardware and gaskets/seals with new.  all bolts turned!  (2/10 that i turn seem to break and need a drill/tap  :smack: :hammer:)  Feels good when its done

Broke down some hinges i picked up to replace the bent hinges from the flop it had 40 years ago.  The "new"ones were frozen too, dripped out the pins and cleaned up the hinges for paint.  Replaced the pins with SMG Fab SS/bronze pins for a tight long lasting hinge with fresh anti seize to lat forever!

Hardwired in the new Painless Headlight Harness, cleaned up a bunch of front wiring and replaced the wiring distribution blocks on the fenders.   the new Hella H4 100/55 bulbs in the IPF housings are BRIGHT  :biggthumpup:  like most newer vehicles

Time to button the front clip up (for now) and bust out the Windshield frame install and get the top dialed and weather-sealed for the first time in 40years since it flopped in a driveway mudslide.   Then it will be ready for EasternSierra Winter- If it ever arrives!!  Only logged a few days in the backcountry on the sticks this season  :shocking:

'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2021, 04:03:49 PM »
Some progress pics before the snow starts flying here!   Crazy looking at pics from last season today, and today.   We've got no snow in the Sierras!!  Gonna be a crazy summer if we don't have a Miracle March

Before-  Notice the household door hinges welded to outside 😂 and the bent frame in both pics.  roof didn't seat/seal, doors didn't align.  40 years like that  :yikes: :yikes:

After-  or mid?, maybe someday i paint the tub after some things change 👹

New dash pad from FJ40dash.com    and some bling billet windshield knobs to shine in the sun.   Pad soft, supple, and not rotten  :drooling:

old-   

new

front engine bay somewhat cleaned up

More to come  :beerchug:

'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 525
  • Male Posts: 3,933
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2021, 01:40:09 PM »
subscribed!! great work!!!

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
Paint preppin the splitHood.   Picked this mostly strain survivor up down in SD offf a guy buying up everything around him on the web to build his 40 piece by piece.
Original hood had the metal 4blade fan blade rip thru it, and it suffered some damage when this slipped off a driveway in a mudslide in the 70s.  So im told.

'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
Hoods drying!  took her for a local spin.   Stock 53 year old springs are a bit ROUGH 😂😂
Thin impenetrable slab snow layer

that headliner glue sure looks shitay in pics (and in person)!

then that snow started flyin!   windshield wipers workin pretty good, defrost has an affect.  Not bad for a '68

need that hood on before this 6' storm hits tonight!!!

'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

zidaro [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile