Author Topic: Front Passenger Axle shaft will not go in after spartin install  (Read 884 times)

kevin11mic

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Member since Feb '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Installed a spartin locker in my front diff and went to put everything back together and the passenger axle assembly will not go in for the life of me. It’s binding up. So I could see what was going on I pulled the longer driver side Shaft out and slid it in the passenger side and when it starts going into the splines in the diff it binds against the oil seal towards the front of the truck. I would think the axle is bent but it doesn’t look it and it came out smooth as butter when I took it apart. About a year ago I did 5.29s in it and I remember having the same issue but I eventually got it and it all seemed fine. I cannot get it for the life of me this round. Any help is appreciated.

kevin11mic [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
So I pulled the third member back out to verify that the splines were ok and they are the shaft slides in perfectly. Left the third loose and was able to slide the axle shaft in easily. Makes for about a 1/32” gap between the third member mating surfaces. I guess my housing is bent. Amazing that the axle came out fine with the housing bent but maybe there was enough slop in the spline in the spider gear? Who knows not 100%sold that the housing is bent going to slip a different third in there and see if it still has the misalignment issue. I’ve always just used RTV on the third sealing surface but coulda gasket thickness be Enough to cause my issue? I think my gap is slightly larger than a gasket would fill without putting the shaft in a bind.

kevin11mic [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
So i ended up getting it back together. i heated the axle tube up with OXY/Acetylene on the back side of where i thought it was bent and it expanded it enough to straighten it out. It wasnt off much but was enough to make it bind. Also added a paper shim to the diff on the side that was off. Didint take much and i got it all lined back up. right or wrong its back toegether and no binding on anything. I do have another housing i will probably rebuild at some point and replace it. Probably wait till something breaks  :usa: