Author Topic: Just another new guy...  (Read 997 times)

90weight

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 468
  • Male Posts: 29
  • Member since Mar '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Just another new guy...
« on: Mar 28, 2020, 09:46:42 AM »
Hey all, just introducing myself.. new to this forum. My Mistress is an 84 Runner with some goodies. When I can post photos and such I will show her off. Hope to see ya on the trail! And let me thank all in advance for any help that I might sponge from this forum!!
84 runner with all kinds of cool things and stuff.. all installed or fabricated by yours truly.. definitely built not bought.

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Re: Just another new guy...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2020, 10:16:25 AM »
 :welcome:
 :turtle3:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2020, 01:55:39 PM »
 :welcome:  2  Marlinland   :turtle: 
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2020, 06:26:44 AM »
.... And let me thank all in advance for any help that I might sponge from this forum!!

No Charge!  :thumbs:

Welcome aboard.  :beerchug:

The US sales of early Toyota 4Runners was low, so those vehicles are relatively rare.  Go to Autotrader.com and do a search for 1984 to 1988 4Runner!

I admire anyone who has one or resurrects one to preserve it and its life as a legendary classic automobile.  Knowing what I know now, and if I could go back to 1986, I would have built a tube chassis rock crawler to 4-wheel and not rock crawl my Toyota pickups.  :blah:

US Sales
1984    6,498
1985    5,495
1986    5,564
1987    3,635

The 1984 4Runner with the backseats is a classic Toyota that I'd give my left testicle to find one and own one in the same condition as my current 1986 XtraCab.  :yesnod:

http://top4runners.com/runhist/runhist11984.html

Gnarls.  :gap:
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2020, 06:52:35 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

90weight [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 468
  • Male Posts: 29
  • Member since Mar '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2020, 09:31:39 AM »
Hey Gnarls, Thank you for that info! I had no idea that US sales were that low. Here’s a Couple of back story’s... when I  was 14 In 1985 I had a buddy up the street I hung out with and he had an older brother That bought an 85 brand new.. I happened to be at his house when the older brother brought it home... he came through the door just ecstatic! He took us out and I got to sit in the passenger seat.. I absolutely loved that truck from that day on! The one thing I remember being enthralled by was the inclinometer! I thought that was the neatest thing ever! Well as years passed I never got my 4runner.. I ended up with a 79 Bronco that by the way was a low geared 4 speed manual, lifted, 36” tire monster.. 4low and granny gear and I could walk next to her..great truck but not a 4runner.. so fast forward to present day and my son who was 15 now 19 had a buddy with a 1st gen pickup and him and his dad rock crawl, dad has a buggy on tons etc...and my sons friend had a first gen pick up that has all kinds of goodies.. so of course my son wanted a crawler... well we ended up in Sacramento grabbin his 85 pu.. and I in turn ended up on my 4runner Hunt again... some time passed and I had all but kinda given up because anyone that had one had either done a bunch of building to it and wanted to put their kids through college with their asking price or it was one that was on its last leg.. then! One day my son comes out of his lair and shows me a Facebook ad with this 84, not but 35 miles from me! I call the kid and he says he wants 3,600 for it... 3” blocks in the rear custom spring pack in the front with original springs an hi steer with the box of course, that’s all that’s been done to it! I says when can I look at it? he says this weekend I says see ya Saturday.. Saturday morning comes and call him to let him know I’m on my way.. he says I got a guy comin to look at it and he’ll give me full price no haggle... so now I’m pissed right.. I said oh you better sell it to him then and hung up...three four days go bye and I get a text... hey man if you still wanna come look at this runner I still have it..I says to myself.. self this one is a gimme... so I go up and look at this runner.. she is a beautiful black, a ding here and there, custom door panels, stereo, etc. all done up inside.. seats are swapped with second gen seats in pristine condition.. top half of motor is fresh rebuild no leaks except steering box, brand new weber on top I mean brand new box still on floorboard, 35” Toyos, brand new Mickey Thompson 17” wheels, etc etc... I says why didn’t the guy you had lined up buy it? He says it wouldn’t stay running and it doesn’t have a title but I have all the past paperwork.. so I start looking at the motor real hard everything looks in order except the carb.. he goes inside to get the paper work and I reach over and wiggle the carb about a half inch side to side on the plate.. Ok this is where you can hate me if you want but I don’t say a word... He comes back out and I look over the paperwork.. I look up from the paper work and I says.. well since it won’t stay runnin and you don’t have a title.. I will give you 2,000 for it... he thinks for a sec and says well since I just put those wheels on can you make it 2,300?  I think for a sec and I says.. done!  Got it home and re installed the carb, checked fluids and all and fired her up.. adjusted timing and she has purred ever since not even the Toyota tick.. and you should see her now!  Sorry for being so long winded..and ya I agree with you I don’t wanna beat her up either.
84 runner with all kinds of cool things and stuff.. all installed or fabricated by yours truly.. definitely built not bought.

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2020, 06:11:01 PM »
Hey 90weight,

I love the stories!  :beerchug:

You know you got a smok’n deal.  :thumbs:

I hope you realize what you have there.  :driving:

I’m glad to read that you aren’t going to beat her up!  :D

Gnarls.  :spin:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

toe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -60
  • Male Posts: 1,693
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2020, 04:28:44 AM »
 :welcome:
Me