Author Topic: Is it just me?  (Read 2517 times)

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 534
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Is it just me?
« on: Mar 27, 2020, 10:28:59 PM »
I'm seeing a trend here, maybe it's just me. Seems everywhere I go I see the fastest vehicles on the road are these massive pickups and SUVs. Ford, Chevy, dodge, Toyota,  I'm seeing these vehicles being driven like the owners think they're hyper cars. These guys also like to be so close to the car in front of them there's no way to see the tail lights. Is it just me or are these vehicles the next danger issue on the road?
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,218
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2020, 04:22:35 AM »
“Interstate-10 in Arizona – This highway in Arizona was ranked 18th on the list of “America’s 100 Deadliest Highways,” making I-10 in Arizona the most dangerous highway in the state. Between 2004 and 2008, a total of 518 people died in 419 auto accidents on I-10 in Arizona, according to the top 100 list. That’s 1.07 fatal accidents per mile on this 392.33 mile long road, which runs right through Phoenix and Tucson, AZ.”

That data is way off.  There is 5 times more traffic today than there was in 2008!!

In the past five years, I-10 had the most fatal accidents — 1,342, to be exact — of any other highway. About 20 percent of them occurred in Arizona, making the Grand Canyon State the second-deadliest state along the I-10.

For the past 14 years I have traveled a 30 mile stretch of the I-10 between Casa Grande and Phoenix to work and back home 5 days a week - about 70 miles total.  90% is on the I-10 freeway, and I drive about 80 MPG in the 75 MPH zones.  When I had my Tundra, I felt safer and was only intimidated by a semi.  With my little plastic Corolla, I let any crazy driver go passed and stay away from them. Arizona is an open-carry state and a conceal carry license is NOT required. It's been reported that every 5th vehicle in Arizona is packing a gun.

Accept for a 4-mile new section, the freeway is a 2-lane road – 2 lanes going west, 2 lanes going east.  There are twice and many semis than cars. It’s a major truck route between AZ and South Texas and Mexico.

The large pickups and large SUVs do tend to be pushy, running up my bumper to intimidate me to move over to the right lane. BUT.... I get a small car sucking my exhaust pipe all the time.  Because of sudden stops and slow-downs, I stay back from the vehicle in front of me.  When I’m in the left lane, the space in front of me is quickly taken up by an a$$-hole driver speeding up the right lane thinking he’s going blast past a 20-vehicle line in the left lane.

The big pickups and SUVs sit up high and have better visibility, so they can see what’s happening up ahead and can adjust.  The little cars that are sucking my exhaust pipe can’t see didley and those are ones that make me real nervous.

I’d have to take a count to see if there is a “trend” on what type of vehicle is the most pushy.  But right now I’d say it’s about 50/50.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2020, 04:49:02 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2020, 10:02:48 AM »
The problem is that most people aren't ACTUALLY qualified to operate a motor vehicle.
People not having to driver train in adverse or stressful situations in complete BS.
Vehicles, IMO, are far more dangerous than guns.
hold this. . .

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2020, 01:54:05 PM »
Roger  That, gnob!!!   :yikes:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2020, 03:28:35 PM »
The problem is that most people aren't ACTUALLY qualified to operate a motor vehicle.
People not having to driver train in adverse or stressful situations in complete BS.

You are right!

Read this:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshmax/2017/10/10/comparing-gun-carnage-with-auto-deaths-is-a-flawed-argument/#472c01f5483e

According to John Lott, president of the Crime Prevention Research Center and the author of "More Guns, Less Crime", about 1.8% of gun deaths are accidental. 

A staggering 65% of gun fatalities are suicides.

https://www.investors.com/politics/commentary/gun-vs-traffic-accident-deaths-getting-the-data-straight/

Odds of dying:  https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/all-injuries/preventable-death-overview/odds-of-dying/

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2020, 03:47:32 PM »
Ftr, your chances of dying are 100%  ;)
hold this. . .

sirdeuce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2020, 08:41:08 PM »
Ftr, your chances of dying are 100%  ;)

It's been proven, the leading cause of death is life.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

sirdeuce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2020, 08:42:55 PM »

Most of the people on the road are hardly qualified to look at a motor vehicle, ;et alone drive one.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2020, 09:37:08 PM »

……......…... There is 5 times more traffic today than there was in 2008!! …………………..

WRONG!

Today there was 5 times less traffic than there was in 2008..

:cheese:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2020, 05:15:49 AM »

WRONG!

Today there was 5 times less traffic than there was in 2008..

:cheese:

Hey e...

You know for an old fart you are still quick on the draw!!  :beerchug:

On my 50th birthday the Mesa 4 Wheelers gave me a warm-hearted birthday celebration.  :respect:

One gift I received is a little business card size magnetic sticker, and it's been on my refrigerator since then.  :thumbs:

Gnarls.  :dancing:

sirdeuce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2020, 10:19:15 AM »

One gift I received is a little business card size magnetic sticker, and it's been on my refrigerator since then.  :thumbs:

Gnarls.  :dancing:

Hahahaha, great!

I had one, several moves ago, said "If you're too old to cut the mustard you can still lick the jar". I think my wife finally lost that in one of the moves, she hated that thing.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2020, 05:56:21 PM »

... "If you're too old to cut the mustard you can still lick the jar."   :hahaha: :laugh: :ha_ha:

That's a good one!!   :gap:

Gnarls.

idishert

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Mar '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 03, 2020, 07:40:58 AM »
I'm seeing a trend here, maybe it's just me. Seems everywhere I go I see the fastest vehicles on the road are these massive pickups and SUVs. Ford, Chevy, dodge, Toyota,  I'm seeing these vehicles being driven like the owners think they're hyper cars. These guys also like to be so close to the car in front of them there's no way to see the tail lights. Is it just me or are these vehicles the next danger issue on the road?

Not every SUV/truck driver is like that. I drive a pickup truck but I drive carefully and know how to keep distance from another vehicle on the road.

sirdeuce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2020, 01:55:52 PM »
Not every SUV/truck driver is like that. I drive a pickup truck but I drive carefully and know how to keep distance from another vehicle on the road.

Not saying "all" just that my odservations, in the routes I take, it's the big pickup and SUVs that are driving erratically and faster than everybody else.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #14 on: Apr 04, 2020, 02:30:42 PM »
It's been reported that every 5th vehicle in Arizona is packing a gun.

I miss AZ.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you