Author Topic: Upgrading interior  (Read 7600 times)

franky112665

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
Upgrading interior
« on: Mar 24, 2020, 07:42:12 PM »
Gonna get the stink out. What upgrades would you do to a daily driver? I have a 94 pre Tacoma model ex cab with a 22re. Needs seats carpet etc.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading interior
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2020, 01:54:03 AM »
You can find oem quality carpet or vinyl here at stock interiors https://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=3994&ModelId=485

Replacement seats, you have both new and used options, though new ones don't come cheap and stay away from the cheap $200 new seats, they are garbage.  If you don't want to spend around $1k on new seats, there are plenty of used bucket seats, I have '94 Supra seats in my '91, they did take  some fabrication work for the rear mounts, but the front lined up just fine.  For the most part, most Japanese manufacturer's bucket seats will be direct bolt-ins, with the only issue being the thickness of the seat bottom, too thick and they reduce headroom.

With bucket seats, center consoles are a common upgrade, euther retrofitting new, or building your own.  For factory options, contact Erick561 here https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96974.750, he may have a complete ones.  '90-'95 4-Runner center consoles will fit, and likely 1st gen Tacoma and 3rd generation 4 Runner consoles should as well.  Once you get the seats you want to go with in, you might be able to find car center consoles that might work as well.
If you want to try your hand at making one, search here or over on pirate4x4, or google for examples.  I built a simple one off of an ammo can for my '91 about 14yrs ago, with a section to hold a small icechest for the trail.

and built this one out of wood for an '85 Extra cab about 6yrs ago.

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

bordain

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2020, 01:16:52 AM »
Adding seat covers is a nice interior upgrade also.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,223
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2020, 05:59:49 AM »
You can find oem quality carpet or vinyl here at stock interiors https://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=3994&ModelId=485

Wow... that is really cool site.  I've been putting off getting new carpeting for my 86, but I think they will get my order!!  Thank you Snowtoy!!

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Dr Phat

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 305
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2020, 10:43:45 AM »
Wow... that is really cool site.  I've been putting off getting new carpeting for my 86, but I think they will get my order!!  Thank you Snowtoy!!

Gnarls.

Ive ordered carpets from them twice now ('84 single cab and '88 Xtra Cab). Add the optional "mass backing" for sure. A carpet blade (box cutter with a hooked end) is super coveinent. Having the old carpet to use as a templete is super helpful but not necessary. They will ship you carpet samples for free as well to help dial in the color you need.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2020, 03:24:50 AM »
Ive ordered carpets from them twice now ('84 single cab and '88 Xtra Cab). Add the optional "mass backing" for sure. A carpet blade (box cutter with a hooked end) is super coveinent. Having the old carpet to use as a templete is super helpful but not necessary. They will ship you carpet samples for free as well to help dial in the color you need.

Hey Dr Phat....

Thank you for the confirmation.  Empirical knowledge is great.  :beerchug:

Do I have to cut it to get it to fit in my 86 Xtra Cab?  How much cutting is expected?

I was curious about the thickness of the mass backing being too thick.

I really like the fact that its "MADE IN THE USA"!!

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2020, 02:59:38 PM »
Hey Dr Phat....

Thank you for the confirmation.  Empirical knowledge is great.  :beerchug:

Do I have to cut it to get it to fit in my 86 Xtra Cab?  How much cutting is expected?

I was curious about the thickness of the mass backing being too thick.

I really like the fact that its "MADE IN THE USA"!!

Gnarls.

It comes a little wide and a little long, so you will have to trim the over hang on the side, and the upper footwell area to get it lay flat.  They recommend laying it down, start with installing the center console and move outward, waiting to trim the overhang once you the seats installed. 

Their carpet is good quality, and the molded sections are nearly oem, I would request a some samples, the blue I got for my Supra was a little on the bright side for navy, but the brown and charcoal I have used were near oem color.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2020, 03:03:05 AM »
It comes a little wide and a little long..

Snowtoy... thank you.  That is very good info!!  :beerchug:

Gnarls.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2020, 10:08:59 AM »
Here are two pics from my Supra for fit and finish, along with their floor mats.