Author Topic: Dash stops working when I click into reverse or use turn signals.  (Read 2254 times)

Blacklineyota

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 6
  • Member since Feb '20
  • If in doubt....well...you know the rest
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Ok let me start by saying any help is appreciated. Truck are a alternator, it started overcharging and I got a new one slapped it in and bam solved. About a HR later on my way to work the charge light came on and then next thing I know the dash stopped working. It's been on and off since then I've got no corrosion in fuse box and have good powers. Is it shorting in the multifunction switch or something? The clock and radio will come on but no dash lights or gauges. Anytime this happens it seems the alternator will stop charging but anytime the dash is alive it charges. I'm 99.9 percent sure my problem is correlated but I've done everything I know. I even went out today and starts right up, alternator charging and dash working until I turned on a signal. The hazzards work but I have no running lights front or rear whenever this happens although I do have headlights.
I'm to the point of getting a aftermarket gauge setup a d bypassing the alternator wiring. I'm already a quarter of the way there with my fancy mechanical temp gauge. Thanks for the future help.
Corbin Murrell

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Sounds like a ground issue or possibly a bad fuse is backfeeding a circuit.
Check fuses, then check all your marker light plugs and bulbs
hold this. . .

Blacklineyota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '20
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Exactly what I'm headed towards but usually there's not a common ground for something such as these small circuits it's usually a couple different smaller grounds as I'm asuming it's like almost every other one out there. Is there any specific fuse I need to check such as the fuse for the running lights, I don't remember there being a dash fuse and the dash fuse is tied in with something else but I don't recall what. I know you mentioned a fuse could be back feeding so that's why I'm trying to piece something together so I can get this figured out  :hammerhead: :dunno: I've already tried the multi function switch relay and eliminated that. I'll check my bulbs too, the dash is grounded through the dimmer switch I'd I remember correctly (Which has always been finicky on mine before). I appreciate all the help I was to to point of  :flamer: this thing until I had to cool down for a couple days. Gotta love yotas wiring setup :inthedark:, I know it can be my own fault cause I'm overlooking a wiring harness that's probably in reality really simple. Thanks for the feedback
Corbin Murrell

Blacklineyota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '20
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Please help! I think I have it narrowed down I just need a reliable source or a wiring diagram because my short or bad ground is somewhere in the circuit for the reverse lights and the signals. I can use lights, radio or whatever and drive it as long as I want but as soon as I use reverse or my signals my running lights, dash, dash lights and alternator stop charging until you give it about a day until it everything will start working again. Help!   :hammerhead: :dunno: :sheerterror:
Corbin Murrell

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3687
  • Male Posts: 2,847
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
@:)bestgen4runner
Time to go wheelin!

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Unplug the harness behind the passenger seat and see if it stops
hold this. . .

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Haynes manual will work for what you need
hold this. . .

Blacklineyota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '20
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
@gnob
It's a 86 sr5 pickup. I've been all around this truck and I'm not sure what your talking about. Is it under the carpet or like under the cab of the truck? Sorry it took me almost 2 weeks to respond I've been working allot.
Corbin Murrell

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 535
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
What condition are your battery connections? Alternator B+ tight?
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

Blacklineyota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '20
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Now I have a no start condition, went to go move it into the shop and it just spins over now  :maddest:
I'll check the alternator b+ and get back with you. Thanks
Corbin Murrell

Blacklineyota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '20
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Fixed!!! :ladys-man: I pulled the interior kickbox fusebox out and lots of corrosion behind the spade connectors so after some connection cleaner, some compressed air and wd-40 we now have everything back to normal. Don't ask me why it caused everything else to do what it did but non the less  :beerchug: I wish I could post the pic of the fusebox
Thanks
Corbin Murrell