Author Topic: Ifs Tie Rod Upgrade  (Read 1218 times)

Bashrogers

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 44
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Ifs Tie Rod Upgrade
« on: Feb 25, 2020, 02:38:16 PM »
Hi everyone, I am in the process of buying new TR kit for my 1986 pickup 4x4 with stock IFS.  I've  been thinking of doing a beefier setup for the stock kit.
First: will FJ80 tie rod ends fit into the original mounting spaces both inner and outer ends.
Second: if I can find an adjusting sleeve that's thick enough to fit the ends and make proper adjustments for alignment, could it work? 
Thank you

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Ifs Tie Rod Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2020, 02:24:45 AM »
Hi everyone, I am in the process of buying new TR kit for my 1986 pickup 4x4 with stock IFS.  I've  been thinking of doing a beefier setup for the stock kit.
First: will FJ80 tie rod ends fit into the original mounting spaces both inner and outer ends.
Second: if I can find an adjusting sleeve that's thick enough to fit the ends and make proper adjustments for alignment, could it work? 
Thank you

Hey Bashrogers,

Welcome to the forum.  :thumbs:

Why do you want "beefier" tie rods?  :dunno:

Just curious.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Bashrogers [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2020, 12:46:26 PM »
I would like to make my truck an all around stronger than stock setup. 2 inch lift with 33s, dual case 4:56s with an e locker is my dream. Tried to smog the truck last week in CA, 22r wasn't even close to passing. Going with a 3rz will be on non op until then, figured I'd see what all was possible with an ifs rig too. If there was an rclthd for this generation I'd hop on it but I can't find anything similar that's as capable.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2020, 10:42:38 PM »
Your best bet would be to go to a parts house and compare the two to see if the studs are the same size, from there you would then have to do something with the adjustment sleeve, as the ends wont be the same length, nor create the same angles when assembled.

FWIW, the oem ends are pretty strong, the ends used are the same for the 1-ton trucks as well as the T100's.  In nearly 30yrs of wheeling IFS, I have only broke one outer, and that was on my '91 w/35's.  The truck was well abused as a winery truck be fore I saved it from the wrecking yard, and the tie-rods were something I neglected to replace before its first wheeling trip, which is when I broke the end.  Haven't had an issue with the replacement ends, and it has been 12 plus yrs now with them running 35's. 

With what your plans are, the oem ones should be just fine, just replace them with new ones including the adjustment ones and carry the old ones as spares, dual cases pretty much end the need to hit obstacles at speed to get over, which is how I broke the one on my '91 trying to bump the tire up over a root on a steep uphill section of a trail.

What were the numbers of your smog test?  CA smog isn't that hard to pass as long as all the equipment is installed and working properly.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Bashrogers [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2020, 01:34:54 PM »
Awesome, thank you for the advice I'll definitely keep the stock set up then. Also when I took it to my smog tech he had only threw it on the dyno with the meter in the exhaust, he didnt print a measurement sheet but showed me on the screen and he had suggested a carburetor replacement/tuneup , full vacuum check and possibly the egr was bad. He also mentioned that carbon monoxide was through the roof along with a few others. The catalytic converter I have on it was grandfathered to me and "illegal" in CA. So I figured make it a project truck until I can 3rz swap it and smog it for years to come. My family is also growing to a +1 in September so I'm looking for a 2nd or 3rd gen Tacoma for baby seating that'll be my daily so I can tear into the 86'. This truck will be my kids when they earn it. The engine I rebuilt myself last year and have put 25k-30k on it. I marked all the vacuum and emission tubes before I started the tear down. I have close to 10-12 vacuum hoses coming from the carb. It's just hard to justify getting this 22r up to par since the 3rz swap is pretty straight forward figured why not. Also one more question, have you guys had issues with ITM heads, that's what I used on my rebuild and a lot of the mounting positions didnt line up like the factory cast head, causing my valve cover gasket to leak. Thank you.