Author Topic: Newb axle questions  (Read 1071 times)

Red October

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 80
  • Male Posts: 11
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Acquiring Parts
    • View Profile
Newb axle questions
« on: Feb 12, 2020, 08:52:06 PM »
So I have wrenched for a long time on various things. I have always "wheeled" IFS rigs, that have been my daily drivers, so my experience has been pretty much limited to thinking along the lines of " I hafta drive this home, and to work on Monday. Nothing hardcore for me. I have never gone thru a Toyota SFA before. I did however pick up a cheap '85 front housing recently that I am hoping to use on my upcoming build (all wheeler this time). I have so damn many questions first, and some of them may seem redundant to many here, but I don't know any better at this point.

First things first. This "axle" consists of an '85 housing with booger welded armor and a hack truss sorta half ass welded upon it, knuckles, stock steering, including an old school crossover arm welded onto the passenger arm, and stock birfs and inner axles, and stock hubs. The guy stole the trunnion caps, spindles and third. Really not that terrible, since its a great excuse to buy upgrade parts.

My goals initially for this truck are some 35-36 inch Truxs or Iroks. I have an e-locker to put in the axle. I'm gonna cut everything off the housing and start fresh, including spring perches since I want links. I wanna get a lot of this right on the first try, and only need to build this axle once. I know there will be things I miss.

Here are a few questions that I have, ;

Trussing a front axle; Is a top truss enough for most people? Is it advised, or is stock pretty ok?

Knuckle ball gussets; Are they needed? Who's stuff is good (...I know this is Marlin..)?

Trunnions; Stock? I like the 25mm upgrade idea more than the TG eliminators, and if I hafta spend money on stock parts I'm already halfway there or more.

Spindles; Now I'm really getting confused, Do I need Chromo Spindles? I have seen what appear to be stock replacements, and the TG Chromo's, will regular spindles be enough? Or is this in the same vein as the trunnions, just a few dollars more since I hafta buy them anyways. I also have IFS hubs that I plan to use in this build, if that makes any difference.

Since I don't have the original lower shims and trunnion caps, What is the best way to align the knuckles when I start putting it together ( am I gonna need the $500 dollar tool?  :sheerterror: )

I'm sure there's more...
...If ya always do what ya always done, Ya always gonna get what ya always got...

- Sales Employee -

KDNICKELS

• Hawk
  • Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 502
  • Member since Apr '19
  • 1998 Toyota 4Runner
    • View Profile
Re: Newb axle questions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:23:14 AM »
I personally recommend welding on gussets and trusses if you are going to be wheeling the truck, as they will help greatly with reinforcing the axle housing/knuckle balls, preventing bending, etc.

For the knuckle/trunion bearings, I definitely recommend the 25mm upgrade if it is within budget, as they are beefier in size, as well as being chromoly material.

As far as the spindles, factory spindles will work just fine, as they do not see much abuse. There is not really an added benefit to having chromoly there. However, if you are needing new spindles anyways, then the upgrade might be a route you would want to go.

For aligning the knuckle, if you put the same amount of shims on the top and bottom of the knuckle, that will get you very close to where you need to be. To get them aligned correctly, you will need to use the tool.

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2020, 02:55:18 PM »
I would go with diff armor and Marlins knuckle ball gussets https://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/front-axle-parts/front-axle-armor/heavy-duty-knuckle-gusset-kit and skip the main truss. I have  never used one and a lot of people say you are more likely to bend the axle welding it on. These axles generally bend from the perches out .

Stock spindles are fine.

Marlins 25mm steering is beef. I wish I had them and will get them eventually.

Marlins inner axle seals

RCV shafts are a must have.

80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

Red October [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 80
  • Male Posts: 11
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Acquiring Parts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2020, 09:45:32 PM »
 :thumbs: Thanks for the replies fellas! I appreciate the insight, since i don't really have any yet. I'm the kinda guy who likes a plan to get me started, even if it falls apart before I actually get any where. This at least gives me a few things to work on, just to get started :turtle3:
...If ya always do what ya always done, Ya always gonna get what ya always got...