Author Topic: 1982 Toyota SR5 4WD  (Read 5271 times)

RN48

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
1982 Toyota SR5 4WD
« on: Jan 22, 2020, 03:12:28 PM »
A few years ago I saw an ‘82 Toyota 4WD sitting and I asked the owner about it. He said he bought it new and wanted to restore it one day. He ended up parking it because it wouldnt run above idle and the 4WD was out. I told him I would be interested if he ever sold it as I was thinking about a Toyota 4WD for my kids to learn to wrench and drive on. But, it didn’t sound very likely.

Fast forward I get a call out of the blue that he is ready to sell. We make a deal and drag it home.

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 1982 Toyota SR5 4WD
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:35:38 PM »
 :welcome:  2  the best learning device ever invented.  You'll have lots of fun family time with your new-to-you Toyota.   :turtle3:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

RN48 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:41:04 PM »
Thanks.  We're going to bring it back to life. I've been teaching them how to baseline the truck.  It needs a lot. Started with new wipers, new sidemarkers and a new passenger mirror so far. Then started with the fuel system, drained the tank, dropped it, cleaned it out, and replaced the tank strainer. New fuel filter installed and just finished the carburetor rebuild tonight with carb harness repair and emission computer inspection. Pulled the plugs and the valve cover and plan on adjusting the valves and bead blasting the valve cover next. Pleasantly surprised to see how clean it was inside the engine. Ordered some BFG K02's in a 30x9.50R15 for the stock chrome wheels but waiting to have installed while the kids bring the chrome back to life.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3712
  • Male Posts: 2,847
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2020, 05:18:04 AM »
 :welcome: to  :turtlehead:
Time to go wheelin!

RN48 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2020, 06:30:06 AM »
Thanks. The wife wants them to learn on a pretty stock truck so that's the goal to get it up, running, and reliable.

RN48 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2020, 04:08:16 PM »
It came pretty complete.  It's missing the air cleaner gaskets, the outer exhaust manifold cover, the drivers rear mudflap, drivers rear bumpstop, and the dash is cut for the radio. Also, curious if there are any aftermarket rubber fender fillers available anywhere?
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2020, 07:44:49 AM by RN48 »

RN48 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2020, 07:59:33 PM »
Where do most of y'all get your replacement or missing parts from?

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3712
  • Male Posts: 2,847
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2020, 04:46:15 AM »
Ebay and craigslist
Time to go wheelin!

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16415
  • Male Posts: 1,017
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2020, 07:29:22 AM »
car-part.com

I go to napa autoparts quite a bit and im on a first name basis with them.

RUGER :usa: :beer: :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2020, 11:05:29 AM »

Buy parts trucks.
Junk yards.
Toyota dealer.
Other Toyota guys.
https://22reperformance.com/
https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/
https://www.marlincrawler.com/
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

toe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -60
  • Male Posts: 1,693
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2020, 04:46:38 AM »
 :welcome:
Me

RN48 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2020, 09:36:13 PM »
So, just a little update.  After going through the fuel system, plugs, carb rebuild, valve adjustment, front axle rebuild, getting the turns and hazards working, new side mirrors, front axle rebuild, corner lights, draglink, battery, liquid electrical tape to repair some cracked wires and a lot of the hot battery cable that was cut, drain and refill of the fan clutch with 10,000 CST, fresh coolant, all new vacuum hoses, HAC valve addition, new window crank, lubing window channels, adding the seatbelt relay for the kids, tuning the engine, new clutch master cylinder, bled brake and clutch system, stuff I can't remember and working on seat tracks she went for her maiden voyage yesterday. Just in the neighborhood taking kids one at a time they had a great time! I haven't driven one of these in so long I forgot how fun they were to drive.  Came back and checked everything and the harmonic balancer was slinging some oil best I could tell because the whole timing cover is gummed up like its leaking, the odometer is stuck, and I'm guessing it has a 195 degree thermostat by the temp needle position so I ordered a 180 to try. The front transfer case output bearing is rough and I had to top off the case with all of this as well. So, making some good progress with the whole family helping. Learning some good things on this board.  So, thanks everybody!

RN48 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2020, 08:44:20 PM »
Ended up having what sounded like rocks churning with the front hubs locked.  Turned out to be the transfer case.  Bought a Marlin rebuild kit and rebuilt it.  The shift interlock pin was missing and a buggered up Allen bolt.  Had to buy 4 new snap rings for the shafts as they didn't maintain their shape on removal.  Kit worked great and transfer case feels like brand new now with no noise!

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,219
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2020, 04:36:56 AM »
Hey RN48....

Wow... I don't recall reading about a project Toyota being resurrected so quickly!!  :burnout:

It appears you know your way around a vehicle.  :biggthumpup:

Going through all those repairs and replacements is almost the ultimate in getting to know what that vehicle is all about.

One of the trade-offs to owning a Toyota is you don't get much practice at repairs, they're too reliable.  BUT... when you find a project like yours you get the benefit of a big learning curve! :thumbs:

I commend and appreciate anyone wanting to preserve these classic iconic pickups, and can do the work themselves.  :thumbs:

Awesome job!!  :beerchug:

Keep us posted.

Gnarls.  :D
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2020, 04:44:17 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Speed

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Male Posts: 127
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2020, 02:36:40 PM »
   If I can't find the new stuff HERE,I shop Rock Auto Parts.Brand name parts,low prices,easy site to shop on.
They ship fast too.
 I just sold my '82,it wasn't an SR5 though. Congrats on your find-it's an easy truck to love.
"HMMmmmm--What can I make outta that??"

"Bash On Regardless"

RN48 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2020, 06:53:51 PM »
Thanks guys!  Truck is just pure fun.  Everything I fix is just making it better and restoring it functionally to original. 

Brakes are doing something weird only when it is humid out.  They get real touchy and then it goes back to normal.  Not sure what's going on exactly.  Might have a sticky caliper or brake drum system.

I'd like to dive into the engine before long.  I want to find an economical parts source to rebuild without substandard parts.

The rear diff is loose and I think it's the spider gears.  The tranny is slightly noisy so it'll be on the list.

Picked up a retro topper off of an 86.  I don't think it will quite fit due to the cab angle so thinking about reengineering it.

RN48 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2021, 11:11:29 AM »
The fan blower relay only works on medium and high but nothing on low.  Could this be the blower relay? Seems like I ran across info on using a 2nd gen blower relay at some point but don't recall the details. Ordered one for mine from the parts store but it's round and mine is square with a ground.  Any suggestions?

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 388
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2021, 01:10:23 PM »
Thanks guys!  Truck is just pure fun.  Everything I fix is just making it better and restoring it functionally to original. 

Brakes are doing something weird only when it is humid out.  They get real touchy and then it goes back to normal.  Not sure what's going on exactly.  Might have a sticky caliper or brake drum system.

I'd like to dive into the engine before long.  I want to find an economical parts source to rebuild without substandard parts.

The rear diff is loose and I think it's the spider gears.  The tranny is slightly noisy so it'll be on the list.

Picked up a retro topper off of an 86.  I don't think it will quite fit due to the cab angle so thinking about reengineering it.

What do you mean by touchy brakes? Rear drum brakes will "self-actuate" at times, so you may want to start there.

There could be a number of reasons for looseness in the rear diff. You'll probably need to pull it to determine what the cause is.

As to the fan blower, it's either going to be the switch or resistor block. The 1st gen does not have a high relay.

RN48 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2021, 06:45:31 PM »
Touchy as when it is wet or humid out and the truck is cold it will lock up with barely touching the brake pedal.

I read somewhere that pulling the resistor block will show if it's burned out.

Will have to get back to the issues after addressing it dying at idle like the key is off.  I'm suspicious the idle solenoid took a dump.

Starter was acting up this week, not fully engaging at first when cold.  Pulled it to see if the gear was stuck but it was fine it appeared.  Changed out the battery cables as some rodent had chewed on them before I got it and I used liquid electric tape to seal it for the time being.  Truck starter definitely turns faster now.  Will have to wait and see on a few cold mornings if anything is improved.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2021, 10:06:49 PM »
Sounds like the rear brakes aren't self-adjusting.

You get a big shoe to drum gap.    When the shoes finally hit the drum when pressing the brakes, they tend to immediately jam up, locking the brakes.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2021, 11:43:11 PM »
Touchy as when it is wet or humid out and the truck is cold it will lock up with barely touching the brake pedal.

I read somewhere that pulling the resistor block will show if it's burned out.

Will have to get back to the issues after addressing it dying at idle like the key is off.  I'm suspicious the idle solenoid took a dump.

Starter was acting up this week, not fully engaging at first when cold.  Pulled it to see if the gear was stuck but it was fine it appeared.  Changed out the battery cables as some rodent had chewed on them before I got it and I used liquid electric tape to seal it for the time being.  Truck starter definitely turns faster now.  Will have to wait and see on a few cold mornings if anything is improved.

It still would help to figure out if the front or rear brakes are locking, or both. If they are all locking with light pedal application, it could be in the vacuum booster, but that's not a common issue.

If you pull the resistor block, you may be able to see an open segment, similar to looking at a light bulb. Otherwise, you would want to test it with an ohmmeter.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2021, 02:16:05 AM »
   If I can't find the new stuff HERE,I shop Rock Auto Parts.Brand name parts,low prices,easy site to shop on.
They ship fast too.
 I just sold my '82,it wasn't an SR5 though. Congrats on your find-it's an easy truck to love.

I don't believe Toyota made or designated a 1982 pickup "SR5".  The SR5 badge, (Sport Rally 5-Speed) option package, came out in the 1984 pickup.

Gnarl.s
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2021, 02:25:44 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2021, 01:53:22 PM »
I don't believe Toyota made or designated a 1982 pickup "SR5".  The SR5 badge, (Sport Rally 5-Speed) option package, came out in the 1984 pickup.

Gnarl.s

I'm not sure what you are basing that on. It seems like pretty common knowledge that there were first gen pickups with the SR5 designation. They included a 5-speed as well as an extra gauge pod in the lower center dash.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2021, 04:12:23 PM »
I'm not sure what you are basing that on. It seems like pretty common knowledge that there were first gen pickups with the SR5 designation. They included a 5-speed as well as an extra gauge pod in the lower center dash.

Obviously if you own a 1972 Toyota pickup with an SR5 package and 5 speed, then this is wrong.

Second generation (N20; 1972)
Second generation (N20)
1974 Toyota Hilux, US model (yellow), front left.jpg
Overview
Production   May 1972 – July 1978
Assembly   Japan: Hamura, Tokyo (Hino)
Philippines: Parañaque (Delta Motors Corporation)
Designer   Masao Morimoto[2]
Body and chassis
Body style   2-door truck
Layout   Front-engine, rear-wheel-drive
Powertrain
Engine   
1.6 L 12R I4 (RN20/25)
2.0 L 18R I4 (RN22/27)
2.2 L 20R I4
Transmission   
3-speed automatic
4-speed manual
5-speed manual
Dimensions
Wheelbase   
2,580 mm (101.6 in) (N20)
2,795 mm (110.0 in) (N25)
Length   
4,275 mm (168.3 in) (N20/22)
4,680 mm (184.3 in) (N25/27)
Width   1,580 mm (62.2 in)
In May 1972,[4] the 1973 model year Hilux was introduced, designated the RN20. Nicknamed the "RokeHi" (ロケハイ), a portmanteau of "Rocket Hilux", it has a more comfortable interior along with exterior updates. A 2.25 m (7.4 ft) "long bed" was an option for the first time in North American markets, although such a version had been available worldwide since April 1969.[4] This received the "RN25" chassis code.[7] The 2.0 litre 18R engine was available in Japan as well, with a three-speed automatic transmission available as an option. The 2.0-litre automatic model managed a "gentle" 136.1 km/h (84.6 mph) top speed in a period road test conducted in South Africa, in spite of a claimed 89 kW (121 PS; 119 hp).[8]

The Hilux was radically redesigned in 1975 to be larger and with increased standard equipment
. In North America, the new version also meant the introduction of the considerably larger (2.2 L) 20R engine and the SR5 upscale trim package. A five-speed manual transmission became optional. In North America, the Hilux name was fully phased out in favour of "Truck" by that year, having been dropped from brochures and advertising campaigns, starting in 1973. Some North American motor-coach manufacturers began building Toyota motor-homes from the Hilux.

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2021, 08:05:59 AM »

Obviously if you own a 1972 Toyota pickup with an SR5 package and 5 speed, then this is wrong.

:headscratch: This thread as well as the picture I posted of my truck is about the 1982 model, which came with SR5 badging and optional equipment.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2021, 08:58:21 AM »
OH CRAP!!  I see where I messed up. I read 1st gen and was thinking 72 not 82. Sorry my mistake.

Can I blame it on serious sleep deprivation??
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2021, 10:26:30 AM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2021, 05:56:54 PM »
:headscratch: This thread as well as the picture I posted of my truck is about the 1982 model, which came with SR5 badging and optional equipment.

Wow... that is a nice pickup!!!

Gnarls.

RN48 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2021, 09:50:55 PM »
We cleaned and backed off the rear drums. Relubed the adjuster. Made for a softer brake pedal but still locks up the same and it is definitely the rear axle.  I need to go back and check everything because I don't think it is self adjusting.  I'm also wondering if the bar from the LSPV and the chassis is bent.

Mine says SR5 4 Wheel Drive on the tailgate.

Starter is still barely hanging up from time to time since the new battery cables but much better.  I'd like to see how the factory routed the positive battery cable as mine didn't come with it and I want to make sure it doesn't accidentally short.

RN48 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2021, 09:53:23 PM »
I also found that my added ground wire to the idle solenoid broke at the ring connector.  So, I decided to remove it all together and it works great now! 

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2021, 01:25:17 PM »
We cleaned and backed off the rear drums. Relubed the adjuster. Made for a softer brake pedal but still locks up the same and it is definitely the rear axle.  I need to go back and check everything because I don't think it is self adjusting.  I'm also wondering if the bar from the LSPV and the chassis is bent.

Mine says SR5 4 Wheel Drive on the tailgate.

Starter is still barely hanging up from time to time since the new battery cables but much better.  I'd like to see how the factory routed the positive battery cable as mine didn't come with it and I want to make sure it doesn't accidentally short.

LSPV adjustment could be affecting this. When you cleaned the rear brakes, did you notice if the axles seals were leaking? If so, the shoes would be contaminated and need to be replaced. I would also carefully look at all the drum brake hardware to be sure it is installed correctly. It's easy to mess up, even when you are looking at the factory service manual.