Author Topic: 224,749 mile 85 4Runner I got free  (Read 3984 times)

fasterspider

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
224,749 mile 85 4Runner I got free
« on: Jan 17, 2020, 01:27:13 PM »
The 22RE engine has not run in 6 years minimum and ran poorly when parked, needs a full rebuild
The front axle has been rebuilt.
Transmission and transfer case are good.
Rear axle does not leak anywhere.
Body is fairly straight and has NO RUST.
That home made front bumper has to go, it is booger welded and looks like it is held together with used bubble gum. Looks like basura to it is going away.
Interior has been mutilated by first thieves who tried to steal the passenger seat without unbolting all 4 and ruined the seat and tracks, I mean ruined.
Headliner on the removable top is gone but, both back seats are still there and functional.
Front seats rugs are gone and rear seat rugs should be gone, way back rug should also go away.
Fiberglass fenders are groovy, I like them a lot but, this is going to be a daily driver and massive fenders are not required.

The interior was the dirtiest mess I have ever seen in a car that was not in a junk yard, it filled my vacuum cleaner basin with all kinds of dirt and a bucket with all kinds of trashy debris.
Anyway, I have 2nd gen 4Runner front seats I may adapt into my 85 if I can get my hands on a passenger seat track.
The console is busted and someone stole the tipity gauge from the dash I can actually replace and may down the road.
The gas tank has to come out and either be cleaned and lined or replaced.
The engine is the easy part, I can rebuild a 22-RE with my eyes closed.
Anyway, free is never really free and I have a ton of work ahead of me but, the profit in the end should be enough to make me smile.
fasterspider, now older and slower.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 224,749 mile 85 4Runner I got free
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2020, 01:49:31 PM »
Tagging along
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2020, 06:31:30 PM »
Free is rarely free, but always loads of entertainment.  We are awaiting your next move.   :_order:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2020, 02:46:13 AM »

... this is going to be a daily driver and … I have a ton of work ahead of me but, the profit in the end should be enough to make me smile.

fasterspider,

Wow…. Rare find.  Over the past 14 years I’ve posted photos I’ve taken on the freeway of early Toy trucks being towed to Mexico and beyond.  I don’t recall seeing an early 4Runner, so I suspect these early class of 4Runners are becoming very rare.

I commend and admire anyone who has the desire, skills, and resources to resurrect an early Toyota 4x4 from a sad and pitiful end to its legendary life.  Bringing back to life and keeping the vehicle a classic on-highway only driver would be my hope.  Those who take a nice early Toyota 4x4 and turn it into a thrasher basher should rethink their options. 

Although we may never see a 1985 Toyota 4Runner on the red carpet at a Barrett-Jackson auction, these vehicles are and will remain a legendary classic forever in the realm of automotive history.

The restoration of these vehicles would not be possible without those remarkably dedicated niche companies and suppliers out there who have, over many years, provided the parts, pieces, and innovation of new designs to keep our vehicles running.  The list is too long to mention here, but of course there are a few left who deserve an Automotive Medal of Honor…. Marlin Crawler, 22RE Performance, LC Engineering, the late engnbldr, and DOA, to name just a few.  :best:

Gnarls.   :thumbs:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2020, 12:02:45 PM »
It is a long term project for me to keep it as mostly on road but, she is a Toyota 4x4 and will have at least one locker.

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2020, 11:04:03 AM »
Yesterday I put 2nd gen runner seats in up front with the driver side fitting perfectly but, the passenger track is too long to utilize all 4 bolt holes because one does not exist and the other has steel floor covering the threads I will have to drill through to get at.

The front seats are from two different year 2nd gen runners with same color materials so you have to look close to see they do not match.
The back seats were unbolted and flopping around the back so I bolted them in too.
Today I am going to apply the drop drag link I have had sitting on the shelf since I put cross over steering in my Hilux. Someone put lift in this runner without modifying the steering so it doesn't work very well and I have parts I might as well use. I am also going to drop the fuel tank today, it needs to be replaced.
Don't know what else I will get into just yet but, the engine is coming out soon too because a quarter million miles.

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2020, 03:41:31 PM »
The gas tank let me down fellas, it is very ugly with a ton of rust and will be replaced with a new tank, fuel pump assembly and fuel level sender.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2020, 04:51:05 PM »
Rather than drill holes thru the floor for the seat, make small offset brackets that bolt to floor, then bolt seat to brackets.

Hole thru floor won't be as strong at the hole location because it's not designed for load. (compared to original threaded hole)
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2020, 05:27:08 PM »
Rather than drill holes thru the floor for the seat, make small offset brackets that bolt to floor, then bolt seat to brackets.

Hole thru floor won't be as strong at the hole location because it's not designed for load. (compared to original threaded hole)
There is welded on threads on the underside with no hole to screw the threads through. I will not be using unsupported floor for the seat bolt.
It is ready to be used and will be temporarily until I can get my hands on the 1st gen seat tracks I have my eyes on.

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2020, 11:13:27 AM »
After 7 months I can finally start working on my 4Runner because the lien sale came through and I officially own the vehicle.
A 22-RE rebuild along with a full brake system rebuild then a suspension tune up will get her moving. After she can move under her own power, I can worry about how she looks.

calux

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 93
  • Member since Aug '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 13, 2020, 12:21:29 PM »
following this for sure, good luck with build

DutchVDub

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 137
  • Member since Sep '20
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 23, 2020, 07:45:58 AM »
Thats the perfect year 4Runner for some Ultra4 stock class.  Factory 22RE and solid front axle.  I'd like to find one of those myself, nice score.