Author Topic: OG here! Whats up?  (Read 5643 times)

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
OG here! Whats up?
« on: Jan 12, 2020, 08:39:49 PM »
OG here!  Been a long time since I been here.  Things look to have slowed down on the forum.  Alot of new names.  :thumbs:  Hopefully, they are all full of important Toyota wisdom they are willing to share? 

I have had to take a step back from electronic devices for a while.  NO, I did not get in trouble with anything.   :rofl2:  I needed to spend some time with family more, and electronics less.  Kids growing up too fast!!!  Two in College, (well one for sure, the second not sure if going back)  :dunno: and a beautiful daughter who is struggling with Extreme Anxiety, and Depression.  And a wife who is addicted to social media!!  :help: 

My poor Toyota has been neglected, but still starts and runs good and strong.  But living near/on the coast, is taking its toll with the cab, with rust.   :tantrum:  My old BFG's that I purchased from one of the original OG, Kyota, are nearly gone!  I mean almost drag slicks gone!   

I hope to be back on here more.  At least once in a while!

Your Cheesy Moderator, Cheesemaker!!   :shades:

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Re: OG here! Whats up?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2020, 08:43:00 PM »
yes the forum has slowed down, same as pirate and a few others,
anyhow welcome back, I kinda disappeared for the last 5 years as well

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,222
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2020, 03:46:05 AM »
...  I needed to spend some time with family more, and electronics less.

I hope to be back on here more.  At least once in a while!

Hey Cheese….

I understand your situation.  For me, family and my health comes before anything to do with toys, wheels, and social media.

I believe cell phones and social media can become an OCD quickly and can be just as addictive as drugs or gambling.

If I had a daughter, my focus would be on her total and complete mental and physical health.  I believe diet is a major factor in almost all health issues.

Unfortunately, is seems easy to spend WAY too much time on sites like this.

Social media today has good, bad, and very ugly.

Stay focused on your family.  You can always pop on here for a few minutes to get a little personal distraction and temporary escape from your reality.

Living on the coast comes with some corrosive air.  Of course, keeping a vehicle garaged or covered to help reduce moisture or condensation and help to prevent rust.  Bald tires…..  No Bueno!

All the best to you and your family. :biggthumpup:

Gnarls. :gap:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2020, 07:17:23 AM »
Hey Cheese….

I understand your situation.  For me, family and my health comes before anything to do with toys, wheels, and social media.

I believe cell phones and social media can become an OCD quickly and can be just as addictive as drugs or gambling.

If I had a daughter, my focus would be on her total and complete mental and physical health.  I believe diet is a major factor in almost all health issues.

Unfortunately, is seems easy to spend WAY too much time on sites like this.

Social media today has good, bad, and very ugly.

Stay focused on your family.  You can always pop on here for a few minutes to get a little personal distraction and temporary escape from your reality.

Living on the coast comes with some corrosive air.  Of course, keeping a vehicle garaged or covered to help reduce moisture or condensation and help to prevent rust.  Bald tires…..  No Bueno!

All the best to you and your family. :biggthumpup:

Gnarls. :gap:

Thanks Gnarls!  I have a very small garage, and a shop.  I would park my truck in the shop, but its out back, and always full with stuff.  My RV storage shed is full too!   :rofl2:  But its has a rather large pile of Yota parts that I was given for free.  Which I could make some nickels if I were to sort it all out, and weed out the stuff I don't need.  But I have a back up car, 2000 Ford Fuckus (Focus) ZK3, which is my GoCart, or Fuckus I call it.  Depends on the mood I am at when driving it!  :driving:

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

RUGER

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16463
  • Male Posts: 1,017
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2020, 10:17:58 AM »
cheesemaker,

I just got back into marlin a few months ago after many many years.

i miss kyota. good dude fer sure.

im still got bigmikes pre kevlar mtrs on my rig, well 3 of the 4.

RUGER :usa: :beer: :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2020, 01:55:58 PM »
Cheesy! :smooch:

I come and go as well - a lot of the OG's have taken to the trails, or submitted to life's demands :yesnod: Good to see you back!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2020, 02:37:37 PM »
 :welcome:  back Cheesy, take care of your family and the wheelin' will come.  This coastal air does do nasties to our rigs.   :therethere:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2020, 09:25:00 AM »
Salt air? Try Kauai...(And this is the only forum I still love)
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2020, 04:22:32 AM »
Salt air? Try Kauai...(And this is the only forum I still love)

I've been to Kauai twice and it is THE best salt air I've ever had the pleasure to breathe!!  :beerchug:

Gnarls.  :gap:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

KauriJ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 125
  • Female Posts: 32
  • Member since Oct '17
    • View Profile
    • Kauri's vacation photos
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:45:22 AM »
I have had to take a step back from electronic devices for a while.  NO, I did not get in trouble with anything.   :rofl2:  I needed to spend some time with family more, and electronics less.  Kids growing up too fast!!!  Two in College, (well one for sure, the second not sure if going back)  :dunno: and a beautiful daughter who is struggling with Extreme Anxiety, and Depression.  And a wife who is addicted to social media!!  :help: 

Maybe your daughter needs a Toyota 4x4 of her own, or perhaps she can help you with yours? I'm actually being serious. Speaking from personal experience, having a project vehicle to take exploring, repair, and modify has been a big confidence builder for me, and I do think that might help your daughter with her anxiety and depression. If she isn't interested in cars, perhaps there is another hobby she could find to enjoy, e.g. mountain biking, photography, etc.? (FWIW, I teach mathematics, and I often spend as much time counseling students as I do answering homework questions. I've found one of the best ways to help students through their anxiety and depression is to remind them to take time for a break from their studies, to pursue things they enjoy and are good at.)

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2020, 07:10:07 AM »
Maybe your daughter needs a Toyota 4x4 of her own, or perhaps she can help you with yours? I'm actually being serious. Speaking from personal experience, having a project vehicle to take exploring, repair, and modify has been a big confidence builder for me, and I do think that might help your daughter with her anxiety and depression. If she isn't interested in cars, perhaps there is another hobby she could find to enjoy, e.g. mountain biking, photography, etc.? (FWIW, I teach mathematics, and I often spend as much time counseling students as I do answering homework questions. I've found one of the best ways to help students through their anxiety and depression is to remind them to take time for a break from their studies, to pursue things they enjoy and are good at.)

Thank you, we are learning about her anxiety and depression right beside her.  She is very talented at singing and art.  We have several painted canvas hanging around hour house.  She is getting better at dealing with it.  But she still has days she just can't deal. 

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2020, 04:08:38 AM »
Thank you, we are learning about her anxiety and depression right beside her.  She is very talented at singing and art.  We have several painted canvas hanging around hour house.  She is getting better at dealing with it.  But she still has days she just can't deal. 

Hi Cheesemaker,

At the risk of being overly inquisitive...

I'm guessing the daughter your are referring to is in her 20s?  :dunno:

Also, I assume professional medical treatment is ongoing.  :dunno:

I'm curious if her DIET has been seriously discussed by any medical professional?

Some of you probably know I'm a healthy diet advocate and I am very much against most pharmaceutical drug treatment for many illnesses and health related issues.

I'm not advocating anything, I do lots of research for my own family health issues and I'm just curious what you have experienced and learned.

If you want to discuss further off-line, please PM me.

Thank you.

Gnarls.

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:19:31 AM »
Hi Cheesemaker,

At the risk of being overly inquisitive...

I'm guessing the daughter your are referring to is in her 20s?  :dunno:

Also, I assume professional medical treatment is ongoing.  :dunno:

I'm curious if her DIET has been seriously discussed by any medical professional?

Some of you probably know I'm a healthy diet advocate and I am very much against most pharmaceutical drug treatment for many illnesses and health related issues.

I'm not advocating anything, I do lots of research for my own family health issues and I'm just curious what you have experienced and learned.

If you want to discuss further off-line, please PM me.

Thank you.

Gnarls.

Gnarls, she is 15, and her diet is fine.  She is an eater, but not junk food.  She loves home cooked meals.  Yes we are seeing doctors about this.  She has Doctors at OHSU in Portland, OR.  They have been wonderful.  The only meds she is on is birth control.  For some reason, when she has her monthly, it gets her so sick to her stomach, she can't keep anything down.  And then we end up in the ER, to get her rehydrated.  She tried anti-anxiety meds once, but that gave her suicidal thoughts, and we flushed those!!!  We are learning about it, right beside her.  After learning alot about it, I have some anxiety.  Over thinkers, can't sleep because your brain won't shutdown, and so on.   In the 7th grade, she couldn't even get out of bed to go to school.  But now, in the 9th grade she is doing better, learning the signs as it starts to happen.  But there are some days that she just cannot function. 

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2020, 01:11:23 PM »
Hi there Cheesey!!  :wave:
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2020, 09:10:14 PM »
What tire size are you running cheesy?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2020, 07:32:08 AM »
What tire size are you running cheesy?

I am still rocking the almost bald 31's BFG's that I bought from Kyota years ago.  I have been looking for new tires, and I have been looking at some Patriots on Newegg.com.  I wish I was rolling on 35's, but life seems to get in the way. 

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 534
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2020, 07:40:26 PM »
But I have a back up car, 2000 Ford Fuckus (Focus) ZK3, which is my GoCart, or Fuckus I call it.  :driving:

Focus = Flock off 'cause you're stupid. Kinda goes well with all the FORD sayings.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 22, 2020, 08:08:52 PM »

Focus = Flock off 'cause you're stupid. Kinda goes well with all the FORD sayings.

I am not a Ford fan by any means, but I do love the Focus.  Its cheap and fun to drive!!!   I have 2 of them now, mine is a 2001 ZX3, 2.0 DOHC 5 speed, and sons is a 2003 wagon 2.0 DOHC auto, and I got both for $1500!!  So, if anything goes bad, I am not out alot of money.  You can't get any Toyota car for this price.   

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 23, 2020, 08:04:48 PM »
I got my Toyota Echo for $1200 ;)

But it was probably a special case. I personally hate everything Ford made except the F250 and up trucks. (I love those) But maybe I'm biased by knowing so many people who had Ford F150s and sedans with one or more bad transmissions.

Before you jump all over me, I know there is a vehicle for everyone. If you have a Ford Focus or Chevy Sail and love it, more power to you :gap:

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #19 on: Mar 24, 2020, 02:29:39 AM »
Anecdotal information is interesting, however there are more substantiated facts of Ford and reliability.

Of course, it’s possible that any data can be skewed, omitted, and have correlation deviation.... otherwise what I call marketing hype.

For reliability rating based on the cost, frequency, and severity of actual repairs of Ford product is above average.

https://repairpal.com/reliability/ford

Ford F series F-150 actually has a better rating than other trucks across the board.

https://repairpal.com/reliability/ford/f-150

One of my door neighbors is dedicated Ford truck guy, and other neighbor is dedicated Chevy truck guy.  I’m a dedicated Toyota truck guy, but my old 1968 Chevy ½ Ton Longbed was an awesome pickup!!  :blah:

My Toyota Tundra 4x4 was one of the very best daily drivers and hiqhway vehicles I've ever owned.  I felt more safe on the road in that truck than in any other vehicle I've owned.

I’ve never owned a Ford, so I don’t have any actual experience with one.  :shake:

As far as best selling pickups….

In 2019, the Ford F-Series sold 662,574 units according to website GoodCarBadCar.net, while the ever-popular Dodge Ram sold 461,115. The Chevrolet Silverado has proven the third most popular with 412,258 vehicles sold.

If the Ford F-Series pickups were a bad choice, why does it remain the best seller?  :dunno:

By the way the Ford F-250 doesn't do good in the raings:   https://repairpal.com/reliability/ford/f-250+super+duty  :thumbdown:

Gnarls.  :gap:

« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2020, 02:37:10 AM by Gnarly4X »

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #20 on: Mar 24, 2020, 04:15:34 AM »
How many GMC trucks?

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 24, 2020, 07:29:43 PM »
Naw, don't have anything against a Focus really, I have a Mazdaspeed3, and had a Mazda 3 before that, basically the same thing. Both are fun cars.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 24, 2020, 07:45:32 PM »

Of course, it’s possible that any data can be skewed, omitted, and have correlation deviation.... otherwise what I call marketing hype.

In some cases, even when substantiated data is offered up, loyalty will cloud peoples vision.

I've had many manufacturer's vehicles. If I HAD to make a choice between Chevy and Ford I would choose a Ford. Manufacturers I've had good experiences with are, of course Toyota, Mazda and ford. Manufacturers I've had nothing but headaches with are Datsun/Nissan, Chevy and Dodge/Chrysler.  I've had a LOT of VW boxer powered Vehicles, in which case good or bad didn't matter, that was pure addiction. BMW has been a mix of good and bad.

Loyalty to a manufacturer is like a religion, Like politics, like sports, etc..

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 25, 2020, 07:28:53 PM »
Right now, I am not being picky on what I drive.  I still drive the hell out of my 87 Hilux.  But it just doesn't have that ZOOM ZOOM as the Focus does.  It was cheap, and the guy I bought it from has owned it since almost new, and he's a great friend. 

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 25, 2020, 08:55:25 PM »
"ZOOM ZOOM" is a Mazda thing guy.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #25 on: Mar 26, 2020, 01:48:33 AM »
PUTT PUTT is a Toyota thing.

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1254
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 26, 2020, 11:38:00 AM »
I don't post here anymore cause I don't really have anything to contribute but I still visit a couple times a week to keep up on peoples build threads. I still enjoy watching the builds.

I have a 3rd gen 4unner but its not a rock crawler and I am more active on T4R.org.

Also, I have building my Nova the last couple years as well.

Full build is on my youtube channel along with some 3rd gen 4Runner content.

https://www.youtube.com/billyfargon

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 26, 2020, 05:09:06 PM »
Chim, you always had the nicest built 4Runners.

I love some old Chevy's!  Novas, El Caminos, and Chevelles are my favorites.   I miss a good healthy V8.  The DOHC 2.0 in the Focus will help keep me from getting tickets.  Well, I can still get tickets, but old El Camino spent alot of time in triple digits. 

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 26, 2020, 07:39:34 PM »
That 2.0 won't keep you from getting tickets cheese, it's all you man.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 19, 2020, 07:37:37 PM »
Are those level8 bully pros?  Did they come on it or did you buy em?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!