Author Topic: W56B does not shift smoothly  (Read 1997 times)

Someday

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Member since Mar '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
W56B does not shift smoothly
« on: Dec 18, 2019, 04:41:32 AM »
Please help!

My Toyota:
Toyota 4Runner 1988 SR5 22RE W56B transmission, 33" tires, stock height in the front, rear 1" higher than the front after Zuk mod, 130000 miles on the clock.
It is our holiday vehicle, mild off road every summer, nothing hard, we don not tow any trailer with it.
Our Toyota runs 3000 miles per summer (mostly highway), stays in the garage the rest of the year.
I am the second owner, the first one did all the maintenance in a Toyota dealership, I have all records, it looks like he took care of the 4R, it is in excellent shape for its age, I do not know if the previous owner used to tow a trailer/loads with the truck.

Note 1:
I have been driving manual transmission cars/trucks for decades, I do not have experience with automatic transmissions, in case you wonder.

Problem:
The manual transmission does not shift smoothly.
There is some resistance (it grinds if I am not careful) when I shift from 1st to 2nd, and sometimes happens from 4th to 5th.
The clutch feels spongy.

Note 2:
I started to notice the problem a few hundred miles after installing the Zuk mod.

What I did until now:
I tried shifting with the rpm under 800 from 1st to 2nd, sometimes works.
I tried double clutch, sometimes works.
First I replaced the manual transmission oil with AmsOil synthetic Manual Transmission SAE 75W-90 API GL-4. After a while, same problems.
After that I found a small leak/drop in the master clutch cylinder. I replaced it, and the slave cylinder also from MC. After replacing the fluid with another DOT 3 and bleeding the system, same problems.
Later, I found out the gear stick seat was disintegrated. I replaced with MC heavy duty seat, and I also installed the MC heavy duty nylon shift lever bushing (socket). Same problems.

Please, help me to solve this problem.
Thank you.

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
Re: W56B does not shift smoothly
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2020, 02:11:20 PM »
Check your free pedal adjustment from the pedal to the master.  If that is not set correct you will not get a full throw out the slave.  If the free pedal is set too far back, the plunger starts part of the way through the throw inside the master and because not as much distance is there with the movement of the plunger not enough fluid gets pushed to the slave.  Likewise if the free pedal is too far forward than there is not enough room for your pedal to travel forward to get the proper amount of fluid pushed to the slave cylinder.  So review a FSM for the correct spec of free pedal adjustment on your vehicle.
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2020, 03:10:54 PM »
What is the "zuk mod"
hold this. . .

Someday [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2020, 04:38:09 AM »
Check your free pedal adjustment from the pedal to the master.  If that is not set correct you will not get a full throw out the slave.  If the free pedal is set too far back, the plunger starts part of the way through the throw inside the master and because not as much distance is there with the movement of the plunger not enough fluid gets pushed to the slave.  Likewise if the free pedal is too far forward than there is not enough room for your pedal to travel forward to get the proper amount of fluid pushed to the slave cylinder.  So review a FSM for the correct spec of free pedal adjustment on your vehicle.

I'm going to try it and report back.
Thank you!

Someday [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2020, 04:39:30 AM »
What is the "zuk mod"

Zuk mod, some people like it, other hate it.

This:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f129/zuk-mod-250033/

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2020, 10:27:59 AM »
Um. Okay. How the flopp is that relevant to a trans issue.......

If your hydraulics are proper and the fluid is proper, you have synchro issues.
hold this. . .

Someday [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2020, 10:00:13 AM »
Um. Okay. How the flopp is that relevant to a trans issue.......
I wanted to give as much as info as possible for a proper diagnose.

I did adjusted the master cylinder push rod play. It has to be between 1.0mm and 5.0mm. It's 3.0mm, so that's good.
My 4R clutch pedal height's 150mm from the carpet. The FSM says 155.5mm from the asphalt sheet, and 157.5mm from the floor panel. It should be, at least, 5mm higher. Could be the problem, I hope. I'm going to adjust it properly and report back.
Thank you very much for your help.

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,222
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2020, 02:53:30 AM »

I don't know what Marlin would say or what he uses for synchros (I'm curious).  BUT... back when I had my local tranny shop rebuild my W56 5-speed, they told me that they only install TOYOTA FACTORY SYNCHROS.  The reason was because the aftermarket synchros were or are made of an alloy that does NOT work properly.  Something to do with co-efficient of friction, as I recall.

Gnarls.  :gap:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Jaymz11

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 09:43:14 AM »
he is correct