Author Topic: Rubber boots  (Read 5024 times)

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
Rubber boots
« on: Dec 07, 2019, 11:29:22 AM »
Who uses them?  What kind?

I bought some from Duluth Trading. They failed in less than a year.  Seams split and water leaked in.
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
Re: Rubber boots
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2019, 08:30:51 PM »
I have a pair of bogs (classic mid). They work well for my use and are holding up well.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,222
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2019, 02:53:11 AM »
Who uses them?  What kind?

I bought some from Duluth Trading. They failed in less than a year.  Seams split and water leaked in.

Hey Wainiha,

The Duluth Trading commercials are some of the strangest I've ever seen.  :disturbed:

The company and marketing seems to be obsessed with specific body areas.  :gap:

One cartoonish commercial appears to target a man’s genital area with “Cooling Boxer Briefs" and “Buck Naked Performance Boxers”   Another commercial appears to target women who do forceful masculine type “work”, and they should be concerned with exposing an area on their back just above their butt?  :dunno:

The "Stop Yanking" TV ad starts with a back shot of an overweight woman sitting at diner bar stool with her back exposed as she reaches for the creamer.  She ‘yanks” her overly stretched tank top down to cover her exposed back right above the top of her jeans.  But we are not supposed to notice she is sporting a 75 lbs. butt!!  :yikes:

They also sell the “Buck Naked & Free Range” Undies for women.

Are the key words here: naked, cooling, performance, free range?

Look...I'm not saying that cooling my genitals from time to time is bad thing.  Or... that I shouldn't notice a woman with a big butt.  :moon:

I haven’t worn a pair of rubber boots for about 60 years.  :shake:    But... wearing good leak-proof "rubbers" is a must!  :thumbs:

I’m no help Wainiha.  :smack:

Gnarls. :inthedark:

« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2019, 03:04:54 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2019, 03:34:40 AM »
I have a pair of rubber boots I got from Big 5 about 20 years ago.

But I doubt I have a month of actual usage...……...
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,338
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2019, 11:43:32 AM »
What is the intended use? Xtratuff seem to be standard in many wet industries
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Wainiha [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2019, 07:36:53 AM »
It gets real muddy here with so much rain.  As for Duluth, I'm not liking them as much I did, and yes the underwear commercials are stupid.  Their sizing is to small.

Cabelas is cheaper and has better selection..  Unfortunately everything everywhere seems to come from China.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

RUGER

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16463
  • Male Posts: 1,017
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2019, 01:00:41 AM »
I used to have a pair of grange(la grange) something like that years ago, heck might still have them somewhere.  I used them fer a few seasons when I worked a Christmas tree lot. My feet stayed dry.

RUGER :usa: :beer: :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

Wainiha [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 13, 2020, 12:15:54 PM »
I just ordered a pair of Xtratuff boots from GearCor.com
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2020, 03:31:44 AM »
I just ordered a pair of Xtratuff boots from GearCor.com

Geezz.. Wainiha…  It’s only been 6 months and 7 days since you started your quest for new boots.  Have your boots been leaking all this time?... Or you have been boot-less all this time? :dunno:

Of course, for those out here who wear waterproof boots, your report in 12 months will be most interesting!  :thumbs:

Gnarls.  :inthedark:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Wainiha [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2020, 10:18:11 AM »
When it was flooding I was going barefoot.  But there is a danger of puncturing my feet.  Small floods and mud I'll wear the new boots.  If it is real deep water they'll just fill up, then no.  Just like waders in the floods here, if you get water in them you can drown.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

Hickory Nut

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 359
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2020, 08:02:28 PM »
You could always get some Cajun Reeboks (Google It, White Boots) they are cheap. Quite Stylish, I have a few pair that I wear on the reg (with no socks) when it's wet outside just stomping around in mud and low water they fit lower on the Calf. 

As Ruger said,  I have also used Lacrosse Uninsulated Rubber Boots I think they are called (Grange) for whitetail Archery Season in Mississippi to keep my scent down as opposed to leather. They fit much higher on the Calf but are hot because they don't breathe. They can also be stowed between the Cab of your Toyota Truck and the bed. Just press the top flat and press them between the cab and bed.  They will not move in transit but will be readily available when you have to walk through less than 15-16" of water. They also make uninsulated hip boots (Lacrosse Big Chief 32") with the same footbed as the Grange. As long as you keep them from Dry Rotting they should last for many years. I think my first pair lasted 6 years before they broke down.

I would try any of these before I went barefoot in water you can see your feet in. I am not affiliated with any of these companies but just used some of their products.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Jun 16, 2020, 02:43:40 AM »
When it was flooding I was going barefoot.  But there is a danger of puncturing my feet. 

Wainha!!  I'm surprised you would post such a comment.  :disturbed:

The foot and ankle contain: 26 bones (One-quarter of the bones in the human body are in the feet.); 33 joints; more than 100 muscles,
tendons and ligaments (Tendons are fibrous tissues that connect muscles to bones and ligaments are fibrous tissues that connect bones to other bones.);
and a network of blood vessels, nerves, skin, and soft tissue.  :blah:

In every safety preparation related discussion, advice, or protocol that I've read, the very first action item is the protection of your FEET. :thumbs:

WHY?... in an emergency situation (tornado, earthquake, Antifa terrorist attack, if you cannot walk, run, or move you could be in extreme danger.  :yikes:

Also, your feet are the most likely part of your body to get infected from exposure to pathogens if they are injured and have open wounds.  :yesnod:

In an earthquake preparedness class I took after the 1972 big earthquake in SoCal, the FIRST thing you do before moving is to put shoes on!! :psss:

That's just my opinion - it may be worthless. :gap:

Gnarls. :beerchug:

« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2020, 02:57:46 AM by Gnarly4X »

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #12 on: Jun 16, 2020, 04:24:55 AM »

So how did humans survive before shoes were invented?

:think:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Jun 16, 2020, 11:30:08 AM »
So how did humans survive before shoes were invented?

:think:

They cut their feet, got infected, and died.

That's why they are extinct.

Gnarls.

Wainiha [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 16, 2020, 03:14:25 PM »
Plenty people walk barefoot here.  Me, mostly only in my yard.  I have punctured my foot badly before.  Once a stick that was buried in deep mud.  I soaked my foot in hot water for a few days w/iodine.  All good.  Now I only wear slippers(flip flops to you guys) in the yard.  Shoes the rest of the time.  Kauai isn't as clean as it used to be. :thumbdown:
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

RUGER

• Online The 1K Club
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Jun 16, 2020, 04:10:03 PM »
i got sissy feet. im hardly walking around barefoot. the smallest rock or anything hurts. im at least wearing flippy floppys when i go outside. heck today i tore up my foot on a carpet nail strip.

glad you found some boots.

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

NRA life member

Wainiha [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 16, 2020, 11:16:13 PM »
I walk on gravel and  lava rock barefoot.  In Hawaii we are raised that way.  In the cities of the mainland...always shoes.  No barefoot on crack pipes :thumbs:.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #17 on: Jun 17, 2020, 03:01:10 AM »
I walk on gravel and  lava rock barefoot.  In Hawaii we are raised that way.  In the cities of the mainland...always shoes.  No barefoot on crack pipes :thumbs:.

I could not walk on gravel or lava rock barefoot, and I would not even consider doing that!  :yikes:

Yep… lots of folks go barefoot.  I go barefoot when I’m bobbing in the pool.  I go barefoot in the morning when I wake up and head to the kitchen to start the coffee.
I’m like Ruger – I have tender feet and never really felt comfortable going barefoot.

When you say when its flooding and you walk around barefoot, presumably in dirty water, without knowing what is in it, that sounds foolish and risky. :dunno:

I think proper footwear foot worn for the conditions or terrain is obviously very important.  In my early sand dune days, wearing lightweight sneakers was very comfortable. Later when I got into 4-wheeling and rockcrawling, lightweight sneakers were not adequate.  I tried different boots and heavy shoes to protect my feet from the sharp hard rocks and twisting my ankle.  While piling rocks to a get over an obstacle, a dumbass idiot dropped a 40 lbs. rock on my foot, broke two toes. That’s when I bought  a pair of high quality steel toed boots to wear when rockcrawling.

In the summer of ’66 I worked for the Forest Service on survey team in high elevation. When the forest fires broke out, we were sent to fight fires!  My team and I got stuck overnight on the side of fire ravaged mountain – never been so frightened in my life.  I had to walk across a big creek and got my boots soaking wet.  After 48 hours of wet feet they started to get infected.  At 18 years of age and zero experience fighting forest fires, I had no idea what the real risks were.  By the time I got home, my feet were smelling very badly and the skin was starting fall off.  I was surprised how rapidly they got infected.  A pair of waterproof boots would have been smart.

Surprisingly, I remember seeing guys on the trail with $10,000 worth of axles and tires and wearing $10 flip-flops! (we call them slappers).

Anyway… I’m glad you are getting a good pair of boots to protect your feet!  :beerchug:

Gnarls. :gap:

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #18 on: Jun 17, 2020, 03:18:32 AM »
i got sissy feet. im hardly walking around barefoot. the smallest rock or anything hurts. im at least wearing flippy floppys when i go outside. heck today i tore up my foot on a carpet nail strip.

glad you found some boots.

Hey Ruger.... back in 2001, while BAREFOOT, I jammed a 2.5" sewing needle that was buried in the carpet, into the end of my big toe. A 1" piece of the needle broke off and was stuck into my bone.  I went to work that morning and my boss said to get to emergency medical treatment immediately because infection.  I went to the urgent care, after X-raying my toe and seeing a piece of the needle, they sent me to a foot surgeon.  Watching the Dr. take a scalpel and slice open the end of my big toe, pulling out the needle, and stitching up the incision was weird.  I limped around for about two weeks before I could walk normal. 

I was on some very nice euphoric inducing drugs!! :D

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2020, 03:24:54 AM by Gnarly4X »

RUGER

• Online The 1K Club
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: Jun 17, 2020, 07:34:05 AM »
Hey Ruger.... back in 2001, while BAREFOOT, I jammed a 2.5" sewing needle that was buried in the carpet, into the end of my big toe. A 1" piece of the needle broke off and was stuck into my bone.  I went to work that morning and my boss said to get to emergency medical treatment immediately because infection.  I went to the urgent care, after X-raying my toe and seeing a piece of the needle, they sent me to a foot surgeon.  Watching the Dr. take a scalpel and slice open the end of my big toe, pulling out the needle, and stitching up the incision was weird.  I limped around for about two weeks before I could walk normal. 

I was on some very nice euphoric inducing drugs!! :D

Gnarls.

yowza.

like the fire crew and wheeling. I have boots fer multiple purposes and prob have more footwear than my wife haha.  duty boots fer work, hiking boots, hunting boots, several pairs of cowboy boots, snow boots, several flippy floppys, slippers, my old military boots, and I know im forgetting more.
I should get another pair of sneekers to encourage me to workout since old ones worn out. haha

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

NRA life member

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #20 on: Jun 17, 2020, 09:15:21 AM »
when I was in AK it was wet and muddy part of the year and snowy and wet the rest of the year and I lived in my insulated extra tuff's. they were expensive but I still have them to this day 10 years later even when other rubber boots would only last one year.

I did hear they are now making some of their boots in China but at the time I bought mine they were all US made. this is only a rumor I heard so take it for what it is.

Wainiha [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 17, 2020, 10:17:23 AM »
That,s a good thing to hear about the xtratuffs.  i got the non-insulated...Hawaii no need
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

Wainiha [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 17, 2020, 10:19:32 AM »
To: Gnarly4X yes where I live the amount of illegal sewage/cesspools makes the river next to my house contaminated now. 
When I was a kid my friends and I would drink the water from the river mouth.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #23 on: Jun 18, 2020, 03:29:08 AM »
Growing up in Oregon as a kid, we wore a pair of red rubber "galoshes" during the rainy season. 

As I remember, they never really fit right and my feet still got wet! :disturbed:

Some people called them "rubbers", but that didn't sound right.  :rofl2:

Gnarls. :gap:

trigrate

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2020, 06:21:31 AM »
My new LaCrosse Men’s Grange 18″ Hunting Boots are very comfy and durable.