Author Topic: LSD, Lockers, whatre my options?  (Read 18711 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,225
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: LSD, Lockers, whatre my options?
« on: Dec 07, 2019, 03:16:04 AM »
... Do you have any experience with a truetrac Gnarly?

Hey 85Toyotar,

“The Truetrac operates as a standard or open differential under normal driving conditions, allowing one wheel to spin faster or slower as necessary. When a wheel encounters a loss of traction or the terrain changes, the gear separation forces take effect and transfer torque to the high-traction wheel. The helical-shaped gears mesh with increasing force until wheel spin is slowed or completely stopped. When the vehicle exits the low traction situation, the differential resumes normal operation.”

The TruTrac is very high quality device and probably works very well in many applications.

I had a TruTrac installed my 1st 1986 Longbed in the front diff.  If I remember correctly back then there was no optional locker for that diff.  I had a Detroit Locker installed in the rear.

The only problem I had with the TruTrac was simply not enough traction when I wanted it.  When one wheel is spinning and it suddenly touches down on the terrain it tends to keep spinning until it gains traction and the torque transfers.  Then the other tire loses some torque.  I had to tap or press on the brake to keep the free wheel from spinning and maintain even torque between the two wheels. This effect is most noticeable when climbing and the weight of the front end has shifted heavily to the rear wheels. With a locker both wheels have applied torque.  For my 4-wheeling, a locker is my choice.  :blah:

Regarding asking questions here for help or commenting on topics, you should not feel uncomfortable.  But.. this is a public forum, so there is a wide range of personalities sitting behind their keyboards.  :thumbs:

Gnarls.  :gap:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein