Author Topic: ecu delete  (Read 3672 times)

Tiffany

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 3
  • Member since Nov '19
  • water is peace
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
ecu delete
« on: Nov 20, 2019, 07:21:19 PM »
i wanted to know if its really possbile to  delete the  ecus in a carbed based toyota pickup/4runner ?

i looked it up already but so sketchy info. all i know if it does work then u get an aftermarket ign setup...like msd or whatever.

it would be great to do this for many reaons .. like an electrical storm that could kill most cpus/ecus

thx

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
Re: ecu delete
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2019, 08:05:35 PM »
I would say no, at least not on a 2nd gen. (1st gen 4runner) as they have transistorized electronic ignition. You'd have to go back to the points/condenser setup of yesteryear which would be a pain, to say the least.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2019, 03:02:05 AM »
Tiffany,

That’s an interesting question.  :disturbed:

Your assumption that electrical storms will “kill most cpus/ecus" is completely false.  :shake:

There are millions of vehicles that are ECU controlled that are exposed to the most severe weather and climate conditions and don’t fail or are “killed”.  :thumbs:

There are speculations and assumptions made about an EMP from a nuclear bomb blast that predict the destruction of electrical circuits.  But scientists make hypothetical predictions all the time, often to be proven false later.  :blah:

Can you eliminate the ECU in a carb’d engine…. Of course.  :gap:

There may be a number of reasons “why” you would want “delete" the ECU in our Toyota engines, but I can’t think of a practical reason based upon most of the applications of the 4x4 wheeling community. :dunno:

Gnarls.  :inthedark:

« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2019, 03:11:33 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2019, 04:48:33 AM »
Do you still have the stock carb? If you do, it has an electronic choke that works off of temp sensors that run through the little ecm. I have deleted the ecm on a few 22r trucks when we converted to propane. Just ran a 20r distributor (single vacuum line) and a normal 2 wire coil(12v+ one side, ground the other). Super simple.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2019, 09:44:41 AM »
maybe you need to run from the cops and are afraid their EMP guns would disable you? :gap:
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

Tiffany [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 3
  • Member since Nov '19
  • water is peace
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2019, 04:42:02 PM »
to redneckcustoms13;
can i do that if i just gaslonine?

to wainiha;
perhaps i do wanna run lol and afraid of emp guns

to lewis hein;
points are not bad at me. but i dont know what a condensor stuff is?

to gnarly;
i rather be ready for the unseen future and problems ahead rather assume the latter that everthing will be fine . its a definte risk if an electrical storm or emp storm does come i beg to differ and solar flares etc. we have not really had a storm of that maginutde.  and they are coming

and i personaly hate ecus in vechiles .. they suk

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2019, 04:24:34 AM »

to gnarly;
i rather be ready for the unseen future and problems ahead rather assume the latter that everthing will be fine . its a definte risk if an electrical storm or emp storm does come i beg to differ and solar flares etc. we have not really had a storm of that maginutde.  and they are coming

and i personaly hate ecus in vechiles .. they suk

Hey Tiffany,

Electrical storms:  If you fear a lightning strike on your vehicle, which is extremely rare considering the number of lightning bolts and the number of automobiles on the roads, a direct lightning strike to your vehicle would most likely blows tires, fry wiring, and ignite the fuel tank – of course minus your deleted ECU.

Solar flares:  no real danger to us here on Earth.
https://www.worldsciencefestival.com/2014/10/whats-real-danger-solar-flares/

EMP:  The chance of a nuclear war or attack on a major world city is possible, it’s not likely in the USA.   A nuclear blast that would cause an EMP powerful enough to damage your ECU-controlled vehicle would most likely destroy so much of the electrical grid and infrastructure, your vehicle would be the least of your concerns.
https://www.citymetric.com/horizons/which-cities-are-greatest-risk-nuclear-war-1586

You concern for a potential extreme catastrophic event may be a real fear, but not a likely cause of your ECU-controlled engine failure.

But here’s some protection: 
https://www.empshield.com/?msclkid=aad39772f45915d030eccaa54a00c77e&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Fiverr%20-%20EMP%20Ad&utm_term=emp&utm_content=EMP%20Ad

ECUs:  I agree the ECU and it’s required sensors are a pain in the arse to test, diagnose, replace, and buy.  I’d rather have my 1985 22R carb’d engine than my 1986 22RE with it’s ECU and sensors. :thumbs:

Gnarls. :gap:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2019, 05:48:58 AM »
You could certainly do this with a carburetor and gasoline. Just need a more simplistic carb like a weber.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
06 tacoma street truck

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2019, 07:19:59 PM »
Yes but you can't get away from the electronics thanks to transistorized ignition.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2019, 03:00:45 AM »
Here's an interesting "survival" list for Tiffany's apparent panophobia, including astraphobia.  :gap:

https://www.survivalsullivan.com/will-wont-survive-emp-attack/   :thumbs:

Gnarls.  :blah:

« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2019, 04:09:35 AM by Gnarly4X »

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1233
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2019, 01:51:36 PM »
Even though I think some of your reasons are silly, but have you every thought of putting a magneto on it?
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2019, 05:12:21 AM »
Taking a 22RE and doing an ECU delete can be practical for personal reasons.

My first 1986 Long bed with an automatic trans and 22RE was an incredible truck.  That engine was amazing.  First… it started with just a turn of the key, and it started up immediately every time.  It didn’t matter if the outside temperature was 120 degrees or 20 degrees.  For wheeling, the fuel injection was perfect, it didn’t matter what angle the truck was at, or how bouncy the terrain I was driving on, it left missed a beat.  It averaged 25 MPG on 87 octane gas all the time.

At high elevation – Ducey Irshim trail – it made it all the way to the end on less than 15 gallons of fuel.  The old V-8 powered carb'd wheelers ended up having to take fuel before making to the end of the trail and down the hill to Shaver Lake.

Automotive technology-wise, doing an ECU delete on a 22RE is like doing a flush toilet and Charmin delete and going back to an outhouse and a Sears catalog.  Does it work.... sure, but you may be sacrificing some "conveniences."  :disturbed:

That’s just my worthless opinion.  :gap:

Gnarls. :blah:

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2019, 07:20:53 AM »
Gnarls I think you may have missed her first posts key statement.  Carb based engines. Not a the 22re. I would like to think no one would buy a 22re fuel injected truck with the intent of taking off a good set up like it has just to make it carbureted.

The 22r carb is a good little set up but the electric choke can be a pain. The first 22r engine we put a propane set up on was amazing to us simple minded high school kids. The swap to a 20r distributor with a single vacuum line made it even more cool/simplistic. I admire anyone who misses the simple mechanical mechanisms we will probably never see used again in the auto industry. An old points ignition with a coil is remarkably simple and reliable. Will it be the most "tunable" or give you the adjustable rev limiter and timing control that a mad box will? Heck no but for a simple engine they are great. A carburetor with no electronics on it is also a great simple device.
I have a 1974 f350 with a fe 360, stock carb with zero electronics, points and condenser ignition. I absolute love that old truck. Simplistic as it can get and works so well. My friends dad preached to me in high school how much he loved his 70 model ford and intended up with this 74.

https://youtu.be/TYuZdF5OT20
06 tacoma street truck

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2019, 08:52:35 AM »
Gnarls I think you may have missed her first posts key statement. 

Hi r,

Yeah, I know Tiffany mentioned a 22R engine.

I am just using my 22RE as an example of the pluses of an ECU-controlled engine, whether it’s a RE or an R.

Of course the ECU controls in an R engine is very simple and minor by comparison to the ECU, injectors, and sensors in a 22RE.

Tiffany's reasons for converting a 22R carbed engine and removing the functions of the ECU are “silly” to use OOPs description.  I don’t believe the 22R ECUs have ever been seriously discussed as an issue for reliability or performance.  In fact, the 22R carb is in my opinion, is overall an outstanding carburetor.  It did not like real steep inclines, but in 10 years of serious rockcrawling, I only swore at it a couple times.  And the HAC is a very functional feature.  By comparison to the options for aftermarket carbs and intake manifolds, and we know what you have to do to get one to work reliably, the factory Toyota carb is awesome!

Now… I HAVE in fact thought about converting my 22RE to a carb'd engine more than once!  My experience my current 22RE has been extremely frustrating and expensive to diagnose, test, remove and replace the associated sensors that report to the ECU!  I was 10 times happier with my 1985 22R!! … for the reasons most of us have experienced.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2019, 09:13:19 AM by Gnarly4X »