Author Topic: Lambda set up for a 22r weber  (Read 2741 times)

mwhite49

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Lambda set up for a 22r weber
« on: Nov 16, 2019, 12:21:13 PM »
What's the best least expensive Lambda set up that is a simple install and easy to use?

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 534
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Re: Lambda set up for a 22r weber
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2019, 01:02:48 PM »
Don't go "cheap" I would go with an AEM or at least an Innovative. There are some that are less expansive, but you get what you pay for.

If you really want to save money just learn to read your plugs. It's not as fast but that's how we used to do it, and it was good that way. If ya got good enough you could know what change yu needed by the color of the plug.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2019, 01:59:20 PM »
I have been reading plugs for years. However I would like to use a Lambda to get it to pass smog the first time.

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,219
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2019, 04:35:29 PM »
I have been reading plugs for years. However I would like to use a Lambda to get it to pass smog the first time.

I've been reading plugs for years also, but having an MR2, an AEM, or an LM-2 Air Fuel Ratio AFR Lambda Meter would be cats-ass!!  :gap:

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2019, 02:22:36 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2019, 06:29:01 PM »
Innovate makes a good unit, I have one for my MR2. Seems people like the AEM better. Check the reviews. Some say the Innovate has some issues, I know the sensor really doesn't like abuse a 4AGE can dish out.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2019, 01:32:23 PM »
Sir deuce, how do these systems function with our California pump gas with the ethanol? And which model would you recommend that is a reasonably priced one.
Thanks
Mike

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2019, 03:29:26 PM »
Either work with the fuels available here . I have the LC-2 from innovate and it does the job quite well. Either way you go it's a good idea to wire the system in temporarily to tune and put it back in the box once you get your jetting right. That'll keep the sensor fresh for any upgrades later. Being here in the land of the smog Nazis having the extra sensor in the exhaust system can get you failed for having a 'modified' exhaust. That little bung means nothing until you put a sensor in it that has nothing to do with the emissions systems. Yeah, I've been dinged for stupid things like that, even a vacuum gage using an extra port on the manifold, "It's not on the vacuum diagram, it's not legal" kinda thing.
As far as price, I think the AEM has a good unit for around $150. The Innovate might be close or a little higher.
If memory serves me, the Innovate has both the 5v wide band signal for the gage and a low volt, 1.5v, that is good for the stock ECU. If wired right you could get away with using just the one sensor/system.

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2019, 04:25:13 PM »
I would not bother with wiring into the ECU. I just need a stand alone with meter or gauge and o2 sensor. And like you said, test, get it right and remove it. I would like to pass smog the first time.. That's one thing that sells me on the LCI header over the DT unit. Too many complaints about the required smog fixtures beat to help. I also read that the DT headers are now made in Mexico at the Petronix exhaust factory. I will call DT tomorrow and ask a bunch of questions.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2019, 01:02:29 AM »
I would not bother with wiring into the ECU. I just need a stand alone with meter or gauge and o2 sensor. And like you said, test, get it right and remove it. I would like to pass smog the first time.. That's one thing that sells me on the LCI header over the DT unit. Too many complaints about the required smog fixtures beat to help. I also read that the DT headers are now made in Mexico at the Petronix exhaust factory. I will call DT tomorrow and ask a bunch of questions.

mwhite49,

I like your thinking process.  You are analyzing, for yourself, the aspects of your needs.   :biggthumpup:

It's interesting that over the years most of us have read and heard various "opinions" and "experiences" on just about everything related to our hobby.  :spin:

Unfortunately there is a large percentage of bravo sierra on the internet, so you have to be a detective and open-minded to the difference between fake news and the facts and truth.  :gap:

BUT.... experiences differ, so one man's euphoric rave may be another man's dysphoric rant.  :thumbdown: :thumbs:  :dunno:

Regarding the header - I would go by my gut, and it seems you are really leaning towards the LCE header. 

The LCE header is very high quality, and those who have installed one have raved about it.  :biggthumpup: 

Where something is manufactured is a whole other topic for discussion, and there are many examples of what it means to us as a consumer.
For example, Chevy has a plant in China... Chevy is a highly rated vehicle.  Most of Toyota's are manufactured here in the USA - also highly rated vehicle.  :blah:

So, if the quality and fit of the header are your top concern, I'd go with an LCE.  :yesnod:

I appreciate you posting your thoughts and experiences.  :beerchug:

I don't think you can go wrong with an LCE header.  :thumbs:

Gnarls.  :blah:
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2019, 01:09:44 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2019, 11:12:23 AM »
Well I have purchased the LM-2 system on Amazon. About the best price. As what I had said about Thorley headers being made in Mexico, I was incorrect. That's a brand called Doug's headers. Not even the same quality. And I ordered a jet kit from LCE for my Weber 32/36 so I can get it right the first time. This all should help.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2019, 12:12:17 PM »
Really good investment when tuning carbs is a set of jet reamers. I have a set, somewhere. Probably in the box that contains my Dell'oto carbs. Wish I could find them so I can sell them. Thing that's good about reamers is you don't have to get a set of jets for tuning. With the reamers it's easy to go richer, but leaner needs a little solder in the hole and then you can go from there.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:44:58 AM »
With the reamers it's easy to go richer, but leaner needs a little solder in the hole and then you can go from there.

Taking a reamer to a carb - for me - would be a little heart pounding.  :yikes:

I have used reamers, not on a carb, before and I was always somewhat nervous about the outcome. ???

Soldering a carb's jet hole would be even more stressful for me!  :willynilly:

My hats off to any "carb-modifying-guru" who can do that with success and that level of skill!!  :beerchug:

Gnarls.  :gap:

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2019, 07:18:40 AM »
Oh yeah, tuning carbs can be a bit tedious. Modifying the jets isn't such a problem, redrilling the carb ports can be a bit stressful though. Those little drill bits like to break if you look at them sideways. Break one off in the carb body and then just get another carb.