Author Topic: Re: 1991 4Runner  (Read 4446 times)

warrpath4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
Re: 1991 4Runner
« on: Nov 13, 2019, 03:42:59 PM »
Just over a year ago the wife and i went and picked up this 91 4Runner. this will be a run down of some of the stuff thats been done but mostly it just sat with snow covering it last winter and little time to work on it through the summer.

specs:

1991 4Runner
22RE
5-speed
3" (or 4) lift
33" tires
4.88 gears
ARB locker in rear but needs a compressor (have not verified locker yet)
sun roof

day we brought it home

already has a header and EGR block off

found this in the back cubby

warrpath4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
Re: Re: 1991 4Runner
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2019, 03:55:54 PM »
It needed a bunch of maintenance, the steering box leaked, water pump leaked and it snowballed from there to a bigger alternator, big 3 upgrade, Supra AFM, 4 hole injectors, aluminum V6 radiator with electric fan, cold air intake, battery relocation, de-vacuuming the engine, removal of the A/C,

CAI 1 (hit the hook)

CAI 2 (too long)

CAI 3 (fits just right) i am going to build a shroud for the filter

stripped the AFM wiring out of the harness and re-routed to the passenger side with split loom

gonna have to patch that

battery fits good on the driver side, need to build a tray though

look ma, no hoses (or less anyways)

warrpath4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2019, 04:10:26 PM »
while changing the thermostat of course one of the housing bolts snapped, couldnt get it out, drilled it but of course the bit slipped and wasnt square on, tried fixing it anyways. got it running for the first time in a year and had a geyser of coolant spraying out.

picked up a used lower intake in better shape, i was not very happy with Toyota engineers. who the hell runs a harness through the middle of the intake.

so i cut it between the webbing and on the new one.

perfect time to relocate the fuel filter while im here

this is also when the new 4 hole injectors came in since one of my old ones came out like this

but i got it all back together and running... but the RPM's were bouncing between 1500 and 2000 pretty rapidly, turns out i had the TPS  installed on the wrong side of the tangs and there for out of adjustment.

i still have an issue with the timing mark on the crank, its supposed to be at 5* but with the engine running smooth the timing mark is about 8 o'clock.

warrpath4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2019, 09:17:06 AM »
I have a 4.70 kit i still need to install in my transfercase

warrpath4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2019, 09:28:57 AM »
When i bought this rig it had an ARB locker in the rear but had never had air hooked up to it, I found the receipt in there where the PO bought a built 3rd member and the hose/switch kit was with it. I have a Viair compressor and a tank i am going to install and hope I dont need to replace any o-rings.

and now that i have 11 posts i can finish uploading pictures lol

warrpath4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2019, 09:38:09 AM »
first time in a year the grill has been back in it.

most of the time i am only able to put 15-30 minutes of work into this thing with work, commuting for work, family, farm, and traveling a lot during the summer for this guy

well were pretty much caught up, the next steps are replacing the o-ring to the heater pipe under the intake (didnt have a new one when it went back together and its weeping), bumpers, OBA, 4.70's and drive it.

warrpath4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2019, 10:30:23 AM »
re-aligned my steering wheel to the steering box to the pitman arm yesterday, installed the new steering stabilizer and the idler arm and bracket. did some more timing adjustments and cleaned it out (started looking like a tool box).

Then drove it to town and filled it up with gas!! runs pretty good but i still need to do some more adjusting on the idle, when i come up to a stop it stumbles and wants to die but corrects itself.

warrpath4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2019, 07:56:55 AM »
one step closer to getting my ARB working, pulled the side panel off so i could remove the cubby. apparently my 4Runner is special because it has a cubby on the left and right side. I still need to install the air tank and finish wiring the compressor.

The black circle is the air inlet
​​​​​​​

warrpath4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2019, 08:13:57 AM »
Planning on taking it to Sunnyside this weekend for the lighted implement parade (not entering, just watching) to put some freeway miles on it.

parts have been trickling in to get the air tank installed and the ARB working, ordered up a winch with synthetic line, and picked up a nice kinetic recovery rope last night from tractor supply. 7/8" X 20' 24,700 lbs breaking strength Ditch Pig for $80. amazon and homedepot show them for $92 and NAPA wants $192

dewiseman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 56
  • Member since Sep '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2019, 12:32:37 PM »
Good find WARRPATH,  It's  nice to see an early gen brought back to life.  They are still my favorites.

warrpath4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2019, 08:36:35 AM »
The steering felt really loose even after putting a new steering box, pitman arm, and idler arm and bracket. Yesterday i had the wife turn the steering wheel while i checked out the linkages. apparently when i hooked up the pitman arm, the steering was in a bind because it was super loose, i was able to pull the nut off by hand. She steers nice and tight now.

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2019, 12:25:23 PM »
Love where this is going.  Looking forward to seeing more. you know I'm a fan of the 2nd gen runners.
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

warrpath4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2019, 11:09:58 AM »
Situation: So i have a ARB in the rear right now, i am picking up an E-locker and will be going solid axle in the front.
Question: ARB rear E-locker front or E-locker rear ARB front?

any reason behind which should go in the front besides clearance for the E-locker?

warrpath4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2020, 11:52:03 AM »
i never get as much time in on projects as i plan for while on vacation.

surprisingly the only rust in the frame is in the front

this was after using the needle scaler

one other small rust hole found using the needle scaler

cutting out the old captured nut

after wire wheeling it

i bought a trail gear winch mount, it uses the 4 bolt holes across the cross member and has 2 extra holes above the cross member but theres nothing to bolt to there on these frames. having to cut out the captured nut i was reinforcing the front, replacing the captured nut, and added 2 more extra holes to the winch mount.

welded the brace plate in on the ends, 3 plug welds in the cross member, and stitch welded on the bottom of the cross member.

bolted up, i painted it black yesterday but didnt get another pic. still need to mount the winch to it.

and just because i have noticed i dont have many "over all" shots, theyre mostly of the areas i am working on.
​​​​​​​

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2020, 03:37:41 PM »
Situation: So i have a ARB in the rear right now, i am picking up an E-locker and will be going solid axle in the front.
Question: ARB rear E-locker front or E-locker rear ARB front?

any reason behind which should go in the front besides clearance for the E-locker?

Not really, both selectable, both good lockers.  I run E-Lockers front and rear, but if I had to pick in your situation I would put the Elocker in the rear, and here is why.  If you do have an electrical or air problem (the ARB uses both) than the ARB will default to open, the elocker will be whereever its last position was, and if you want to change it, you can pull the motor off and actuate it manually.  So god forbid if anything happens on the trail, Id rather have the option to manually actuate my rear locker and end up with an open front, than the other way around because you use the rear locker much more and it was easier on the truck to have the rear locked for a long period of time rather than the front locked for a long period of time. 
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

warrpath4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2020, 03:56:45 PM »
Not really, both selectable, both good lockers.  I run E-Lockers front and rear, but if I had to pick in your situation I would put the Elocker in the rear, and here is why.  If you do have an electrical or air problem (the ARB uses both) than the ARB will default to open, the elocker will be whereever its last position was, and if you want to change it, you can pull the motor off and actuate it manually.  So god forbid if anything happens on the trail, Id rather have the option to manually actuate my rear locker and end up with an open front, than the other way around because you use the rear locker much more and it was easier on the truck to have the rear locked for a long period of time rather than the front locked for a long period of time. 

that is the way i was leaning already, but what you said makes a lot of sense. thank you

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2020, 01:39:54 AM »
You should find the the factory jack under the backseat, under the carpet flap.  Flip the base forward for a little surprise, if you haven't found already.  Love these runners, wife has a '94.

[/quote]
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

warrpath4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2020, 09:18:10 AM »
Kept loosing coolant, and could smell it but couldn't see where it was coming from, wasn't losing a lot but enough to notice. got some leak testing dye from work and an ultraviolet flashlight, the only place i could see it leaking from was the upper radiator hose, I got about an extra turn out of it.

Ive taken it down the freeway a couple times now, at 70 my Speedo is reading 80. 

warrpath4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2020, 09:19:07 AM »
You should find the the factory jack under the backseat, under the carpet flap.  Flip the base forward for a little surprise, if you haven't found already.  Love these runners, wife has a '94.

i did just that the other week and the jack was still there

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,499
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2020, 11:08:01 AM »
Is the double bent half square piece of metal the wheel chock?
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

warrpath4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2020, 12:17:52 PM »
Is the double bent half square piece of metal the wheel chock?

honestly I am not sure, I am sure though that someone else on here will know.

warrpath4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2020, 07:52:22 AM »
Drove it 45 miles down the freeway to work today, did pretty good now that i have it timed better. 

warrpath4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2020, 03:11:15 PM »
my plan for yesterday was to install the air tank and get my ARB working, with the wind we have been having that sounded like a horrible idea. So i nosed the 4Runner into the shop doors and installed the winch.

extended the cables from the winch to the control box with welding ground cables and put it inside the engine bay. Installed an El Jefe winch hook stopper and have an ebay winch cover for it.

warrpath4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2020, 10:37:08 AM »
got pulled over last night by a very nice policeman who said the next time he seen me without front turn signals i would be getting a ticket. Stopped by the parts store and picked up some temporary lights and installed them in 11 degree weather. on a side note i have been daily driving it this week 100 miles a day.

I knew i was in violation but was hoping to get the front bumper finished first.

warrpath4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:40:29 AM »
sometimes its the small things, like a working windshield washer. 

A previous owner put an aftermarket pump on the inner fender but it doesn't pull to well through the old rusted out pump. i blocked off the hole for the rear washer pump, put a new one in the tank for the front and fixed the wiring... ta da a working windshield washer.

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2020, 05:41:02 AM »
sometimes its the small things, like a working windshield washer.

A previous owner put an aftermarket pump on the inner fender but it doesn't pull to well through the old rusted out pump. i blocked off the hole for the rear washer pump, put a new one in the tank for the front and fixed the wiring... ta da a working windshield washer.

But.... your new awesome looking bling-snorting-heavy-duty-rooty-tooty WINCH is adding to your exciting 100 mile drive!!  :thumbs:

Gnarls.  :beerchug:
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2020, 05:49:35 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

warrpath4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2020, 01:19:19 PM »
last week I decided to test the ARB to make sure it was working... it is not. wouldn't lock and I could hear air leaking, guessing an o-ring is leaking. 

Today I ordered a set of 4.88 gears and a spartan locker, going to install them in a spare third member and put it in the rear. I will keep the ARB third member for when I do my SAS. Also ordered a couple of triple drilled flanges (ARB third already has one) for when I install the 4.7:1 transfer case gears.