Author Topic: Exhaust, Headers or Catalytic Converter?  (Read 2756 times)

85Toyotar

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 112
  • Member since Sep '19
    • View Profile
Exhaust, Headers or Catalytic Converter?
« on: Oct 26, 2019, 10:39:23 AM »
Sorta new to this so apologies if I am not including enough information for you guys to help me out. I've got a 85 Toyota pickup that is my daily driver and I am slowly going to turn it into a better wheeler while still keeping it as my daily. I am wanting to get some more power. Wanting to replace at some point the headers, cat, and exhaust. No leaks in exhaust, or issues with the cat or headers. All these parts are stock so lets just say that they are all in the same condition as well. On a budget so I cant spend all the money for all 3 parts at once. I will most likely be able to purchase the cat with either the headers or exhaust first. I think I am pretty set with purchasing those parts on LCE Performance. I am just not sure if I am going to run into fitting problems when trying to put on a aftermarket part to a stock part. Which combo should I purchase first? Thanks guys and ladies :)
Blue 85' Toyota Pickup 22r

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust, Headers or Catalytic Converter?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2019, 02:43:54 PM »
What is your current set-up? 

If you are running larger than stock tires on the stock gears, no amount of bolt on exhaust upgrades will be worth it.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

85Toyotar [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2019, 03:20:18 PM »
31's. Nothing I have so far is meant for any serious wheeling. Bigger tires and gears will come in future. I just have read these small stock exhausts really limit the airflow

toyodaaddict

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2019, 05:57:39 PM »
Dont expect too much from exhaust upgrades. 
 I would say go with some 2" or 2 1/4" pipe. Something like a flowmaster 40 or 50. Save the header for later. They say the stock manifold isnt bad. :twocents:

80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2019, 07:16:58 PM »
Do you have smog tests to contend with?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2019, 08:07:32 PM »
31's. Nothing I have so far is meant for any serious wheeling. Bigger tires and gears will come in future. I just have read these small stock exhausts really limit the airflow

The 22r's can benefit from a little larger exhaust, but since your is in good shape, yo other than the sound, you won't get any return on the cost performance wise, with 31's, you are already 10% under geared.  With what you were considering spending at LCE, you would get more for your money, by swapping in a set of stock 4.56 diffs, likely be cheaper.

If it were me, since you are just getting started and rely on it as a daily driver as well, I would spend money on bumpers and sliders, first, winch if money allows it, and run it as it is now. 

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,219
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2019, 04:42:15 AM »
.. I've got a 85 Toyota pickup that is my daily driver and I am slowly going to turn it into a better wheeler while still keeping it as my daily. I am wanting to get some more power...

My experience is different.

My 1985 Standard Cab, 22R, 5-speed was my daily driver and serious rock crawler.

On my stock 1985 22R 5-speed, the exhaust upgrade with a Doug Thorley header, larger exhaust tubing, no cat, turbo muffler made a huge difference – especially at freeway speeds and noticeably improved torque between 2500 and 3500 RPMs.  After the header and exhaust, adding my Double Gnarly air filter mod made another very noticeable increase in torque at 3,000 RPMs.

I ran the stock 4.11 diffs with 31s, 32s, and 33s for many years.  It was my daily driver and I 4-wheeled it about every other weekend from Sonora Mexico to So/No California, to Moab.  Installing the "right" ring and pinions for larger tires will be a very noticeable change. My current 1986 XtraCab 5-speed with 30” tires and 4.56 ring and pinions is perfect for my driving style.  With 33” tires, 4.88 gears should provide an optimum torque/RPM range.

For a relatively simple (bolt-on modification), the performance gains with a Doug Thorley tri-y header with larger exhaust tubing was the biggest bang for my buck.

The modifications for power gains on my 22R was WAY more noticeable than on my 22REs.  Your elevation will have a big effect on how much any gain you will notice.  The condition of your engine – compression, valves, and state of tune (carb, ignition, valve lash) is critical for adding any power through modification to a stock 22R.

For more power gain - the next “bolt-in” performance mod I would do is a torquey cam – CompCam, Schneider, or a custom grind from 22RE Performance. 

For 4-wheeling – the next modification I would do is install a Marlin Crawler t-case and a rear diff locker.

When budget allows, then a front diff locker.

After those mods, going with a Weber and intake manifold would be my next consideration.

I wheeled the heck out of my ’85 22R, 5-speed, Standard Cab with basically a 4” lift and 33’s, MC t-case, and lockers.

Gnarls – That’s just my opinion – it may be worthless.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2019, 07:00:58 PM »
Do not expect a miracle from headers and exhaust upgrades, they are just a small part when building an engine. With 31" tires you should have 4:88 gears, what do you have!! If you want more power contact Tim at D.O.A., he can build what you want at a price$$$$. 

http://doaracingengines.com/
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,219
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2019, 04:31:46 AM »
Do not expect a miracle from headers and exhaust upgrades, they are just a small part when building an engine....

The actual effect of exhaust system upgrades on 22s has always been a debatable topic for discussion.

I agree that “miracle” upgrades to a stock 22R is a happy thought at best.

Small incremental upgrades can be done and a basically bolt-on exhaust system upgrade is considered by most automotive enthusiasts to be an excellent first choice for cost/performance gains.

On my 1985 stock 22R, I would guess that based upon HP numbers touted by many exhaust experts, 10% increase is fairly common.  If my stock 22R rated at 96 horsepower got just 8% increase in power, then I felt a 7.68 HP increase.  So my stock 96 HP went up to approximately 104 HP.  Although that is a small 8 HP increase in numbers, that increase in torque when driving my 3100 lbs. standard cab down the freeway at 2,800 RPMs in 5th gear at 80 MPH was a huge feeling for me!  :blah:

Gnarls.  :gap:

« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2019, 04:45:51 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

85Toyotar [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2019, 01:39:14 PM »
Appreciate all the input. I am not experienced in wheeling just have been on some trips, nor do I know much about vehicles themselves. I am just learning as I go and any input is helpful to me. And again, thank you everyone.

mwhite49

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2019, 07:44:06 AM »
If you live in Cali and need a new CAT then this is the best deal so far. I got my Magnaflow cat for $225.00.
Try this web site, I got the only on one. hottexhaust.com. Most places want 300, I saw some down to 279. And free shipping. I'm getting LCE headers using my CAT and going to the muffler shop.