Author Topic: R151F question  (Read 5696 times)

sjelite

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
R151F question
« on: Oct 15, 2019, 08:32:01 AM »
Hello guys
I’ve been trying to locate the answer to this question for the past few days. The R151F judging by the pictures of it, (please see image area circled in red) I’m assuming it has a T-Case already attached at the tail housing, if this is true… is it a gear driven T-Case that’s attached? And then for dual cases you only need one extra case to have a dual case setup?
Im asking because I want to purchase an R151F and install it into my 82 but If the above is not true I might go a different route. I’m trying to keep my T Case shifter(s) in the original location. I ran across a picture of an R151F with dual cases and the area circled in red had a block off plate with 2 additional T-cases behind it.

Thanks

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: R151F question
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2019, 09:27:15 AM »
You can run a turbo(forward shift case) or a top shift case behind the trans.  It clearly does not come with case attached as shown.
You will require a 23 spline case or replacement input shaft in order to run behind an R151.
hold this. . .

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 786
  • Male Posts: 944
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2019, 11:09:32 AM »
The r151f does have the exact same shifter locations for the Trans shifter and front case if you utilize the forward shift set up for the front case.   This is the exact set up I have in my 1983.  r151f, Duals with MC08 and total spline 4.7's in the rear,  all 23 spline.  I like being able to use the original boot if desired for the front case.  You obviously still have to cut your hole in the floor for the rear case.
Sharing time between Northern Ca and Western Tn..

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2019, 11:23:11 AM »
As Gnob mentioned, the transfercase is not attached to the transmission in the pic you posted.  The area you circled is where the transfercase lever is located with the stock forward shift t-case.

This is what the picture you posted is missing,

This is what a topshift transfercase looks like, and should be similar to what you have now in your '82,

This is what you would need to buy to run dual cases w/the r151, it goes between the transmission and a 23 splined transfercase.

This is what the R151 typically looks like with dual transfer cases

Running dual cases and keeping the transfer case shifters near the stock locations, will require running something like this from RADesigns

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

sjelite [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2019, 11:45:55 AM »
The r151f does have the exact same shifter locations for the Trans shifter and front case if you utilize the forward shift set up for the front case.   This is the exact set up I have in my 1983.  r151f, Duals with MC08 and total spline 4.7's in the rear,  all 23 spline.  I like being able to use the original boot if desired for the front case.  You obviously still have to cut your hole in the floor for the rear case.

Do you happen to have a picture of your setup ?

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2019, 11:56:54 AM »
As Gnob mentioned, the transfercase is not attached to the transmission in the pic you posted.  The area you circled is where the transfercase lever is located with the stock forward shift t-case.

This is what the R151 typically looks like with dual transfer cases

Running dual cases and keeping the transfer case shifters near the stock locations, will require running something like this from RADesigns

The rad designs is nice but they do not make it for the forward shift.  If you run it like you have pictured above there will be a big new hole in the sheet metal and not in the stock location for the front tcase.  It is a clean set up though over all but I have seen guys actually having to cut large sections of their sheet metal to accommodate the rods.  So for the OP this may not be what he is looking for.   I also preferred the one smaller hole of just the rear shift over the RAD or daves offroad.

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2019, 12:00:28 PM »

Do you happen to have a picture of your setup ?

I can take one later.  Mine I don't have all finished up with boots and all though.  But again I like having the forward shifter in the stock location and the r151f allows this for the front case.  I considered the rad stuff like posted above but it would have had me cutting a big section of floor out to make it all work being that my transmission and tcases are rather close to the floor.

sjelite [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2019, 12:05:24 PM »
So if you go with two top shift cases (block off the forward shift plate) does anyone know what the offset is from the R151 transmission shifter  to the 1st ttransfer case shifter center? I  was planing to run the RAD design triple shifter (already have it)

ALSO
I was wanting to go with the R151 just to keep my options open for a future engine swap (22re 3rz or 5Vz not decided). Problem is I don’t want to loose my center console and the 23 spline upgrade is $$$$. My plan is to run dual cases with a triple stick setup regardless if I go with the R1515 or W56.
So if I could run the R151 + 1 forward shift T Case +1 top Shift T case + triple stick shifter (Rad Designs of course) that would be great, but I’m not sure the triple stick will work on the forward shift. 

Also I was wanting to go with the 23-21 spline adaptor instead of upgrading the t cases to 23 spline. Save on Parts and labor, ease of installation
http://www.northwestfab.com/Toyota-R150FR151F-to-Toyota-Gear-Drive-21-Spline-Transfer-Case-Adapter_p_390.html

sjelite [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2019, 12:08:46 PM »

The rad designs is nice but they do not make it for the forward shift.  If you run it like you have pictured above there will be a big new hole in the sheet metal and not in the stock location for the front tcase.  It is a clean set up though over all but I have seen guys actually having to cut large sections of their sheet metal to accommodate the rods.  So for the OP this may not be what he is looking for.   I also preferred the one smaller hole of just the rear shift over the RAD or daves offroad.

Thats what i was afraid of, the non compatibility with the forward shift.

But I could block the forward shift location and just run dual offset like the G or W series right (with Tripple sticks)?

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2019, 12:11:42 PM »
, but I’m not sure the triple stick will work on the forward shift. 

Their kit does not work with a forward shift set up.   

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2019, 12:15:17 PM »

the pic above shows a blocked off forward shift with duals.  Yes you can do it.  And again if you run the triple shifter you can expect to have to cut large portions of your floor but you will have all three shifters in one location.  I think all the answers you are asking are above now in this thread,  Aside from the actual measurement from forward shift hole to top shift if blocking off original location.  You can estimate that rather easy from his picture.

sjelite [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2019, 01:10:18 PM »
Thanks everyone for helping to clarify this topic.
 I do have a 1” body lift and someone who can help me fab a cover for the 3x shifters

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2019, 04:34:55 PM »
Here is what my shifter set-up looks like, note it uses the stock boot because the t-case shifter has an offset!!  https://imgur.com/vY4NPOz  https://imgur.com/dx6IyF0
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

sjelite [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2019, 07:50:04 AM »
Here is what my shifter set-up looks like, note it uses the stock boot because the t-case shifter has an offset!!  https://imgur.com/vY4NPOz  https://imgur.com/dx6IyF0

Thanks OOPS that’s actually a pretty clean setup. On the twin stick portion is that mounted on the 1st or 2nd t-case? I’m assuming it’s on the 2nd one correct?

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2019, 08:40:51 AM »
On the 2nd!! I think I twin sticked about 16 years ago!!
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

un4seen4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 276
  • Male Posts: 25
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Slowyota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Oct 17, 2019, 08:43:48 AM »
another example of forward shift and twin:

(shift diagram is for the wife lol)

sjelite [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2019, 04:04:52 PM »
another example of forward shift and twin:

(shift diagram is for the wife lol)

I’m actually starting to like this setup more.
Nice job on the skate wheels, I personally would have ran some Powell Peralta Rat Bones  :)

un4seen4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 276
  • Male Posts: 25
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Slowyota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2019, 05:39:12 PM »
I’m actually starting to like this setup more.
Nice job on the skate wheels, I personally would have ran some Powell Peralta Rat Bones  :)

Thanks man! They were the only black and red wheels I could find in town here to match the truck, seems Powell and Spitfire are the only game for wheels now, its been years sense I last looked so I was little shocked.

I would have liked to find a set of ricta slime balls but the shape is all wrong in the hand.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #18 on: Oct 18, 2019, 06:28:29 PM »
Like you I wanted shifters that were in the factory location. Nothing was available on the market so I made them. This is what I came up with.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

sjelite [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2019, 07:19:16 AM »
Like you I wanted shifters that were in the factory location. Nothing was available on the market so I made them. This is what I came up with.

WOW
nice setup Helipilot!

Thanks so much for sharing that!!! This is what i was thinking about doing, I already own the RAD tripple stick setup and I wanted to modify it like this.

jung4x4

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2023, 07:59:26 PM »

This is what I came here to find!  Very nice setup!  Still no one making this??

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2023, 08:21:46 PM »

No. nobody makes this. I have been running this setup for years. I did have it fail on me on the trail once when my motor mount broke. The whole engine and transmission rotated to the pasenger side which bent one of the linkages. I was able to fix it on the trail in a few hours with a hammer though.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2023, 01:54:39 PM »

The r151 was mated to the 22ret, which were available for just '86-'87 model years, so they are rare.

If you have a top shift rear case, radesign sells just the twin stick unit, you then supply your own linkages and levers, might be able to fab up something similar to what helipilot made.
http://www.radesignsproducts.com/triple---twin-sticks.html
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod