Author Topic: 22r valve/cam issues  (Read 11352 times)

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 535
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Re: 22r valve/cam issues
« Reply #60 on: Dec 27, 2019, 04:26:53 PM »
The whole 'build to the budget' thing huh? Remember to make several retorque efforts after you install the mani. Let the engine go through 2 or 3 heat cycles ant then retorque. Keep doing that until the nuts won't retorque.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Dec 27, 2019, 04:56:02 PM »
The whole 'build to the budget' thing huh? Remember to make several retorque efforts after you install the mani. Let the engine go through 2 or 3 heat cycles ant then retorque. Keep doing that until the nuts won't retorque.
Yep money is tight. I'm going to use Wave type lock washers with plain nuts. Should be easier on my new studs.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 535
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Dec 27, 2019, 09:49:29 PM »
Until the torque stabilizes keep an eye on those wavy washers. If they get loose they'll back off into someones windshield.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Dec 28, 2019, 02:20:41 PM »
The only issue I really have about using the stock manifold is that I don't want the new studs tweaked. With the money that went into rebuilding that head I could have purchased a new one. When I torque the new nuts it will be a bit lower than the factory as per the FSM.

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,225
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #64 on: Dec 31, 2019, 12:02:26 AM »
The only issue I really have about using the stock manifold is that I don't want the new studs tweaked. With the money that went into rebuilding that head I could have purchased a new one. When I torque the new nuts it will be a bit lower than the factory as per the FSM.

m.....

So the head is a rebuilt head?  What exactly was done during the rebuild?

Were the valve seats replaced?

Who did the rebuild?

What was the condition of the head before the rebuild?

Was the head a factory stock original or an aftermarket head like DNJ?

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Dec 31, 2019, 08:43:03 AM »
Stock head original to the engine. All new toyota valves. New 268 cam, the old cam was out of spec. Several exhaust studs had previously been replaced and were pulling out. I think it had been rebuilt once before. Block milled 11 thousands and head 5 just to clean it up. Several studs could not be heli coiled and the shop used special inserts and I supplied new studs. I had the manifold surface ground yesterday and watched him do it. Nice and flat now. The last builder did not do this and that's probably what pulled the studs.

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Jan 05, 2020, 03:17:31 PM »
Today since we have nice weather I hooke up more items.  No plugs in and turned the engine over a couple of times, maybe 3 to 4 minutes total. I had the valve cover off. Seems like every thing is working except I expected to see more oil. I have a new mechanical oil gauge and I have no oil in the tube. Is there a way to prime the oil pump? Should I be worried or not?

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Jan 05, 2020, 06:45:18 PM »
Did the oil light go off? Below is a quote from 22RE Performance:

Crank it over.  (WITHOUT the coil wire installed onto the distributor cap and the EFI fuse REMOVED)  It may take 10 to 30 seconds of total cranking time to get the “oil” light to go out or your gauge (if you have an SR5 truck) to register in the ‘normal’ range.

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Jan 05, 2020, 07:26:11 PM »
No oil light. Just a new mechanical oil pressure gauge. But I had the plugs in loose, not tightened down. Tomorrow I'll pull the plugs all the way out and that should give me more rpm.

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,225
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #69 on: Jan 06, 2020, 03:31:27 AM »
Today since we have nice weather I hooke up more items.  No plugs in and turned the engine over a couple of times, maybe 3 to 4 minutes total. I had the valve cover off. Seems like every thing is working except I expected to see more oil. I have a new mechanical oil gauge and I have no oil in the tube. Is there a way to prime the oil pump? Should I be worried or not?

With proper assembly lube, lubing the oil pump with engine break in oil prior to bolting onto the block, you shouldn't have an issue with getting oil pressure to your mechanical gauge.  Priming the oil filter with oil is always recommended, but with the horizontal mount on a 22, I don't know if the anti-drain back valve is good enough to keep some oil in the filter.  Milodon is a well-known manufacturer and their instructions on priming their oil pumps is to fill it with Vaseline jelly if you can't prime with motor oil.  https://www.milodon.com/instructions/oil-pump-startup.pdf

Cranking an engine for 30 seconds is LONG time to me, but you should see oil pressure in less than 60 seconds at the gauge.  The oil pump will be pumping oil almost immediately and pushing oil into the bearings and into the cam and rockers before you see the pressure on the gauge.

You should have the plugs removed to allow the engine to spin faster.

The temperature of the oil is critical for adequate flow.  If I lived in a very cold climate and firing a rebuilt engine for the first time in a non-heated garage, I'd heat the oil in a bucket of hot water, then pour it into the crankcase, then immediately fire the engine.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2020, 06:21:45 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Jan 06, 2020, 07:57:16 AM »
Thanks to all. I'm in Ventura county so it's not really cold. Got up to 65 yesterday. I'll pull the plugs today and try again.