Author Topic: 22r valve/cam issues  (Read 11183 times)

mwhite49

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 22r valve/cam issues
« Reply #30 on: Nov 12, 2019, 08:09:53 AM »
Military discount is 15% but you have to place your order on the phone. Not online.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #31 on: Nov 17, 2019, 02:38:21 AM »
Military discount is 15% but you have to place your order on the phone. Not online.

Does your telephone work?  :gap:

Even with shipping, I think the DT military discount price will be less than getting one from Summit Racing. :blah:

Gnarls. :thumbs:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Nov 17, 2019, 01:01:15 PM »
Still having doubts about the DT header. I watched a couple of YouTube vids about lack of quality, emmisions fittings damaged or bad. Same person the did a vid on the LCE and his comments about the overall fit and finish and how much better they were. But then several of you love your DT headers with no issues. Maybe his was built on a hangover Monday.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #33 on: Nov 18, 2019, 01:26:31 AM »
Still having doubts about the DT header. I watched a couple of YouTube vids about lack of quality, emmisions fittings damaged or bad. Same person the did a vid on the LCE and his comments about the overall fit and finish and how much better they were. But then several of you love your DT headers with no issues. Maybe his was built on a hangover Monday.

I don't think you can go wrong with the LCE header.

It's quality is raved about very often.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 534
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Nov 18, 2019, 09:11:26 AM »
Yes, quality is a HUGE factor, and mostly should be the deciding factor in just about anything you get. Too bad quality control is so low on a company's agenda. Too bad that leaves a limited set of options, not that the options had here are fairly limited anyway. Especially in the cases of strict emissions laws, like California. Basically 2 choices here, LC or DT. Would be nice to have more options though.

Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Nov 18, 2019, 07:17:18 PM »
There is a 3rd option now. The Trail breaker Rock Ripper is Smog legal, LCE sells those also. Nice looking headers with a 1/2 inch flange. 

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Nov 18, 2019, 07:21:48 PM »
Hmmmm
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Nov 22, 2019, 08:45:27 PM »
I have finally settled for LCE.  Got the engine in the truck today. Now the fun stuff starts in hooking it all back up. At least I had the engine almost complete before putting it in. I misplaced 3 pressure plate bolts so I called ARP and picked up at set from them in Ventura.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #38 on: Nov 23, 2019, 02:40:40 AM »
I have finally settled for LCE.  Got the engine in the truck today. Now the fun stuff starts in hooking it all back up. At least I had the engine almost complete before putting it in. I misplaced 3 pressure plate bolts so I called ARP and picked up at set from them in Ventura.

Good choice.... it's a very nice header for a 22R.

I'm curious... did you say what exhaust tubing your are connecting it to, and if you are running a real cat, and what muffler? ???

Gnarls. :spin:

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Nov 23, 2019, 08:25:04 AM »
On the exhaust a Magnaflow cat, then a Magnaflow resonator and then a Dynam ax muffler, all 2 1/4 inch. The muffler shop recommended the Dynomax muffler for a high flow low noise. I would post pictures but have a hard time As they are all too big.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #40 on: Nov 23, 2019, 10:01:12 AM »
On the exhaust a Magnaflow cat, then a Magnaflow resonator and then a Dynam ax muffler, all 2 1/4 inch. The muffler shop recommended the Dynomax muffler for a high flow low noise. I would post pictures but have a hard time As they are all too big.

I ran this muffler on my 85 22R with 2” tubing and “cat delete”.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17704/overview/

With the LCE header and 2.25” exhaust I’m curious if your butt dyno will record any lower to mid RPMs torque loss?

Of course, it may run like a raped-ape at 5,000 RPMs!!  :yikes:

I found the muffler shops I have gotten quotes from like to sell the higher priced mufflers.  I’ve always installed the “cheaper” brands and have had reasonably good success. 

When I was wheeling very often, about 3 times a month, I had one muffler start rattling, I assume something broke loose inside, but that was after a couple years old.

I prefer the quieter throaty exhaust sound.  I tried the “muffler shop’s” version and didn’t like the power loss and the exhaust was just way too loud for me.  I had them re-do it on my first 1986 22RE.

Gnarls.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #41 on: Nov 23, 2019, 03:36:25 PM »
I've always have liked the Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler...……..
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8319
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Nov 23, 2019, 05:00:04 PM »
I am running a Walker Quiet Flow turbo muffler on mine. Not loud & it doesn't sound ricey.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Nov 26, 2019, 08:27:44 AM »
I still have not ordered a Header. I would really like to find a used on, any brand that would be CARB legal. But one thing I have learned so far about these 22r headers is that there are not very many to choose from. If I lived in a different state there would be. I don't want to order one and end up with issues. One thing going extra for the Thorley is that their Smog legal one is all welded up where the LCE I would have to pay and extra 100 for the smog fittings which are bolted on and not permanent as the Thorley is.

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Dec 04, 2019, 01:53:53 PM »
I found some more info on Rock Ripper headers sold by Trail Gear. I called them today with some questions about the headers. Not made by Trail Gear, made for Trail Gear. And the sales man had no idea who is making them. I pinot blank basket if they were the old Downey header and he did not know diddly. I have my suspicions that they are in fact the Downey headersbre branded by the new maker. LCE stocks them at about 30 less than the Trail Gear web site.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Dec 04, 2019, 05:09:03 PM »
On my '83 I ran 2 1/4" tube on the exhaust with mandrel bends cut and welded in. Ran an 18" glass pack to cut out the higher frequency tones and the muffler, can't remember the manufacturer but their motto was "Bite Me". The set-up was relatively quiet at Idle with a good low tone and kept that through the top end. No headers, used a later model exhaust manifold that went through the extrudehone process and had a custom downpipe made. Good sound and good performance from idle to valve float.

Used the stock mani to maintain a passing appearance (California). Seems that even with a C.A.R.B  E.O. they can still get you for 'modified' equipment. The Extrudehone process and custom downpipe cost more than any E.O.ed header and really not worth it(unless your skull is as thick as mine).
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2019, 05:14:52 PM by sirdeuce »

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:13:58 PM »
How can the Smog people ding you for a CARB legal modification? If they try that with me I'll try a different smog station. My old truck passed all the tests except smoking like crazy. When I tore it down I found 2 burnt exhaust valves and 2 bad intakes. So I replaced all my exhaust valves and I had one cylinder where all of the rings including the oil rings were all lined up. That alone contributed to the smoke. Maybe just to pass smog the first time I'll put the original manifold back on. Well see. My 82 had that stainless steel heat shroud that lines up all the ports, and it is cracked so I'm not sure I can get it to seal. It may not. It's so thin I don't want to try welding it.

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:49:54 PM »
I guess I'm getting old. It passed the visual, but not the rest due to the Aisin carb had a blown diafram so it was running super rich. Then I installed a new CARB approved Weber 32/36. That did help but not enough to pass due to the condition of the engine. I had it bored 0.20, block decked 0.11 just to clean it up and the head 0.05 cleaned it up. So now it should run great. To be determined in the near future, but probably not until January. I'm in no big rush.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #48 on: Dec 05, 2019, 03:37:42 AM »
I guess I'm getting old. It passed the visual, but not the rest due to the Aisin carb had a blown diafram so it was running super rich. Then I installed a new CARB approved Weber 32/36. That did help but not enough to pass due to the condition of the engine. I had it bored 0.20, block decked 0.11 just to clean it up and the head 0.05 cleaned it up. So now it should run great. To be determined in the near future, but probably not until January. I'm in no big rush.

Hey mwhite49,

I assume you meant to type .020" bore, and .011" block deck, and .005" on head deck.

With those numbers, I believe you will want calculate the piston height to deck and the compression change from stock specs, and to order the correct head gasket thickness, right?

Gnarls.

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Dec 05, 2019, 07:30:31 AM »
Gnarly your right. I did type that out wrong. No issue with using a original Toyota head gasket. I verified that with several shops including 22RE Performance who I purchased most of my parts through. And I have turned the engine over while setting the valves. And yes it will increase the compression ratio ca bit.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Dec 05, 2019, 09:13:22 AM »
How can the Smog people ding you for a CARB legal modification?

I wasn't talking about the smog check stations. If you get pulled over in the state of California and you have ANY modifications, including C.A.R.B.  E.O.ed parts, it is illegal. Actually, by the way the law is written, changing the heat range on your plugs is illegal. Get pulled over for a loud exhaust and see how many mods the cop'll write you up for. I got a 'highly modified' note on one of my tickets for a cold air intake. No, the smog shops will allow the mods allowed by they're governing entity, but the CA state vehicle code is not written to recognize such items. Dad says no, mom says yes, you get caught in the middle. The 'law' is the law, DMV has nothing to do with the emissions program and the emissions program is it's own little entity. Typical governmental control.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Dec 05, 2019, 09:14:36 AM »
There's that turtle again! :turtle3: I'm like a cat, GOTTA GET THE TURTLE!! :shocking: Get it! Get it! Got it. Damned evil turtle -5 points. :rivers:

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Dec 05, 2019, 09:25:21 AM »
Which diaphragm blew out in the Aisin carb?

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #53 on: Dec 05, 2019, 10:42:48 AM »
Which diaphragm blew out in the Aisin carb?

Auxiliary Acceleration Pump (AAP) :willynilly:

Gnarls. :gap:

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Dec 05, 2019, 02:24:51 PM »
Ok, why not just replace the $5 diaphragm instead of the whole carb? Especially if it was to pass smog.

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Dec 05, 2019, 02:54:26 PM »
Good question on replacing the CARB. When I got the truck I could tell it was a rebuild carb. At that time I did not know all of the issues with the engine. Looming back the first thing I should have did was run a compression test. And did more research. Know I know the Aisin carbs are OK. And I can still purchase a new one for my Cali truck from Toyota. It was cheaper to get the Weber, or not. Supposedly a company called National CARB does a great job on them. I still have that rebuilt carb boxed up. This motor had 270,000 miles on it with almost zero maintenance. Oil changes were rare I think. Coolant was plain tap water. Almost all hoses were original and not in good condition. It was ready for the junkyard. And Rats had snacked on the wiring. So, I have learned alot on toyota trucks, most helpful are posts by Gnarly and others. After I get it running and smoged then I'll tackle the front knuckles rebuilding them with the Marlin kit. So far I have used only After market pistons with Hasting rings and the front timing cover. Everything else is OEM . I'm surprised by the amount of parts still available from Toyota direct. This truck is an 82 model built in Sept of 81.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #56 on: Dec 06, 2019, 02:29:59 AM »
... I'm surprised by the amount of parts still available from Toyota direct. This truck is an 82 model built in Sept of 81.

I commend and admire anyone who appreciates where the early Toyotas rank in the realm of recent automotive history, and spends the time and money to resurrect or restore any oldy from the past!  :beerchug:

Gnarls.  :clap:

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #57 on: Dec 08, 2019, 04:56:39 AM »
To add more to saving our early Toys.....

I would like to see more of us (the people who love the early Toyota 4x4s) look for, find, and restore the vehicle to a condition before it’s worn out or abused demise.

I don’t like to see a nice early Toyota pickup or 4Runner driven or off-roaded until it is thrashed and bashed to worthlessness.

Over the past 14 years I see, and have photos, of 10s of 100s of early Toy trucks heading to Mexico.  So we, here in the USA, are losing what is left of our early Toyotas to foreign countries.

One of them is "INTON".... spelling issue, or just loaded with a ton of crap.

Once I get my current 1986 ExtrCab restored, I may look for and buy another one that I can restore as a daily driver, and NOT a thrasher basher.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2019, 08:36:32 AM by Gnarly4X »

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Dec 08, 2019, 07:46:27 AM »
I worked in El Paso for 3.5 years on a storm water project. I saw all kinds of iron moving south. Including the complete HOOVER factory that faced I-10 on the West side of town. NAFTA.  And a large percentage of semi trucks, and daily drivers loaded up on flatbed trucks. Sad.

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Dec 27, 2019, 03:45:21 PM »
Well in the effort to Save Money we decided to have the original cast iron manifold head mating surface machined. Cheapest kids have so far is 40.00. Beets a 500 header right now when money is in short supply. Then I can get it running and at lesst pass smog. I have to find a picture editor that will work on my phone to resize pictures so I can post some.
If the Cab were in better condition I would put more money in it. But at some point in its life someone dropped something really heavy almost dead middle of the roof.  I'm going to purchase a stud welder and try my hand at pulling it out. The old owner did some hammering on it but it looks ugly in the rear. Or put a camper shell on it to hide it. A Burqua for a truck.