Author Topic: 2UZFE to R150F swap  (Read 7672 times)

Northboundtundra

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Northbound Tundra
    • View Profile
2UZFE to R150F swap
« on: Sep 21, 2019, 12:26:26 PM »
Has anyone here mated a 2uzfe engine to an r150f transmission? I just swapped out the automatic on my 2uzfe powered tundra and curious to find out about other people who have done this.
2001 A/C Tundra with 2UZFE v8 and R150F 5spd manual transmission swap

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: 2UZFE to R150F swap
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2019, 03:36:35 PM »
Has anyone here mated a 2uzfe engine to an r150f transmission? I just swapped out the automatic on my 2uzfe powered tundra and curious to find out about other people who have done this.
I think you'll have a hell of a time getting that truck to work with a manual. Especially since the platform was never meant to have a manual.
I personally haven't mounted a 2UZ to one, but I am curious like you!
A five speed tundra would be nice, curious how well the R150F holds up.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Northboundtundra [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Northbound Tundra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2019, 07:24:04 PM »
Well I just got the custom driveline installed installed this afternoon and I plan on having it on the road mid next week. Both transmissions use the same transfer case and we’ve built up 400 hp Tacoma’s that have never had a transmission problem so I think it will be fine.

I’d post pictures here but I guess my account is too new to be able to do that. I have build pics on the expedition portal forum under the same username if you want to check it out. I plan on posting a build thread here too so other people who are interested in doing the same thing can check it out.

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2019, 08:06:50 PM »
This is so cool!!

I would love to see a detailed account of the hurdles you crossed along the way... must have been some.

Northboundtundra [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Northbound Tundra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2019, 05:41:49 PM »
This is so cool!!

I would love to see a detailed account of the hurdles you crossed along the way... must have been some.

Thank you! I just got to drive it for the first time today and it feels super peppy with the manual transmission!

I only shifted from 1st to 2nd just to see how it felt because I still have some fabrication work to do on the transmission mount. It wants to go fast, so I might put the Marlin low 1st gear in at some point in the future.

I’ve been taking detailed pictures pretty much the whole way through with the intention of making a detailed tutorial. It’s been difficult not being able to find any information on this so I want to help other people who want to do it. I would post some pictures but I’m not used to blogging on forums and I can’t figure out how to upload an image here. I’ve got another feed going on expedition portal that pictures and my instagram @northboundtundra has pictures too if you want to check it out.

4x4withcheese

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '21
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2021, 03:35:13 PM »
Hey dude I am kind of doing the same thing backwards - wanna put a 2UZ in a 1995 4Runner with the r150f manual trans. Did you have a lot of trouble doing this pairing or was it relatively simple? I’m wondering if I’ll need a different bell housing, if so which one, if you have any advice or tips for pairing the 2UZ with the r150 I could rlly use some help! Thanks. Hope you’re enjoying your build by the way!

joeyf

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 848
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2021, 10:37:01 PM »
They sell about everything you would need to do that swap

https://xatracing.com/1UZ-to-R154-Adapter-Kit.html

:(worstgen4runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2021, 03:25:33 PM »
Hey dude I am kind of doing the same thing backwards - wanna put a 2UZ in a 1995 4Runner with the r150f manual trans. Did you have a lot of trouble doing this pairing or was it relatively simple? I’m wondering if I’ll need a different bell housing, if so which one, if you have any advice or tips for pairing the 2UZ with the r150 I could rlly use some help! Thanks. Hope you’re enjoying your build by the way!

I think the biggest problem you will have is the size of the 2UZ in a small 95 4runner. Will have to do a lot of questionable things to get it to fit lengthwise. A 1UZ would fit a lot better and is also a very good motor.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,223
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2021, 07:20:19 PM »
 :moon:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2021, 01:24:06 PM »
I think the biggest problem you will have is the size of the 2UZ in a small 95 4runner. Will have to do a lot of questionable things to get it to fit lengthwise. A 1UZ would fit a lot better and is also a very good motor.

1uz, 2uz, 3uz are the same thing. I would run it with the auto though. Saves a load of dicking and expense. 2UZ has heaps of torque but trade that off with the weight of the cast block.
They will fit in anything with room to spare.
I hope you like wiring though.

:moon:

That ass of yours is getting around
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2021, 01:44:07 PM »

Several ways of doing it.

If you want cheap easy and reliable, run the auto.

Want expensive...

The average cost of a conversion kit is $2k

Akina Motor sports do a bell housing conversion that has a flywheel, throw out (Toyota Style) with fork and external slave to fit whichever transmission you have, make sure to check the input length.

XAT do a kit that adapts the UZ/A series bellhousing to the R series, again check your input length. Uses a concentric hydraulic slave.
very nicely machined but is equivalent money to the Akina.

Use an auto... bin the chain driven tcase. Torque converter is kinder to the trans and axle shafts and the auto negates the need for dual t cases if you want to crawl with it. Especially if you run the 5 speed A750E as fitted to the 100 series Land Turd and some Tundras, it will be lush on the street and good on fuel.
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

Northboundtundra [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Northbound Tundra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2023, 01:02:28 PM »

Hey that is a totally doable project! The only thing you need that xat doesn’t supply would be the bell housing from the automatic transmission. Otherwise the adapter plate bolts right up and it’s a pretty easy swap. If possible, finding an older style r150f with the gear driven t case would be ideal but mine is the lease desirable chain driven and even though and I’ve had no problems since the install. It’s been installed for about 3 years now and I’m planning on doing manual locking hubs soon and front and rear air lockers.