Author Topic: Whatever happened to Lefty Transfer Cases?  (Read 323 times)

TeamJake

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 221
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Whatever happened to Lefty Transfer Cases?
« on: Sep 16, 2019, 01:13:30 PM »
A lefty was a great option for those of us with driver-side drop transfer cases that wanted the strength, reliability, and gearing options of an RF1A gear-driven transfer case, but did not want to make major modifications required to run the passenger-side drop case. Inchworm, Marlin Crawler, and even Trail Gear all had leftys we could purchase, but all of them went away a few years ago. Now the only way to get one is by finding one second-hand (which is nearly impossible).

Whatever happened to them? I know Inchworm had some big government contract and is doing that full-time now, are they coming back to the transfer-case business when the contract is done? What about Marlin? I believe I would eventually buy one but their disappearance has me concerned.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2019, 02:53:55 PM by TeamJake »

- Sales Employee -

T-Revv

• Hawk
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 443
  • Male Posts: 235
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever happened to Lefty Transfer Cases?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2019, 02:50:14 PM »
Marlin lefty cases were made with inchworm adapters, and they had issues, so Marlin stopped using them.  Selling rights to inchworm was sold to Low Range Offroad, but inchworm was still doing their own machining.  But Im not sure what has happened to Inchworm since Low Range sold to Trail Gear. 
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

TeamJake [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 221
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2019, 03:11:32 PM »
Marlin lefty cases were made with inchworm adapters, and they had issues, so Marlin stopped using them.  Selling rights to inchworm was sold to Low Range Offroad, but inchworm was still doing their own machining.  But Im not sure what has happened to Inchworm since Low Range sold to Trail Gear.

Is Marlin planning to make their own adapters in the future, or are leftys pretty much dead?

- Sales Employee -

T-Revv

• Hawk
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2019, 03:28:45 PM »
Is Marlin planning to make their own adapters in the future, or are leftys pretty much dead?

No plans to make a lefty gear drive case.  The left hand output chain drive cases are pretty strong, and for gearing reduction on those you can use a TacoBox.
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

Wilbur

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2019, 08:35:06 PM »
No plans to make a lefty gear drive case.  The left hand output chain drive cases are pretty strong, and for gearing reduction on those you can use a TacoBox.

Not to bring up an older thread but some of our platforms have limited space which requires some fun times with gas tanks.  It kind of sucks but guess thatís the name of the game with dual cases

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Sales Employee -

T-Revv

• Hawk
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2019, 02:37:06 PM »

Not to bring up an older thread but some of our platforms have limited space which requires some fun times with gas tanks.  It kind of sucks but guess thatís the name of the game with dual cases

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately with the original lefty case there was issues and there has not been a solution for those issues yet, so it doesnt make sense to make a product that isnt right. 
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2019, 03:41:02 PM by T-Revv »