Author Topic: Whatever happened to Lefty Transfer Cases?  (Read 5544 times)

Team_Jake

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 569
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Whatever happened to Lefty Transfer Cases?
« on: Sep 16, 2019, 01:13:30 PM »
A lefty was a great option for those of us with driver-side drop transfer cases that wanted the strength, reliability, and gearing options of an RF1A gear-driven transfer case, but did not want to make major modifications required to run the passenger-side drop case. Inchworm, Marlin Crawler, and even Trail Gear all had leftys we could purchase, but all of them went away a few years ago. Now the only way to get one is by finding one second-hand (which is nearly impossible).

Whatever happened to them? I know Inchworm had some big government contract and is doing that full-time now, are they coming back to the transfer-case business when the contract is done? What about Marlin? I believe I would eventually buy one but their disappearance has me concerned.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2019, 02:53:55 PM by TeamJake »
My '99 4Runner - (thread)

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever happened to Lefty Transfer Cases?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2019, 02:50:14 PM »
Marlin lefty cases were made with inchworm adapters, and they had issues, so Marlin stopped using them.  Selling rights to inchworm was sold to Low Range Offroad, but inchworm was still doing their own machining.  But Im not sure what has happened to Inchworm since Low Range sold to Trail Gear. 
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

Team_Jake [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2019, 03:11:32 PM »
Marlin lefty cases were made with inchworm adapters, and they had issues, so Marlin stopped using them.  Selling rights to inchworm was sold to Low Range Offroad, but inchworm was still doing their own machining.  But Im not sure what has happened to Inchworm since Low Range sold to Trail Gear.

Is Marlin planning to make their own adapters in the future, or are leftys pretty much dead?

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2019, 03:28:45 PM »
Is Marlin planning to make their own adapters in the future, or are leftys pretty much dead?

No plans to make a lefty gear drive case.  The left hand output chain drive cases are pretty strong, and for gearing reduction on those you can use a TacoBox.
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

Wilbur

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2019, 08:35:06 PM »
No plans to make a lefty gear drive case.  The left hand output chain drive cases are pretty strong, and for gearing reduction on those you can use a TacoBox.

Not to bring up an older thread but some of our platforms have limited space which requires some fun times with gas tanks.  It kind of sucks but guess that’s the name of the game with dual cases

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2019, 02:37:06 PM »

Not to bring up an older thread but some of our platforms have limited space which requires some fun times with gas tanks.  It kind of sucks but guess that’s the name of the game with dual cases

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately with the original lefty case there was issues and there has not been a solution for those issues yet, so it doesnt make sense to make a product that isnt right. 
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2019, 03:41:02 PM by T-Revv »

eimkeith

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 6
  • Member since Feb '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • eimkeith.com
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2020, 03:06:51 PM »
Unfortunately with the original lefty case there was issues and there has not been a solution for those issues yet, so it doesnt make sense to make a product that isnt right.

What were the issues?
keith
eimkeith.com
all product descriptions © eimkeith LLC 2016-2023

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2020, 03:41:06 PM »
I'm sorry I misspoke about it not having a solution.  the main problem with them was output shafts breaking, because the modern vehicles (especially 4runners and FJ cruisers) are heavier than older vehicles, so it the factory gear drive output shafts weren't cutting it and the Bobby long output shafts of the time were stronger but did not pump oil so they would burn up.  Marlin Crawler 30 spline shafts solved both of those problems. After speaking with the "head honchos" ;)  , there is a possibility of the lefty case coming back.  Ask and you shall receive.  :clap:  but no for sure answer or timeline. 

eimkeith

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • eimkeith.com
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2020, 04:15:00 PM »
I'm sorry I misspoke about it not having a solution.  the main problem with them was output shafts breaking, because the modern vehicles (especially 4runners and FJ cruisers) are heavier than older vehicles, so it the factory gear drive output shafts weren't cutting it and the Bobby long output shafts of the time were stronger but did not pump oil so they would burn up.  Marlin Crawler 30 spline shafts solved both of those problems. After speaking with the "head honchos" ;)  , there is a possibility of the lefty case coming back.  Ask and you shall receive.  :clap:  but no for sure answer or timeline.

Good to know!  I'm building up my Lefty right now, with Marlin 4.7 in it (behind a stock-geared crawl box) - what else do I need to be aware of, strength-wise?
keith
eimkeith.com

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2020, 03:29:52 PM »
Good to know!  I'm building up my Lefty right now, with Marlin 4.7 in it (behind a stock-geared crawl box) - what else do I need to be aware of, strength-wise?

Nothing, other than that its just like a normal gear drive transfer case, should have no issues.

eimkeith

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • eimkeith.com
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2020, 06:01:18 PM »
so just to clarify; these starvation issues aren't attributed to clocking, per se?
keith
eimkeith.com

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:09:45 AM »
so just to clarify; these starvation issues aren't attributed to clocking, per se?

Sure, if you clock it far enough you can starve it of oil. Tcases aren't designed to run sideways or upside down.  I personally wouldn't go more than about 10-15°. 

Team_Jake [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2020, 05:55:23 PM »
there is a possibility of the lefty case coming back.

That’s what I like to hear!!