Author Topic: 82 4x4 Calif smog  (Read 1286 times)

mwhite49

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
82 4x4 Calif smog
« on: Sep 12, 2019, 09:04:36 PM »
I have an 82 and that tube that's made of a rare metal called ununatanium,  as they can't be found leaks. Mine leaked so bad it ate the Asian carb. And how it did it was dumping exhaust into the best riser tube and then into the carb. BBQued carb.
So I found out that the later pulse air systemsvshould fit this 22r, the manifold will and the rest could be made to work. Does this sound practicable or not? My only other recourse is a header that's CARB legal like LCE sells but the you still have to install that Rare tube. Or pay a welder to make one up. Maybe use the newer manifold with my old system injecting air through the newer tube but make an adapter to go from the old system to the new piping.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 535
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Re: 82 4x4 Calif smog
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2019, 10:41:32 AM »
Not exactly sure what tube you are talking about, just can't picture it. I might have one. As for installing the later pulse air injection here  in Cali, no go, not original equipment, you have to have the air pump system. Might be able to use the later air injection tube/manifold set up as long as you maintain the rest of the air injection pump system. I will warm you though that the smog Nazis here in Cali will fail it for not being "original equipment" even though it does the same job. I know, I ran that on my '83 and ended up having to source a mani and log that was proper for an '83.

Most confusing thing is how the air injection BBQed the carb. Can't see that happening unless you had a fuel leak or maybe using an aftermarket air cleaner assy. that would allow a lot of fuel vapor to congregate in the area of the leaking air injection tube.

Where are you located? Town wise, Maybe someone close could give a hand. I frequent Fresno and San Luis Obispo areas.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3687
  • Male Posts: 2,847
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2019, 11:50:05 AM »
Is it the tube that uses coolant to warm the carb during cold starts??
Time to go wheelin!

mwhite49 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2019, 09:40:30 PM »
I'm in Camarillo, Ventura County about halfway between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara.
The tub I need is the one that injects air into to exhaust manifold. It bolts up to the top of the manifold. Hssbtwo ports. No aftermarket makers are making these.
LCE makes a nice CARB certified model but then you have to purchase the adapter kit and use the same log on top. I'm going to check and see if I can get a buddy that welds tubing to make me a new one. If he can then I'll have it made about 6 inches longer so that you can get to it. Really not much too it. Maybe 36 inches of stainless pipe , 2 flat pieces for bolt up tabs and attach the backfire valve to it.
Mine was leaking so bad that the exhaust gases were going into the top of the carb from the heat riser. This blew out a vacum diafram on n the side of the carb facing the head. This let raw fuel into the vacum hose creating an ostrich mixture. I'm surprised it did not catch fire. It had sat in a field for 2 years when the owner gave it to me.

gatoryote

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2019, 10:53:52 AM »
Junkyard find, i have an 86 with the air injection. my 22r was desmogged. im currently tuning the carb. i also was able to get the air injection at the junkyard. i think it cost me $20 or $40. If i see another one there next time i go i can grab if you still need.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 535
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2019, 02:20:57 PM »
I HAD the tube you need, but I tossed all the pieces associated with my '81 when I got rid of it. Would have given that to you if it were there.

Ostrich? mixture?? Over rich maybe? Auto correct is great.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.