Author Topic: 1986 IFS, 1 ton??  (Read 1629 times)

jplug2007

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
1986 IFS, 1 ton??
« on: Aug 22, 2019, 09:52:19 AM »
Hi everyone,
New to the forum but it looks like it's going to be a great help. I'm not the greatest with a computer and it will take me some time to figure out how to not ask questions or post in the wrong places. I have restored 77 and earlier Bronco's, LOTS of Jeeps, British Motorcycles and race sleds from the 70's. I raced snowmobiles through the 70's so I'm no Spring chicken anymore I have always wanted an early Toyota P/U but it's almost unheard of to find one in Upstate NY that isn't just a pile of rust. Of course lots of snow = tons of salt up here. In any case, I have found an 86, IFS that was a cab and chassis only from the factory. A commercial steel flat bed/stake rack was installed when new. I saw something somewhere about a 1 ton version of this truck with single of dual wheel rear end I think. This has a 22 RE and 5 speed. I already own it but was wondering A) was there a 1 ton version and B) is there any easy way to tell. Big rear leaf pack on it but that could of been added for bed. It was never registered and was used on one of the " Great Camps" up here by the caretaker for chores. I figure I may have one more restoration in me but have to find point A to plan it.
Sorry if I'm in the wrong spot but I tried some searches and couldn't turn anything up. Looking forward to talking to you guys in the future and thanks for any info.
jplug2007

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
Re: 1986 IFS, 1 ton??
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2019, 02:28:33 PM »
I have only personally seen the 1 ton in a 2wd version, but that doesn't mean that a 4wd version was never built. I am sorry to say that I’ve never been close enough to a 1 ton model to see what the differences were between the standard 1/2 ton and 1 ton model were.   
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2019, 03:32:20 PM »
 Welcome to the board and to the world of Toyota's.

The answer to your question is yes, there were 1 ton versions of the '84-'88 truck body styling, which is known in the 4x4 world as a 2nd gen, do it being the 2nd generation to be sold as both 2wd and 4wd, 1st gen is '79-'83.

The information you found about 1 ton Toys coming w/dual rear wheels is also correct, all single wheeled rear axles are half tons, the larger spring pack was likely built to support the heavy flatbed.  The factory 1 ton wheels have 6 on 8.5" lug pattern, and were normally sold as with matching front and rear, as on this truck here

Though, it appears that the conversion market, mismatched them, as the 2wd motorhomes come with the larger lug pattern, as well as the rear 1 ton pattern and standard 5 lug front, and the 4x4 version with the rear dual wheels have the standard 6 lug front.

Outside of the dual axle, and the larger wheel pattern on the front of 2wd's, everything else on the 1 tons and 1/2 tons is the same.

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

jplug2007 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2019, 07:41:27 AM »
Thanks for the help on this truck. First it is a 4 X 4 IFS Here are a few more details that I have found on Inet. Not sure about accuracy because they were kind of obscure and contradictory in some cases. I read that the rear brakes were 11" and that it has a larger diff in it. This truck does not have dual wheels and nor does it have the Budd like rims in your picture. It is the standard x cab truck with stock alloy rims. This all makes me think it is a regular 1/2 ton cab / chassis that had a larger spring pack installed to accomadate the flat bed which is a commercial build of steel and has to weigh quite a bit. I have not been able to pull a rear wheel or even get under the truck enough to check some of this info out but I learn stuff by digging and this truck has me obsessed at this point!!!!. Does the brake and diff info seem accurate to anyone  I read 11" diff??? but that seems odd, by eyeball it does look larger than 1/2 ton. So basically does any of this ring a bell with anyone? I really don't want to get into anything where parts are a problem and there is no way I am up to an axle swap anymore. The plan was to just have a driver with a little mud and play capability plus a cool factor.
As is pretty common, my leg is too screwed up right now to do something as simple as crawl under there right now. Plus a couple of flats don't help either
I wish I could do a better job here but I haven't even got it home yet but will this week.
So in a nutshell can anyone else come up with any more telling factors/features that might help with my research. I sort of have the cart ahead of the horse here at this point
Thanks for what you have provided so at least I am certain a 1 ton was built.
Thanks guys

camhays556

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 498
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2019, 08:25:15 AM »
Not sure if this helps but my rear axle in my 4runner was out of a Toyota dually (not sure what year), it had an 8" diff but was full float. The previous owner converted it to run fj80 hubs so it had discs in the rear.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2019, 03:57:26 PM »
I believe the 1 ton had a single rear wheel available.

I can look at the sales brochure when I get home for an 86...…………………….

(currently out of town)
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2019, 12:30:05 AM »
With what it was bought to do, I am going to guess it is likely just a half ton, you will be able to tell by the lug bolt pattern when you get it home.  If somehow it isn't, you could likely still find parts for the axle.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

jplug2007 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2019, 09:11:15 AM »
Hey, Everybody, Thanks for the help on this new project. Not sure how far we can go with it yet, but I at least have a vision. It's probably going to sit awhile until I finish my last Jeep a 1998 XJ Cherokee Sport. Nothing radical like I would of done in my younger days but a nice dual purpose ride. Just a little to do still but for me a little can take awhile. Really looking forward to getting into the new Toy but won't be able to get it in shop till snows starts flying so better make the plan and start in Spring. You guys out West have no idea how long I have kept an eye out for a good one here is Salt country, they just don't exist here anymore. Looking forward to getting familiar with the site and "pickin" you guys brains.
Thanks and look forward to chatting with some of you.
JPLUG

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2019, 09:22:44 AM »
There are definitely single rear wheel 1 ton trucks. Ive only seen them in 2wd.  They have bigger springs and use a v6 diff.
hold this. . .