Author Topic: Kinpachi Overheated on Me Kinda  (Read 1785 times)

Grimmjow

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Kinpachi Overheated on Me Kinda
« on: Aug 11, 2019, 12:14:44 PM »
If you guys have followed me I have a rebuilt 22re engine with a completely new top end. Last night when I got home from a long drive I noticed a gargling noise from under the hood. Sure enough it was spitting into the overfill. The thermometer never read hot, just normal operating temps. Well today I have been running diagnostics on it and may have found the culprit. When cold the fan clutch ha ssome resistance but when at op temp it free spins by hand. I would think its went bad on me. I did mess up maybe and stored it flat side down while the truck was down for a couple months. What are your thoughts? Thanks

Grimmjow [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Kinpachi Overheated on Me Kinda
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2019, 12:23:22 PM »
Just ran a second test I found on here. It will hold a piece of paper against the radiator at op temp but I can stop and hold it pretty easily with a screwdriver.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,222
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2019, 12:51:32 PM »
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1946478&cc=1277861&jsn=802

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=476010&cc=1277861&jsn=803

Either one will work fine.

How new is the thermostat?

Are you running 50/50 anti-freeze with distilled water?

If your temp gauge is not registering "HOT"... something is wrong.  Hot gurgling coolant indicates the system may not be closed (leaking somewhere), could be bad radiator cap, and the coolant is probably above 200d F.  :yikes:

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2019, 12:58:52 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Grimmjow [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2019, 02:03:25 PM »
New thermostat Gnarls. I think the cap could be bad, I see how if it wasn't holding 13lbs it would release into the catch can. Let me buy a new one then update.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Grimmjow [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2019, 02:32:15 PM »
Gotcha, I already bought just the plain Stanton lol. Well just noticed one more thing, while at idle my heat is a little weak but gets super hot while driving. Already checked the oil for water and its clean. Checked fluid levels in engine and there right on the money. Also no oil in water and no exhaust smoke or residue. I am pretty sure it puked the coolant out. I beginning to think my new water pump is garbage lol. I am getting a small squeak up front but I believe it's the adjustable idler pulley on the power steering belt. I will get one and see if the squeal goes away. If not it's the new water pump.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2019, 02:45:53 PM »
I am getting a small squeak up front but I believe it's the adjustable idler pulley on the power steering belt. I will get one and see if the squeal goes away. If not it's the new water pump.

How many miles on the water pump?  A squeak is a warning!  Try to isolate and find the source of the squeak.  I blew my engine in 2013 because I thought the squeal was the pulley... it was the water pump and started leaking on the freeway.... toasted the engine.

Just FYI.... Also, running straight water is not a good idea.  Anti-freeze has a lubricating property (ethylene glycol), and I believe helps keep the water pump shaft lubricated.

Gnarls.

Grimmjow [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2019, 11:12:11 PM »
Water pump is new. I do have 50/50 coolant. Since it's a new build I will check to make sure I still have 58 ft lbs on the head bolts as well. But before that I will do a leak down test.

Grimmjow [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 13, 2019, 01:29:47 PM »
Well since I installed the new radiator cap everything has been peachy. I dont think it was overheating before just pulling from a weak radiator cap coupled with a new water pump.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee