Author Topic: In other news....... First Comp ten days away.  (Read 271 times)

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 896
  • Member since Jan '14
  • I dont even have a Toyota
    • Buy me some coffee
In other news....... First Comp ten days away.
« on: Aug 09, 2019, 11:34:29 AM »
In other news i have decided its time i started competing in motorsport thus giving you an opportunity to see what goes on over here.
Whilst it may not be Ultra 4 (that happens over here but is somewhat limp compared to the Hammers) its still challenging and because its at clubman level it still remains a good day out and giggle for all involved.
You will not be likely to see anything with over 30" tyres in this discipline because they have not been needed in the 60 odd years the sport has been running however the sport is changing and they will creep in over the coming years.

So i present to you CCV trials (competition class vehicle) there is another  RTV which is Road Taxed Vehicle trials, but with dwindling turn outs i have grown tired of setting out for the club.

It works like this, there are classes from 1 to 10; 1,2,3 being RTV and the remainder CCV. its classed by wheel base, the shortest being 80" up to 100" and over. class 10 is 'unlimited' which might have dumper tyres, diff locks and fiddle brakes.

I will be running class 8 or 9 i forget which.

The name of the game is to get the lowest score possible.
'sections' consist of 12 gates numbered 12-1. You cannot hit a gate, reverse (unless wheelbase is over 100", then it will be 1 vehicle length of reverse in one maneuver per section) , cross tracks between consecutive gates, divert from the driven line or stop whilst on section.

Trials will consist of 8 to 10 sections per day (some are weekend events)

99% of trials vehicles will be landrover based cause theres a millon of the damn things, however there are a few tube frames creeping in but still based on a landrover.  :screwy: theres also a few fall over machines but even they are going the way of the dodo.

So this is what i have just purchased.

Its based on an old Range Rover frame with Buick based rover v8 on carbs, backed by a TF727 and a Series 2 Transfer case. The front axle is a 24 Spline Rover and the rear is a Salisbury which is a Dana 60 centre made under licence by GKN albeit with 24 splines which is kinda pointless really, it also has an ARB in the rear.

Its not the best for what i will be doing with it but its complete and ready to go. It does not comply with ALRC rules (ALRC is the Association of Land Rover Clubs which has its own set of trialling rules that require the trials car to be of Land Rover shape an have Land Rover/Rover/British Leyland drivetrain, essentially it is a spec class such as maybe sportsman Ultra 4?) so i can cut it up and modify it how i please. It was cheaper to buy one than to build one so thats what i have done.

First competitive event is at the end of August, so i will take some pictures as i make a complete richard of myself.
Im automatically at a disadvantage due to my 93" wheelbase and 205/80/16 tyres.
I mean in the meantime if i have time to make modifications i will do but dont bank on it.

I picked it up today the 9th but have been around this particular vehicle for near ten years.
It belonged to a fella that has travelled the length of Africa in his 110 Defender solo, he bought it because when the delirium of the trip had died down he got bored, now wants to go travelling again so the toy had to go, hence where i stepped in

The rollcage is to MSA spec and is based again on the Land Rover type thing.

I noticed a few things loading and unloading off the trailer, needs a transmission mount, steering arm is loose, seat is too small for my slender frame, tyres are not their best and it definitely needs all the moss and leaves washing out of the passenger compartment.

Is not being overtaken by weeds as that's where i just parked it, it does however have an Ash tree growing out of the passenger seat. I am Groot.
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2019, 12:38:16 AM by LittleSteve »
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Bydd eich meddylfryd cul yn eich cicio i fyny'r asyn

Mae'r dyfodol yn drydan

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 954
  • Male Posts: 1,567
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • My build thread
Re: In other news.......
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2019, 12:25:50 PM »
Looks like a suitable vehicle. Do you have to then trailer it to the events?
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-te turbo diesel with custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

LittleSteve [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2019, 12:53:48 AM »
Looks like a suitable vehicle. Do you have to then trailer it to the events?
Yeah i have a trailer specifically for it, that also needs a little work.

Mae'r dyfodol yn drydan

LittleSteve [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2019, 01:03:34 AM »
I spent most of the evening for one reason and another thinking about what to do with the trialer. The list is becoming long and distinguished
that will have to wait till off season. We have 4 events remaining to take us to November then the grinder can come out, whatever one of them is.

The Carbs could do with a fettle, idles a little fast and feel like its gonna rip the transmission off it mountings when you pull a gear but i havent touched a carb in ten years. Phone calls were placed, bargains were made now we wait.

I need to get it on the lift, probably Friday this coming week where i will probably find out all the shaft joints are goosed, the radius arms are hanging off and theres a dead rat holding the transmission in.

I think this arvo i will douse the cockpit in TFR and dissolve all the greenery and probably pull the seats that are too wide for my slender frame.
I will also clean the window so i can put a phone holder/go pro mount on it for vidjao and such.
It has luxuries compared to most trialers, a windscreen, wipers and a cabin heater no less. Most dont even have a roof.

Mae'r dyfodol yn drydan

LittleSteve [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2019, 12:21:00 PM »
It was going so well.

Faults so far:
1) Overheated driving round property.
1a) Alternator belt so loose could turn water pump pulley with no effort
1b) Water level low, rad only half full.. because the left side tank is falling off.
1c) Only one fan operating... because the others blade has fell of its drive spigot

2) Temp gauge dodgy.
3) Shifter stiff.
4) Seats are too small....
5) Fire extinguisher strapped into holder, oh im already on fire...
6) Steering wheel too low. Knock oneself in the nuts when turning agressively.
7) Idles too fast,

Fixed the idle.. choke cable had come away from where it was supposed to be.
Will pull the seats and radiator tomorrow and get started. Long weekend event is only 2 weeks away.
May have too change the harnesses as well as they are stiff and the adjusters are rusty.

Trying so desperately hard not to take it all to :pokinit: :hammerhead:

Mae'r dyfodol yn drydan

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • My build thread
« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2019, 12:59:41 PM »
Keep it running. During the season you must commit to yourself that it must operational during the season unless catastrophe strikes.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-te turbo diesel with custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird

LittleSteve [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2019, 02:29:57 PM »
Keep it running. During the season you must commit to yourself that it must operational during the season unless catastrophe strikes.

I will, it will get a thorough testing the weekend of the end of August as it not only has the CCV to deal with but i (like a tit) volunteered it for the Tyro so it may well see 4 drivers (maybe 5)
Tyro being a beginners event where the inexperienced can have a go to see if they like it, so imagine me driving, wife, wife's twin, and my buddy who has never driven a 4x4. Admittedly its fairly easy over relatively flat ground but wierder :pokinit: has happened, we'll see how it goes. moreover we will see if the truck can stand up to the abuse.

Mae'r dyfodol yn drydan

LittleSteve [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: In other news....... First Comp ten days away.
« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2019, 09:43:34 AM »
Pulled the rad last night and the water that came out of it was brown.

Rad itself was easy to remove except where the lower locating pins had stuck in the crossmember, needed a prybar to bust it free.
As for weight, i think there may be half a field in it.
That will be off for repair today, or renewal depending upon how it goes  :shake_head:

Had the call radiator shot, blocked up and tanks leaking.
230 to fix.

Mae'r dyfodol yn drydan

LittleSteve [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Aug 18, 2019, 01:12:33 PM »
Given a rad by a friend from a V8 90. Which didnt fit so out came the tools

Done so much car work recently ive had to have a word with myself.

The 1/4 plate under the mounts is to cover some badly covered frame holes and where its gone a little thin.
With a friend i have decided that this is a Classic Range rover chassis from the way it has been shortened and what bracketry is where or in fact where it is not.

Also pulled the seats out and have washed a great deal of the greenery and detritus that has gathered as the previous owner clearly didnt give a :pokinit:.

These are roto moulded buckets seats, the same process as used to make your safari snorkel. they are light, easy to mount and cheap at 120 a pair.

Only downside is that they are wider,(obviously as why else would i be fitting them) which means the cacked door handle is no longer useable. I took no photos of the abortion that was on it, I cut them off and threw them straight in the scrap.

Also have a new top hose that needs to be cut to accept the fan switch housing.

Making slow progress and getting annoyed at such things as not having the correct size hoseclips to hold the hoses on. What kind of shop is this?
Will attack it tomorrow with renewed vigour and see what i can get done. Fans still need mounting and im not entirely convinced the rad doesnt leak, its not new lets face it.

Mae'r dyfodol yn drydan

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • My build thread
« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2019, 12:03:11 PM »
Is it done yet?

Also I dont speak Welsh. What does that mean? :headscratch:

LittleSteve [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • Buy me some coffee
Is it done yet?

Also I dont speak Welsh. What does that mean? :headscratch:

I cant say, Im sure i have told you before.

and no its not done yet, it is however, further on than it was.
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2019, 01:44:33 PM by LittleSteve »

Mae'r dyfodol yn drydan

LittleSteve [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • Buy me some coffee
I filled it with water and its pissing out everywhere. need more hoseclips.
Back at it again tomorrow...

Mae'r dyfodol yn drydan