Author Topic: A Few Questions  (Read 2541 times)

un4seen4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 276
  • Male Posts: 25
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Slowyota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
A Few Questions
« on: Aug 06, 2019, 09:18:50 PM »
So I have figured out a few things on my pickup that need to be take care of, the previous owner set it up well but kinda neglected it when he got bored of it. I do have some question/asking for advice. (its going to be a long post)

shot list on the truck:
88 3L xtra cab
marlin R150F, MC Tcases 2.28/4.7, 84 sas with 5.29s arbs high steer, and 37"s

Me as a wheeler: Ive been in Nissans for my whole wheeling adventure up till now. Current Xterra is on 35s dual locked the whole works, Ill take it up stuff people say its impossible for an IFS to go on, Im very conservative on the trail easy on the throttle and have never broken a CV in the X.

First one: stock or after market knuckles?

Looks like the previous owner had broken a knuckle stud and just filled the hole/void with RTV, idk if this was out of laziness or the threads in the knuckle are stripped. Haven't pulled and cleaned it up to see/replace. I plan on rebuilding the knuckles this fall so do I just find a factory knuckle and upgrade it or go to a 6 stud and be done with it

Second: PS pump.
This one is a quick one. On 37s do I keep the factory style 88 IFS PS pump or replace it? Thankfuly the truck already has steel PS couplings and a nice HP line, with a cooler.

3rd and last: Break MC
FJ80 or...?

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
Re: A Few Questions
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2019, 09:54:07 PM »
Have any pics of the Xterra on 35s?

For the knuckles, I run ARP studs. Never had a problem on 35s. You can also do the 5th stud mod, with or without ARP studs. Front range offroad offers keyed arms/knuckles (I think this is the strongest option). While you're messing with the knuckles check out Marlins 25mm upgrade. 
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

un4seen4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Slowyota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2019, 07:01:57 AM »
Have any pics of the Xterra on 35s?

For the knuckles, I run ARP studs. Never had a problem on 35s. You can also do the 5th stud mod, with or without ARP studs. Front range offroad offers keyed arms/knuckles (I think this is the strongest option). While you're messing with the knuckles check out Marlins 25mm upgrade.

Ill have to check them out. i must admit its kinda nice having all the options for parts vs like 2 for the Xs

heres a few from moab.

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2019, 12:01:31 PM »

First one: stock or after market knuckles?

Looks like the previous owner had broken a knuckle stud and just filled the hole/void with RTV, idk if this was out of laziness or the threads in the knuckle are stripped. Haven't pulled and cleaned it up to see/replace. I plan on rebuilding the knuckles this fall so do I just find a factory knuckle and upgrade it or go to a 6 stud and be done with it

6 stud knuckles is a bandaid.  studs break because of movement in the knuckle that putting side load on the stud, snapping it off.  2 things that help with that: first and most important, just check the torque on your steering arm nuts occasionally, should be around 70 ft lbs.  Second, as toyodaaddict suggested, 25mm pins.  The larger pin and bearing, help eliminate some of the side to side innate motion in the knuckle plus is just larger stronger pin.  Given the 6 stud arm can apply more pressure through 6 studs to help keep the arm tight, but still needs to be checked for torque, and only uses a 17mm steering pin.

Second: PS pump.
This one is a quick one. On 37s do I keep the factory style 88 IFS PS pump or replace it? Thankfuly the truck already has steel PS couplings and a nice HP line, with a cooler.

Stock pump with a cooler should be fine.  Thats what Marlin, Mike and most other people at the shop use, and have no problems.  If you are looking for an upgrade, PSC makes a High Output Pump for a little more pressure, but as long as the pump is still working good I'd just leave it. 

3rd and last: Break MC
FJ80 or...?

Yes.  The FJ80 brake master cylinder is a great upgrade.  But it has to be the right FJ80 Application, the US model FJ80 brake master cylinder has a different electrical connection.  the proper one can be found at https://www.marlincrawler.com/brake/master-cylinder/big-bore-fj80-brake-master-cylinder

"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

un4seen4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Slowyota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2019, 08:15:08 PM »
6 stud knuckles is a bandaid.  studs break because of movement in the knuckle that putting side load on the stud, snapping it off.  2 things that help with that: first and most important, just check the torque on your steering arm nuts occasionally, should be around 70 ft lbs.  Second, as toyodaaddict suggested, 25mm pins.  The larger pin and bearing, help eliminate some of the side to side innate motion in the knuckle plus is just larger stronger pin.  Given the 6 stud arm can apply more pressure through 6 studs to help keep the arm tight, but still needs to be checked for torque, and only uses a 17mm steering pin.

Stock pump with a cooler should be fine.  Thats what Marlin, Mike and most other people at the shop use, and have no problems.  If you are looking for an upgrade, PSC makes a High Output Pump for a little more pressure, but as long as the pump is still working good I'd just leave it. 

Yes.  The FJ80 brake master cylinder is a great upgrade.  But it has to be the right FJ80 Application, the US model FJ80 brake master cylinder has a different electrical connection.  the proper one can be found at https://www.marlincrawler.com/brake/master-cylinder/big-bore-fj80-brake-master-cylinder

Thinking about the mechanics of the knuckles more, the 25mm upgrade makes more sense than shelling out for 6 stud knuckles. thanks TRevv and toyodaaddict

The truck is kinda a ride it till it dies/breaks so pump is staying in :D

Ill put the 80 MC on the list then
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2019, 08:28:18 AM by un4seen4 »

un4seen4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Slowyota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2019, 10:31:26 AM »
o and heres the truck,

did a little work on it yesterday and looks like my one missing stud was indeed broken and he had attempted to drill/easy out it breaking the bit in the stud in the process and destroying the threaded portion of the knuckle so looks like im going to have to find a pair of knuckles to rebuild. i imagine that someone here has a pair so 6 posts to go till i can post in the wanted section lol

un4seen4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Slowyota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Aug 09, 2019, 10:32:18 AM »
is it bad form to spam posts to get to that 11?

cbeers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4368
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 09, 2019, 11:10:51 AM »

[/quote]

Trev i bought this from mc but the electrical isn't compatible with my 85?

CB

un4seen4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Slowyota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Aug 09, 2019, 12:36:22 PM »
 :thumbs:

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 09, 2019, 01:20:25 PM »
I have never done any of the brake upgrades, I really need to though.  On the MC, cant you just cut the plug off the old cap and attach it to the new cap?

Also, dont these brake upgrades need to be done together? Master cylinder, booster, v6 ifs calipers, fj60 rotors?
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

un4seen4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Slowyota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Aug 09, 2019, 01:50:06 PM »
i would think the splice in on the sensor would be the easy way