Author Topic: New MC Clutch Slipping  (Read 6045 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: New MC Clutch Slipping
« Reply #30 on: Aug 09, 2019, 05:02:42 AM »
Anytime you put a new clutch you should have the flywheel re-surfaced, also make sure it have the right step machined in it, I cannot remember what size step Marlin machined into mine!!

According to MC site, the step on the MCCL-222A flywheel is stock .0197".

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #31 on: Aug 09, 2019, 05:17:04 AM »
Just thinking out loud….

The slipping appears to be insufficient contact clamping pressure.  The step dimension on the flywheel can affect how much clamping pressure the pressure plate springs exert on the clutch disc when the pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel.

Could the pressure plate be defective?  :dunno:

Gnarls. :inthedark:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

dtc81 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Aug 09, 2019, 05:23:11 AM »
I agree with you, it seems to be insufficient clamping pressure. It’s interesting it feels exactly the same between the “old” clutch and pressure plate as well as the new clutch and pressure plate. The only constant between the two is the flywheel and throw out/pilot bearings.

I realize any time you do a clutch you’re supposed to replace all bearings and flywheel etc. but these were done 10k miles ago and looked and felt brand new.

I’m starting to lean towards flywheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtc81 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Aug 09, 2019, 02:50:22 PM »
Welp. I’m an idiot. I had a friend drive it who is a Toyota tech and he said it’s not clutch- it’s engine. He noticed and felt all the same things I did and said he can see at first thought how I thought clutch, but he says there’s a misfire somewhere along the line. Not bad enough to throw a CEL, but enough to mask itself as other issues. Haven’t done plugs/wires in almost 50k, and I think I’ll start there.

I guess I should stick to fabricating and leave the diagnosing to the pros!

Thank you for all the help.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #34 on: Aug 10, 2019, 06:19:50 AM »
Welp. I’m an idiot. I had a friend drive it who is a Toyota tech and he said it’s not clutch- it’s engine. He noticed and felt all the same things I did and said he can see at first thought how I thought clutch, but he says there’s a misfire somewhere along the line. Not bad enough to throw a CEL, but enough to mask itself as other issues. Haven’t done plugs/wires in almost 50k, and I think I’ll start there.

I guess I should stick to fabricating and leave the diagnosing to the pros!

Thank you for all the help.

Well, I’m glad you got it figured out.   :thumbs:

Diagnosing something to a cause and a fix can be frustrating.  :disturbed:

A slipping clutch is usually very evident and the cause is typically only a few things, so I was very baffled why the cause could not be readily diagnosed.   :smack:

I am surprised that an engine mis-fire could be perceived as a slipping clutch?  :dunno:

A couple of interesting things I’ve learned after being on multiple web forums during the past 20 years is that trying to diagnose something in textual communications can be very difficult.  The other thing is everyone has a different perspective, experience, skill set, and of course the ever popular anecdotal opinion.  :yesnod:

Regarding “maintenance”..... 50K miles for me would be about 3 years!  :yikes:

I would never go that long for spark plugs, wires, cap & rotor!!  :willynilly:

But, I’m a big believer in periodic and preventative maintenance on my vehicles, and I’m fortunate enough to be able to do most of it myself.  :blah:

Gnarls. :greengrin:

dtc81 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Aug 10, 2019, 12:46:06 PM »
The thing that was throwing me off is when you’d roll on throttle the revs would jump and then kind of hang and jump- but not “feel” like it was going forward.

Anytime you would lug the engine in a tall gear or from a stop it was mildly sputtering but “felt” like it was slipping.

You’re absolutely right- hard to describe via text.

Generally I’m much more proactive about general maintenance. Full log of every oil change, air filters, tb/wp etc. Just missed the plugs. Life gets crazy!

Hopefully get it sorted out Tuesday when plugs and wires come in at the dealer.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #36 on: Aug 10, 2019, 02:13:24 PM »
..... Life gets crazy!
   :yupyup:

Hopefully get it sorted out Tuesday when plugs and wires come in at the dealer.

Yeah....  for me dropping the tranny is 2nd only to pulling an engine for the most painful and frustrating work I have to do on my vehicles!!  :thumbdown:

Gnarls.  :gap: