Author Topic: IFS power steering issue  (Read 1336 times)

MrBooyay

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 52
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Slow and steady
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
IFS power steering issue
« on: Jul 22, 2019, 10:58:09 AM »
So I've scoured the boards, and google, and I can't find ANYTHING about the issue I'm having. I found one video, but it was on an early 00's Honda so it wasn't much help seeing as the verdict was the rack and pinion.

Here's my issue:

1984 Toyota pickup, 22R that I put a hi-steer kit on, I bought an IFS power gear box off Ebay from an early 90s 4x4, got it all hooked up, filled it with new power steering fluid, and as soon as I tried to turn the steering wheel I proceeded to watch the steering wheel induce itself into a series of convulsive seizures. Turned it off immediately, checked everything, fluid level, made sure lines were hooked up correctly ( they only go on one way) and tried again. Same thing, it just grabbed and maxed out to the left, or right, depending on which way you initially turned it, and then would bounce back and forth violently. After trying a few more times I decided to just let it go and see what happened, and it didn't take long before it blew the seal where the steering shaft spline comes out of the IFS box and covered the engine bay with power steering fluid.

After thinking and talking to some friends, i figured I had just lost the Ebay gamble and was given a shitty IFS box, so I went back on the hunt and about a month or two ago I found a local guy parting out a first gen 4runner, and there it was! The IFS power gear box, ( and front drive shaft ) for 80 bucks, not bad. I go and get them, and last night I finally had the chance to put it put together and try it out.

NEW FLUID
FLUSHED LINES
NEW IFS BOX
NEW FEELINGS OF JOY AND EXCITEMENT THAT ILL BE DRIVING MY TRUCK TODAY

AND BOOM,  SAME freakin' THING.

I've talked to people, Ive searched the internet. The only thing I could find that was semi-related was, as I mentioned, an early 00's Honda that had a bad steering rack, but the steering wheel acted the same way mine is, but I don't have a steering rack, so now I'm thinking either it's not the IFS box, or I just have :pokinit: luck and I've now bought TWO shitty IFS boxs'.

Is there anyone on here that has encountered this problem? Could it be that my pump is not rated for the IFS box? Could it be a shitty pump? Or is it definitely another bad IFS box?
Or am I missing something painfully obvious? :headscratch: :headscratch:

Any help is appreciated.

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: IFS power steering issue
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2019, 12:11:03 PM »
Is this happening with the wheels on the ground?
Can you cycle the box full left and right without the pump running?
Almost sounds like water hammer symptoms.  Are you bled good?
hold this. . .

MrBooyay [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Slow and steady
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2019, 12:16:34 PM »
Wheels are off the ground, and it cycles left to right fine without the pump hooked up. And its been emptied out and had new fluid put into it.

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2019, 12:30:00 PM »
Its not really going to bleed properly off the ground.

Fill system. Cycle a few times on jacks.
Lower truck until tires touch enough to drag but not fully lowered. (more than you would want on your foot).
Fire and SLOWLY cycle steering.

If the fluid gets too aerated you'll want to come back tomorrow.  ;)
hold this. . .

MrBooyay [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Slow and steady
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2019, 02:51:07 PM »
Quick update, yesterday I put half a gallon of fresh power steering fluid through the pump and gear box, but then I stripped high pressure line going into the gear box, so now I'm waiting for a new line.