Author Topic: Making and 89 Crawler More Road Friendly  (Read 1252 times)

Josey1972

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4
  • Member since Jul '19
  • If not bar crawling' I'm crawlin' with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Making and 89 Crawler More Road Friendly
« on: Jul 15, 2019, 02:22:24 PM »
I bought an awesome 1989 single cab crawler with twin sticks, 22re, bobbed bed, caged etc.... As far as I know its spent most of its life as a trail only truck but it is street legal. The PO trailered it wherever he went. I am the kind of person that likes to drive his truck to the trails. An Ultimate Adventure kind of reliable vehicle. I have a built 80 series so I'm not new to Toys, just new to mini-truck crawlers....

So, I have a few items Id like to see if anyone has some input on:

1. The front drive shaft is square tube. I know its the poor mans tough shaft. It is not a DC. So, for road use, many miles of driving should I move to a DC shaft? The LC guy in me says yes but if I don't have to spend the money then I wont. Cant find opinions for one or the other in the threads.
2. Any other suggestions to make it reliable for longer drives but maintaining capability are appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time. I have had the truck a week and cant wait to get out there but it needs some love first.
1989 Single Cab Crawler with the do-dads. 1992 80 Series, well built. 2000 100 series. Tundra

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: Making and 89 Crawler More Road Friendly
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2019, 02:47:16 PM »
If you don't have dual cases, you need a DC front.
As far as drivability.
Selectable rear locker.
Dialed in suspension.
Tires appropriate for mixed driving.
Good radiator win oe manual fan.
Good seats.
Good brakes.
hold this. . .

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2019, 03:55:38 PM »
The front shaft doesnt turn while on the road, unless your hubs are locked.

I have always driven my stuff to the trail. I dont own a trailer.
Make sure your brakes are good, all oil's/fluids fresh, nuts/bolts are tight and keep up on preventative maintenance.  Bring your tool box.

The cage may bring some unwanted attention. Anything you can do to keep the truck looking like it belongs on the road will help keep the police away.  Run good mudflaps and keep tires covered best you can.

For me, I think 35" tires are about max for the 22r/re and long drives (i assume you're diffs are geared). AAA membership can come in handy. :twocents:
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

Josey1972 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '19
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2019, 04:00:55 PM »
The front shaft doesnt turn while on the road, unless your hubs are locked.

I have always driven my stuff to the trail. I dont own a trailer.
Make sure your brakes are good, all oil's/fluids fresh, nuts/bolts are tight and keep up on preventative maintenance.  Bring your tool box.

The cage may bring some unwanted attention. Anything you can do to keep the truck looking like it belongs on the road will help keep the police away.  Run good mudflaps and keep tires covered best you can.

For me, I think 35" tires are about max for the 22r/re and long drives (i assume you're diffs are geared). AAA membership can come in handy. :twocents:

Thanks. The 38 Swampers make me feel fine up to 50. I haven’t pushed it past that. The next set of tiers will be radials. Yes, I am geared in 5.29’s. Right, manual hubs. That the Full time 4WD in me thinking about the DC shaft.

Your comments about the police are interesting. We dont get a lot of static about it in Indiana. I know California has heavy restrictions but if I’m from out of state not sure what would be said. I have mirrors and all lights working. Seat belts working.
1989 Single Cab Crawler with the do-dads. 1992 80 Series, well built. 2000 100 series. Tundra

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2019, 05:27:58 PM »
Thanks. The 38 Swampers make me feel fine up to 50. I haven’t pushed it past that. The next set of tiers will be radials. Yes, I am geared in 5.29’s. Right, manual hubs. That the Full time 4WD in me thinking about the DC shaft.

Your comments about the police are interesting. We dont get a lot of static about it in Indiana. I know California has heavy restrictions but if I’m from out of state not sure what would be said. I have mirrors and all lights working. Seat belts working.
Im in Washington state. About everywhere I wheel requires climing a mountain pass. The big hills keep me on 35's. Its all good though, they do everything  I need them to.

I haven't been hassled to much other than when I forget to put my flaps on.  They dont like Toyota's with tires sticking out. Dont seem to care as much about the jeeps.  I did have state patrol go absolutely nuts with a tape measure. He said my sliders where illegal, bumpers where to high, tires stick out, etc. I made some bolt on flaps to help cover the front tires and forgot about it, he was ridiculous
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

Josey1972 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '19
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2019, 06:03:00 PM »
I will keep that in my notes for visits to less friendly states.

Thanks for the advice.